2nd stage distal Urethroplasty

Posted , 4 users are following.

Thought i would share my recent experiences as i am about to go in for the 2nd part of surgery, to sew my penis back together which is great news. However i can't find very much info on this or people who have had it done. 

In brief i will tell you what i have had done so far (in plain english where possible). It started by having an issue with going to the toilet, i would take a very long time as the stream was very thin, albeit very strong. it was found that i had a stricture in my penis which is simply a damaged part of tube which you pee out of. after an exporitory exam and xray it was suggested i needed a distal urethroplasty ( i am a fit and healthy, married 44 year old). The 1st stage went well and the only things to be aware of are erections while you are asleep, they are painful because your penis is heavily wrappoed in bandages and the erection has nowhere to go. Also your cheek get very sore where they take the skin graft and after 3 1/2 months its still 'lumpy' but im sure thsi will go down. the major shock was when they took the bandages off, good grief there is nothing that can prepare you for what your prozed possesion looks like, something similar to a split barbequed sausage is the only thing i can compare it to. looking after it and keeping it clean was quite simple and believe me you get used to what it looks like, although my wife hasn't! 

Sorry for being to the point here but sex was quite simply out of the question but i'm sure if anyone was really desperate it would be possible. Masturbation is doable just to make sure the old chap still functions and although very strange it all works ok.

I work from home so was back in the office after a couple of days albeit sitting in a chair was not very comfortable. You can get back to normal life as soon as the cafater is out and the bandages are off, after about a week. You do however walk like a cowboy for a few weeks until you get comfortable with things.

I am about to go in again to have things sewn back together as the skin graft has taken well and peeing is over in a matter of seconds, just how it should be.

If anyone has gone through the 2nd stage i would love to hear about your experience and how quickly things heal.

Happy to answer any questions if anyone is about to go through it as it can be quite worrying.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am 3-days in to my 2nd Stage repair. My penis is all dressed up and connected to a Catheter. The dressing is due to be removed on Thursday but the Catheter needs to remain in place for three-weeks.

I have no idea on what the wound looks like. It doesn't hurt, just the odd twinges from the Catheter.

• Posted

Hi Wesley2014, could i ask where you had it done (private message if you prefer) and keep in touch on how the recovery is going.

i'm going in next friday 7th august and can't wait.

• Posted

Hey. Waiting for it is the worst, just seems to drag so hopefully the wait isn't too long for you.

Had my first stage done back in December 2014 and the second stage on Friday 24th July 2015. It was carried out by UCLH and I cannot fault them at all.

The first day or two after the second stage I thought was easy living with the catheter and having little pain. But now the catheter is rather annoying as is not even close to being removed. More discomfort than pain but the dressing comes off tomorrow so I can finally see what they've done.

• Posted

I couldnt agree more, although i only had my 1st stage on 10th April so much shorter time than you.

I'm having mine at Epsom hospital and likewise, they have been fantastic so far. 

i found the catheter really uncomfortable first time round and that was only for a week so not looking forwars to having it for 3 weeks, but at least there is an end in sight. good luck and wish you well soon.

• Posted

A quick update after my 2nd stage repair. The operation went very well and much like 'wesly2014' there is littl pain and just some discomfort from the catherter. The repair was carried out 2 weeks ago and the catherter is already out which makes a world of difference. The surgeon is very happy and now just needs to heal. It it still bruised and has a number of stitches which will disolve in time (the last lot of stithces took about 2 months to completely go) and there is some scabbing at the top. But i feel great and able to pee without any issues. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.