2nd THR 7/25/16

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my left hip replaced 1/2013 and now I have to have right hip replaced on the above date.  My fiirst went great, I was playing tennis & raquetball 3 months after surgery, and playing hockey after a year.

What have ppl experienced with a 2nd hip replacement ?

Thanks for any help !

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dr. Brett Gilbert Raleigh NC
  • Posted

Hi Rich,  warm welcome to this friendly forum of hippies - 

Sounds you had a great healing of  your 1st THR  and there shouldn't be any reason why the 2nd one would be any different - I had 2 THR surgeries within 6 mnths-It will all come back to you eventhough I have been told that you can't compare them - is there any particular question you have?  big warm hugrenee

• Posted

Thanks fort he welome !!  This hip is responding differently to advil etc, in that way it seems worse than the first one.  With the first one I had a really bad limp.  This one not really.  I dont really have a specific question, I was just curious about other peoples experinces.  Have a great day all  !
  • Posted

Hi Rich - I am interested in the answers you get too as I had my first in late Feb and should have my second done late this summer.

The one common theme I've heard through various discussions is that it is rare to have the same experience and it sounds as if experiences with your second hip are already bearing this out.

It is great that you recovered so well from the first though - suggests that you were a 'good' patient (complying w restrictions, exercises, etc.).

Make sure to tell us where you hale from asmembers come from three continents and there are some surprising differences in experiences and system issues.

In any case, welcome and good luck.

L

• Posted

I live in NC, originally from NY.

My left hip, was my first hip that was replaced.  It was really bad, The surgeon said it was as bad as it could  have been. I put it off as long as i could due to my age, I was 53.  I also thought I couldnt play hockey anymore, that is also why I put if off for so long.  

I deliver the mail so my surgeon said no work for 7 weeks, so all i did was rehab 6 days a week !! i hope this one goes as well !!

• Posted

Good morning from the Netherlands, 

My right hip was done first in March 2016 - bone-on-bone so to speak -

It all went well for a couple of weeks and then I started to get this familiar groin pain on the left - At 6 weeks follow up appointment, x-ray showed that cartilage in left hip had gone down rapidly and also needed THR - I was devastated - 2nd THR in September 2016 - the months in between were very challenging - (mildly expressed) - the strain out on my new hip because of the bad other hip/leg was not conducive to healing - so it got worse and I was looking forward to the surgery - 

You have a great advantage that your new, left hip is strong and are probably very fit - 

To have 2 new hips made me feel euphoric - more confidence, no more grinding pain - 

In my humble opinion, I think 7 weeks before returning to delivering might be a bit optimistic ..

are you getting the posterior or anterior approach ?

are you still working?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Greetings from North Carplina, USA.

Wow, your 2nd hip went down hill quickley.

My new bad hip started bothering me June  2015.  It has bas been bone on bone for at least 6 months.

My left hip is in great shape, and should help me with rehab etc..  

It was the surgeons call on the 7 weeks, I am confident he knows what he is doing, he has done 1000's of surgeries.

My surgery is posterior.

I am still working.  My mail route is not a walking type route, there is somw walking up to homes with packages etc...

I still play tennis/raquetball/swim and lift weights 6 days a week.  I was playing hockey up until last Dec but I stepped on a tennis ball and sprained my ankle badly !!

Have a great DAY !

Rich

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.