2nd Total hip replacement scheduled for March 7

Posted , 7 users are following.

On March 20, 2012 I fell, had hip pinning first- was still in excruciating pain so on June 15,2012 had RTHR via anterior approach. Never felt painfree for all these years. I had found a ortho in St. Louis that found all what is wrong: need RTHR, torn tendons, bursitis, misplaced ligaments,Went in for tendon repair in spring of 2013, then they found bursitis so had surgeryto remove bursa sacs later in 2013. All in same incision. Had surgery scheduled June 2015, went for my pre-op and the found heart trouble so surgery cancelled and had triple by-pass.In October, 2016 My cardio finally released me. So now my RTHR is Scheduled for March 7, 2017. Another lateral and he said I will have 3 months of strict precautions. I have heard that after first THR it is a longer recovery and more chance of dislocating. Does anyone know about this?

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Since summer I have been in excruciating pain and can't drive, no social life. Hard for me to go to grocery store with someone as I can't finish my shopping before soo much pain that I can barely make it to car with soneone's help. In bed alot these days, hard for me to sit for more than half an hour at a time. I will be glad to have this surgery and hope it improves my life. Although, surgery is always scary and I am scared.

• Posted

Hi Charlotte, my R THR is scheduled

Also for March 7th. We should need to keep in touch. I am new here but have been reading many posts on here and find it very encouraging. Everyone and every has its own progress and healing time, not to be compared but I have read quite a few posts that say the second time around was easier for them. I'm sure that soon you will receive many answers to your question. Maybe not many until tomorrow morning because of time change differences. Many are sleeping now. I am out in North Idaho in the Pacific time zone.

I am 65 and this is my first time.

Nice to talk to you

Cherdonnay

• Posted

I am in Illinois and it would be nice to keepin contact with each other regarding our prgresses. I am 63. Thank You Cherdonnay.
    • Posted

You have been through a lot this past year with the heart surgery and allI am writing more
    • Posted

I injured my R hip over 20 years first time with a fall on ice while cross country skiing then several years later slipped on ice again, getting out of my keep. Ended up on the ground with R leg still in jeep. Several little injuries along the way. I went to physical therapy off and on over the years and it helped some but never really pain free. The last couple years my R knee started having pain a lot. I figured it was because I walk wired and things aren't lined up right. So I went to the dr and X-ray showed my hip is "toast" the way dr put it. I need a THR My knee has some OA in in but isn't too bad. Pain in knee is from hip😦

You will be so glad to have your surgery after having to wait so long. And I think each day gets worse until we get it fixed. Good luck to uou

• Posted

Sorry about some of the spelling. My phone is doing auto correct

I sitting here in front of fire place knitting a scarf, keeping warm.

• Posted

Hi, Charlotte, I'm in Minnesota. You have definitely been through the ringer. I'm glad they discovered the heart problems when they did. My father's problems were discovered when they tested him for a healthy heart baseline; no indications of problems before but a family history. I just had a third hip replacement on the same hip December 28th and at my follow-up, and before, I was told it was going to be a slow recovery. Talk to your surgeon, I'm sure he/she will have a general idea even though everyone has their own rate of recovery. I don't think my recovery will be more difficult, rather just slower.

• Posted

Oh my goodness...I'm so sorry about your pain! I know there will be lots of support on here.  Good luck with everything.   Come back often.  There's always a listening ear x

• Posted

I had my first THR on 8th November, and the only scary thing that happened was waking up whilst the count for a certain election was going on! It was better than textbook the surgeon said. No pain from the start. Not even from the surgery. Like instantly being my original hip back but without the damage. Easy  recovery and despite doing several daft things, no dislocations.

I don't think there is a recipe - every person has their own experience. Some sail through, others don't, and most have an average time of it.

• Posted

Thanks to all of you for your encouraging words. My 1st surgery was no fun during recovery. Went to physical therapy afterwards and think the also caused pain in addition to surgeon who didn't put the hip in correctly. The ball now is not fully in socket. March, 2012 I was gardening and went a flyin', couldn't move, laid there for uite awhile until my neighbor heard me yelling - not a pretty sight - lol. I have been retired for 7 years and this will be my 7th surgery - 4 on this same hip, 50% removal of kidney, gallbadder and heart of which I didn't know I had any problems there, but good thing the drs. found - they said I wouldn't have woke up from surgery otherwise.I Thank Our Dear God everyday.

• Posted

Hi Charlotte:  So sorry to hear about your many health issues.   My THR was 4 months ago and I'm still in constant pain and difficulty going from sitting to standing.  My surgeon says all the x-rays are perfect but he also claims he's never seen anything as severe as what I'm experiencing after this amount of time. He's recommended I get a second opinion, but he wants it to be with one of his doctor friends.  I would rather get an independent second opinion. 

The St Louis surgeon you found sound exactly what is needed.  Would you give me the name of the one who diagnosed your problems?   I have found a Dr Clohisey who specializes in revisions and wondered if that is the same one who gave your diagnosis.    Thanks so much and best wishes for your upcoming surgery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.