2nd venesection today, is it normal to feel crap afyer them?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, Had my 2nd venesection today. 1st one took ages and blood wasnt flowing felt pretty good after, 2nd one today and blood flew out within about 5 mins and now feel really tired and pretty dreadful. Is that normal?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

How much blood did they take out?

I get 0.5 liter taken out every 6 weeks and feel really crap after and the next day but after that I pick up.

My whole procedure takes about an hour (thats with hydrating fluid included.

• Posted

Hi, yes same amount but every 3 weeks, have a drip at the same time. Just feel so exhausted!
    • Posted

How long does that feeling last?

I never had them done that often so can't help you, sorry.

Hope they will do them less frequently soon.

• Posted

My first one tool a long time. Maybe 40 minutes for half a litre. The second one was much quicker. Half the time. Now I know that the veins in one arm are a bit crooked so I tell the nurse that she has to hold the needle in a certain way to make the blood flow.
  • Posted

Yes, though it wont do much to ease your symptoms and you can feel tired for upto a week unless your lethargic anyway, which i am a lot of the time.
  • Posted

l must be lucky - l don't feel any different - my 3 monthly "donation" takes less than 30 minutes and l then have a 10 minute brisk walk back to my car from the oncology department at the hospital. l do try to increase my fluid intake on these days, both before and after.

• Posted

Hi Sarah I only had one about a year ago.  I started feeling dizzy while it was going on.  And my bp dropped really low.  I felt horrible the whole day and the next.  The nurse told me to drink a lot of water before and after.  Of course they didn't tell me prior.  So yeah, feeling like crap is normal.  

• Posted

Hello Sarah. . . . . I have blood pulled about every 6 to 8 weeks, they always pull 500 cc from me. Takes about 15 mins for them to do it. I usually try to Hydrate myself before and after the procedure. I usually feel really tired and drained for a couple days after. I always make my appointment on a Friday afternoon so I have the weekends to relax and get re-energized before work on Monday. . . . . .but it is normal to feel that way ! ! ! .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.