2nd week of meds and feeling low

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is my 2nd week of taking Citalopram 20mg, feeling low and so irritable as well.

The slightest thing annoys me at home and at work! probably more stressed too than i was.

Thought i was coping but guess today is a bad day!

I have a review of meds tomorrow with my GP.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Dawn,

Most people will tell you that this is a normal reaction to Cit and that these are early days still. The moods you describe  sound like the ones that come in waves, one minute you feel fine the next you could explode and then a wave of melancholy. All this makes us question the meds working instead of normal day to day stuff. See what doc says tomorrow. Take a walk this evening in the fresh air, you will be surprised at how it can lift your mood. Take care

• Posted

thank you for your help smile seeing my gp tonight so will let you know what happens

• Posted

Not been on it myself and your description fits with what I know about Citalopram.

Relax and see this phase as temporary. Sometimes the road of meds is bumpy and you have to ride it out until you reach the smoother bits in the distance. Fresh air and exercise will help.

• Posted

thank you for that, helps to know things will get better.

• Posted

Hang in there Dawn it took me a little while to start feeling normal again, serontonin needs to build up it wont happen straight away and thats the hard part keep taking them stay focused on the light at the end of the tunnel smile I did and feel great and have stopped taking them you wil be ok!

• Posted

thank you for the help, good to know that they help. guess its early days for me still.

thank fully i found a gp willing to listen as i have had bad experiences with certain gps at my practice.

• Posted

it takes up to 6 weeks for citrapram to work proply,trust me i know from my own doings,im on betta blockers 10mg twice a day that stops the adrenalin rushes and making me paranoide,its a long battle but just keep up the fight,what dosent kill you makes you stronger
  • Posted

Citalopram was the first antidepressant the GP put me on at it took a while to work. I would just be patient (easier said than done I know) but if you are feelin irritable Sertraline may work for you. 

Good luck with the GP. 

• Posted

Giving it more time on the citalopram, hoping that it will work and i know i need to give it time.

thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.