3. Cybernetic Loops - What does your body language say about you?

Posted , 6 users are following.

If your body posture is a reflection of your internal state and how you feel – which it is. Then your body language also helps to reinforce that mental state by producing the appropriate chemicals within your body to maintain that state.

It’s called a Cybernetic Loop.

Have you ever tried smiling when you are angry? If you have you’ll know it’s hard to do. That’s because your mind is saying one thing and your body is doing another. But if you can manage to raise a smile you’ll notice that right away you stop being angry.

Maybe you don’t feel like smiling because you’re depressed and feel quite rightly that you have nothing to smile about. But smile, and when you do, know that I will make a difference. Or maybe you’d prefer to stay depressed?

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I admire your positive attitude but feel it's misplaced on this website which is followed by patients with mental health problems

such as depression.

It is an illness not an attitude to everyday life.

Positive thinking is great for people with worries or stresses of life, but it is not a cure for an illness.

I suffer from depression, anxiety, ptsd, childhood rape. Telling me to smile and it will all go away is (lost for words ).

Your a well meaning person but way off mark.

Mike.

• Posted

My thanks to you mike for at least trying to be civil.

But wow…I can’t believe I came back to my post to find people mocking and insulting me.

Frankly I’m disgusted at the lack of community shown to me, by our so called community. The replies are quite hurtful, but it’s interesting to note that they could raise their game enough to laugh and joke and poke fun at me, even though they are depressed. I imagine it made them feel better – just like I said it would.

But as for yourself mike, you assumed much, given you know nothing about me. So let’s be clear I am man who has suffered from depression for over 30 years, with episodes that often lasted for 12 months and more. Deep and dark depression that almost put me over the edge. So I speak from knowledge and experience, not to mention my detailed and in depth study of our condition. I know what I’m talking about.

It really is shame that people are so fixed and blinkered by their own outdated views (CB Loops are a well established fact for those who’ve done their homework). The people that mock new ideas (like those who mocked Eratosthenes and Columbus) should learn to take a broader look at life, and be more open to new ideas – even if they seem a little strange at first. You never know, they might even find a few of the answers they’ve been searching for.

• Posted

It is never a good idea  to try and drain the Swamp when you are up to your eyes in Alligators or so I have heard

B

• Posted

Any effect would only be marginal. As someone said, on here, if a smile got rid of depression/anxiety, there would be no such thing, and no need for antidepressants. Forced smiling hasn't got rid of your depression which you've had for twenty years. right?

• Posted

So basically your enthusiasm has got the better of you

so what medication are you on?

• Posted

Hi,

I embrace change, and I am always looking for new ideas and innovations.

I know nothing of cybernetic loops, but plenty about depression.

I have suffered for 60 years, thankfully for many of those years my darkest experiences were buried deep within my brain but unfortunately, in the wrong part of my brain.

When these memories were released I had no way of knowing how to deal with them so had a mental breakdown.

I had cbt, helped my mood swings nothing else.

I was assessed by a physiciatrist who was unsympathetic to my situation and had nothing helpful to say other than it happned a long time ago, get over it, lose some weight you look older than your 66 years.

That you have found something that helps you, that's fantastic, for you.

Don't be hurt because you were not given the reverance you felt you deserved. The man that invented the square wheel, so that it would not roll

backwards going up a hill, was right, until someone else invented the brake.

Stupid, yes but it made me smile the first time I heard it. Not for long though.

Mike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.