3 Months after THR left leg experiencing lower back pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

Suffer from arthritis in the L5 region and noticed lately significant aching and pressure in my lower back across my buttock cheeks. So I took out the CD of my hip xrays from a year ago and I noticed my pelvis was slightly tipped towards the left leg which I had the surgery on. There was no cartilage left in the socket compared to the other side and it was bone on bone. So now Im thinking this pressure could be because once the surgery was done it leveled out the pelvic region. My body is probably getting used to balancing the pelvic region once again.Anyone else experiencing extreme pressure in the lower back.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am having the exact problem. Im only 4 wks post op. My latest x ray show a tilt. I wonder if you are right!! . The lower back pain is like a spasm cramping sensation
    • Posted

Mine is intense pressure and awful when I wake up. I walk around the house rubbing my buttocks and lower back area. lol hubby just looks at me chuckling. But it is intense pressure  no spasm or cramping. Ben Gay back rub has been my best friend lately lol.

• Posted

I also have L4-5 & S1 back problems, yes my lower hurts some but I get injections in it,& had one prior to my surgery hoping it would help, I feel a big differance in standing as I was so bent forward due to the back & hip pain, but mine was a left hip also, & it was all bone on bone, I think after the surgery our whole spine is going to feel differant. Have you seen what this surgery puts our whole body through, it's incerdiable, plus we're so tense from laying on our backs & lack of a good nights sleep, I'm 3 weeks today, so I had a lot of thigh pain today that I haven't felt as much I'm thinking because of all the swelling, now with swelling going down I'm starting to feel more of everything, Now I'm feeling more pain in the right hip, & I know it's bad but I'm thinking maybe a cortisone shot might help, not another THR.

Again I dont know how long it is for you but I do but tighting excersises while I'm lying down, they are also good for the lower back.

Hope your feeling better, if not & your pain gets worse, I'd talk with your Dr. could be a nerve being pinched from everything you've gone through.

• Posted

Hi. As yet i have not had thr but when discussing pros n cons with the surgeon he did say that i could expect problems with my back approx 4wks post op.

This is due to the long standing probs with my spine and the manipulation done in theatre plus getting mobile with differing stance etc.

Just take your time n think positive. Issues if persisting could be discussed at follow ups but i have been told this is why longer recovery maybe necessary.

Best wishes x

• Posted

I am a 69 year old lady - also 3 months post left  'thr' surgery - and experiencing lower back pain plus, buttock pain.  In addition to this, I also am experiencing a great deal of pain in my left ankle, calf and knee. However, my thr was on the site of two previous surgeries (one at 13 years old - slipped epiphysis - and another at 26 - pelvic osteotomy) that left me with the left leg 3/4 inch (2cms) shorter than the other....   During my thr, my surgeon cleverly adjusted things so that after all these years - I am finally level!!! 😄   Therefore, I am aware that all the pains are actually my body trying to slowly readajust itself after being lopsided for so long.   Added to the above, at 10 weeks post op, my physiotherapist happened to notice that my left ankle was swollen - made me take off my shoes - and declared; "Good grief!! As well as your ankle turning in....these are the flattest feet I ever seen. We need to get you seen by a podiatrist to get your feet aligned - otherwise the amazing work of your surgeon could be in jeapody." She went on to explain that whilst all the muscles and tendons in the hip are trying to strengthen and reposition themselves into the correct position.....the muscles and tendons in my feet, ankles and knees are working against them.  She thinks that once things are sorted out by a podiatrist - I should see a great improvement.  Thanks to physiotherapist, my doctor has ensured that an appointment was made.....and I'm due to attend the podiatry clinic on the 28th of this month for a 'full biomechanical assessment.'   So, it seems that the discomforts, pains and concerns we all seem to have are generally because our bodies are trying to mend, as well as stretch, every muscle, sinew, nerve and tendon in order to get back them into their correct positions.  Although I was walking without any aids at 3 weeks, my surgeon said to be prepared for all sorts of 'ups & downs' regarding aches and pains for some time - as it takes at least a year to 18months for things to fully stabilise themselves.  Meanwhile...I'm just delighted to be 'leve' after all these years....😄😄😄
    • Posted

Hi Dorothy, I just read your post, wow I to have the back problems, & both feet are so flat, I was thinking about that also, I had used orthodics for years, then the back hip & knee problemd started, after awhile, I just felt like I couldn't stand any shoes, so I stopped wearing them, now I have had 2 knees & 1 hip done,I also have OA spinal stenosis, & have been walking with a forward gait for years, but after reading your post I think I am going to mention this to my hip surgeon the next visit, my feet are so flat I can barely wear any shoes except for sneekers, & I miss my pretty shoes, it's been so long, I have them all in duffle bags, haha, was going to give them away.

Well I hope you stay on the path of walking good, & take care, glad I saw your post !! 

• Posted

Are you doing physical therapy? I have a herniated disc and spinal stenosis and also having back pain. Surgeon said this might happen. I also pulled the oblique side muscle on the non operated side which is causing more pain than my hip. I'm doing PT and he is doing what he can for the strain but a difficult muscle to heal.This is my 9th week and feeling so frustrated. I agree that our bodies probably need to readjust. Physical Therapist feels that once the core is stronger the back will improve. I hope so. Maybe that is the case for you too. I want to be happy I did this.  So far - not so much.
  • Posted

Get somebody to look at you from behind, stand straight in bare feet, is your pelvis tilted over at the waist, or looking high on one side, again at the waist, a shoe lift on the opposite foot, available at the chemist might help, it might be all you need. I have also severe pain from hip replacement, after a battle with Dr's denying there was a problem, I took it upon myself to research and discovered I may have a leg length discrepancy. A Long Leg x-ray (floor to waist) proved my claim, (not all x-ray clinics do it), 20mm or 3/4 inch, the problem is it is not all in my hip replacement, 10mm is in my lower leg, and also two different size balls in prothesis, one is about 25mm and the other is 38mm, that in itself accounts for another 13mm. its confusing, imagine a golf ball on one side and a small marble on the other side.  I would still reccomend hip replacement if you need it, I am a lot better than I was before surgery, with bone on bone.
    • Posted

As far as myself  having someone look at me from behind.....

I have Loooooooooooooove handles they may alter the appearance anyways lol. But I did look up on YouTube many videos from therapists about tilted pelvis and the exercises they suggested etc. I had hip replaced already Im feeling its my spine adjusting to the adjustmet of raising the left hip to meet the right one because of the implant. Surprisingly I did a 4 hour shopping and errand trip today for my parents and the only pain I felt thank God was just tension no pain actually just tension. Good practice run for when I return to work in two weeks Yeah! smile

• Posted

You need to get on top of this before your back really gets bad.  I too have arthritis and have been struggling with Leg length discrepancy. or LLD. You may have a leg length discrepancy, but x-ray does not show the true story. Get somebody to look at you from behind, in your undies, is one hip higher than the other. Yes or no, easy answer to straighten yourself up get a shoe insert from chemist, and wear lift on short side. and or wear a shoe on one foot only around the house, does it make you feel better, yes or no. I had to resort to LONG LEG X-RAY to prove that I was long. Only limited amout of clinics do it. My Problem became even more complicated after that, they found I had natural long left leg below knee, another length added because protheses could have been tapped in another fraction of and inch, but that is within range of acceptable (to them) I am learning to cope with diffuculty. Lots of swimming or non weight bearing exercises.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.