3 months off methadone and feeling better .. success

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys 

Well heres my story .. i was taking methadone for 8 years (around 40ml a day ) and after a sudden pain in my side and generally feeling unwell i decided to stop 

i managed to taper myself down to 4ml .. this was both physically and mentally hard however when i hit 4ml i decided to get help to reduce to nothing .... i was on 4ml for 3 weeks ... then 2ml for 4 weeks and then 1ml for 4 weeks ... and then nervously i went to nothing,however i was expecting to be ill however i wasnt ... 

but at around 1 month clean i discovered what the pain in my side was ... i had 3 slipped discs ( 1 x thorasic and 2 lumbar ) allthough it was the thorasis ( T5/T6 ) that was causing the pain on the left side 

i was given gabapentin for the pain ( as no doctor in my surgery will prescribe opioids to me even for slippped discs ) ... however 3 months down the line the gabapentin seem to be working and in combination with naproxen things seem to getting better 

so basically coming off methadone isnt easy but it can be done ... its the mental side thats hard .. hostility and anger was common and it drove me crazy but thats behind me now 

granted i will allways be recovering but i make the most of life now and am so happy i am off methadone ... ok it works for many people but i hear more negatives than positives regarding it 

thanks for listening and take care 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Congratulations Brianthesnail!!!!

May I ask why you started methadone in the first place, or does that go without saying? I have often wondered if it is any better for you, or any less addictive than what they give it to treat in the first place. Thoughts? 

I hope that your slipped discs soon heal, that does sound painful, but I am glad you have found other relief. Take care of yourself and keep it up!!!!!!

Congratulations again. 

• Posted

Hi judi 

i started methadone 8 years ago .. it was sort of strange .. i had previously been on co-proxamol for 6 years and when my doctor stopped these ( kind of odd since it was the doctor who put me on them )  i suppose i still wanted that opioid buzz and was offered methadone ... within months i was addicted and the rest is history

is it better ?  ohhh yes ....  as a addict said to me one day coming off heroin is like a day in disneyland compared to coming off methadone ..

as i mentioned i wasnt given it for any abuse of narcotics .. i was just young and stupid and it was only at the end i was officially prescribed it .. prior to this i simply purchased it on the street ... cost me thousands but hey thats the past 

the discs are problematic but with the gabapentin and naproxen they seem to be ok ... initially i couldnt take more than 2 x gabapentin daily but now im on 5 x daily ... the doctor thinks it may of been the methadone still in my systems interacting with the gabapentin ... but now its ok and my mind is clearer and i can think normally again 

anyway thanks for the reply ... and best wishes 

bri 

• Posted

Thanks Bri, keep it up, and good luck!

I take morphine myself, but took gabapentin once and my entire faced swelled like a balloon (I couldn't even see my eyes were swollen over). So none of that stuff for me, I'm allergic to everything—except opioids it seems... 

Best to you

• Posted

gabapentin has a nasty side effect in mostly women were they either put on weight or like you it can cause swelling ....  its took me months to get to 400mg daily of gabapentin .. probally due to the post opioid side effects ( takes a while for the methadone to leave your body even when clean ) 

best wishes judi and happy xmas razz

• Posted

me to 3 months clean it was hard as ever run out of meth on hoilday in Orkney which they don't have it up there so had no choice but so glad l did 14 years is long time on that and it's wrong should not be given and if it is 6 weeks cut down not leave people like us in it for years joke hope the law changes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.