3 weeks post op

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello everybody, I haven't been on for a good few days, been feeling a bit miserable.

2 out of the last 4 nights I have had terrible pain in the groin/joint area on my op side, whilst trying to sleep. I haven't over done anything and don't understand why it's happened. As soon as I get out of bed and go downstairs or during the daytime and evening it's ok, no pain!

I'm going tomorrow to hopefully get my steristrips and dressing off finally, the scar should be healed surely. And I'm desperate to be able to shower again. I wil ask the nurse about the joint pain also.

My thigh is beginning to feel much better, not to much pain unless I stretch it to far. I can walk up the stairs with the 1 crutch but 1 step per each foot ( if you know what I mean ). The thigh still feels a little tight whilst doing it but should start to ease a little now.

I can now fully dress myself, including shoes and socks, still have to use my grabber though.

Ive been walking the dog everyday now and going a little farther each time. She's loving it!

I'm also hoping to ease myself back into work in a couple of weeks if all goes well.

Hope everyone is keeping well, best wishes to all,

Mark

4 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You sound to be doing really well apart from the sleeping. Are you still sleeping on your back?

Keep your spirits up. Enjoy the first shower, I was fortunate to have waterproof dressings on my op sites.  I always thought that a shower in the morning was the best part of the day pre-op and just as pleasurable post op!

Good luck with your return to work but make sure you are painfree first!

Best wishes

Barbara

• Posted

Thanks Barbara, I did have w/proof dressing and took showers but when I had staples removed it hadn't healed fully so had to have steristrips and dressing for extra 2 weeks and no showering 😩

Believe me I won't go back to work until I am completely ready.

Best wishes,

Mark

• Posted

Ah you sound like u doing brill so far don't be too had on yourself! Most of us seem to yo yo up and down . Get everything checked and you will def feel so much better after a shower I can't imagine not being allowed one !

Take care Denise

• Posted

Thank you so much for the support Denise. I think tomorrow will be a better day, all showered and clean hopefully.

Best wishes,

Mark x

• Posted

hello mark.    I am now 4 weeks post op.....I have had days when I have felt really low and frustrated with dropiing things..so I think it is par fr the course.  In hopital they told me it was the 'hip blues' !

​Night times I dread and lying still with the constant fear of disloaction doesn't help..geting up and walking about hjelps relieve the pain that anyone would have lying in one position for hours on end.  I saw Physio yaeterday who auures me the groin pain in normal so try to take comfort from that..the staples and stiches were removed 2 weeks ago so that made s huge difference.  how are you getting on feeding the dog?  Feeding my cats is a nightmare..just now dropped the bowl face downso they couldn't eveneat the food on the carpet...that is waht makes me frutrated..afre you on your own?  I dropped my house keyes outside a few days ago and there was no way i coujld pick them up..a helpful lady on this site, Dot, told me how to stretch opearted leg out backwards..but still nervous.

​You are doing better re dressing as socks are still a challenge!

Keep smiling.

Ali 2

• Posted

Hi Alice

re feeding cats Amazon sell pet bowls with long handles attached called no bend pet bowls. Not very expensive and I've found them invaluable for feeding my cat

• Posted

Hello Ali 2. Not heard anything from you for a while. I'm sorry that you have hit the frustrating period, but by all accounts it's just a phase that will inevitably give way to better times. I'm sure this will be the same for you. I so admire you for coping with all this on your own. You are very brave.

My op is tomorrow and I'm pretty nervous. Scared of it all, but especially of being sick from meds. I  know you will relate to that one.

You keep smiling too - you are four weeks ahead of me. I'm jealous!

• Posted

dear ali2 ,

oh those darn days when nothing goes right. ..I have dropped plates, bowls and eggs! !!!This all around week 3 post-up after 1st THR. . and I live alone ...

can you feed the kittens on kitchen counter or table?

goodnight sweetheart

big hug

Renee

• Posted

Hi Ali2, I can hardly believe four weeks have gone by already.

I remember when you first came on the forum.

• Posted

Hi Angela. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow with the op and the meds. I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow and remember it all very well! Although I do think the decision to have the surgery, and the few days leading up to it, were pretty bad with anxiety. At least after surgery you don't have the anxiety of the surgery in front of you. 

All the best for tomorrow.

• Posted

Thank you! I'll be so glad this time tomorrow when it's over.

Angela

• Posted

Hi Ali, I do the bending with my op side leg backwards as well, makes bending  so much easier. You wouldn't believe how clumsy I have become, it's a bloody joke. I drop everything and anything, if you hear a clang in our house you know it's me without looking. I think I have had my hands replaced with rubber ones at the same time as my hip replacement!

Luckily I have my girl with me and she has been incredible apart from banishing me to the spare room because I can't sleep! ha ha

This mood malarkey really is frustrating isn't it, up and down all the time. I should be more positive cos we hippies have come through a lot and are just starting on the road to a better life.

Thanks for the support, best wishes Mark x

• Posted

hi mark,

so sorry that you're having these pains at night. .

are you still taking your pain medication?

it seems that you are doing great otherwise.

week 3 -5 are sort of dangerous. ..you feel so much better and start

doing more. .It's so easy to overdo it ..even though you don't think that

you do ..

don't rush. ... listen to your body. ..it tells you when you need to slow

down.

be gentle with your self. ..it is still early in your recovery

wishing you a pain free night with hours of uninterrupted sleep

big warm hug

Renee

• Posted

Hi Renee, yeah still taking the meds. Tramadol is the strong one.

I think you're right, I feel as though I can do more than I should. I think I will feel a whole lot better tomorrow after the dressing etc is removed.

Take care, best wishes Mark x

• Posted

You seem to be making good progress Mark, especially if you are thinking of a return to work soon. Ups and downs of moods seem to be a common theme, so I hope you are soon on the up. I'm anxiously awaiting my op tomorrow,so I can join you all in hippie land.
    • Posted

Best of luck tomorrow Angela, you will fly through it. It's natural to feel anxious but I promise you, you will wake up when its over and not.have felt a thing. My advice would be to stay in hospital as long as possible because it is hard when you get home.

Be careful, take your time with everything and don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask for help.

Regards 

Mark x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.