3 weeks without relief

Posted , 5 users are following.

I also have severe night time back pain but only when I turn from one side to another. I know the simple answer is don't turn over but I would like to know if anybody else has a similar problem and a remedy 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Does the pain get better or worse when you get up and move around. If the pain is really bad at night but gets better once moving around and excercising you could have AS. If the pain gets worse when moving around then it's probably some sort of physical damage to a disc or muscle etc...google and Read up on ankylosing spondylitis and see if it something similar to your symptoms.

• Posted

Once I get up and start moving around there is no pain at all for the rest of the day. I will look up AS, thanks.
    • Posted

OK I tried to Google AS and got nowhere. So what does it stand for please?
  • Posted

I'm 72 years old, have arthritus and a curvature of my spine...I can't walk nor stand for more than a few minutes before I have both lower back and lower leg pain...At night, I have a difficult time finding a comfortable position dso I toss and turn most of the night...You may have Curvature of Your Spine too which could be causing your pain....

• Posted

Wow! Your description sounds exactly like what I'm currently going through. I can usually start off the night and get to sleep on one side, but when I go to turn over to the other side I experience a sharp lower back pain that can even sometimes cause me to cry out.

I also feel no pain the rest of the day once I'm up and moving about, except for a few caveats.  Sometimes when I sneeze I feel the exact same sharp pain in the same spot. One day the car door got away from me when I was opening it and hit my upper torso which caused the same pain in the same spot again.

Just today the wife and I were out on errands and I stepped off a street curb without realizing it was there and came down hard on my heel.  The pain was 10 times worse than what I experience at night, but same spot once again.

I'm at a loss, but when another poster mentioned AS I found that it refers to ankylosing spondylitis so I'm off to research that.  I'm tired of dreading sleep.  sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.