3 year Old. Snores. Holds breath. Gasps. All night.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello!

Not sure if ive posted in the right section and this needs to be in child health?

Anyway. My daughter is 3, and has always snored so loud. Around 3 months ago though i noticed that she was gasping for breath, holding her breath, and her breathing was generally all over the place.

I finally got ab appointment with an ENT last week & the asked us to do an oxygen test, which we have. And they have booked us back in for June to review the results and consider surgery (she has enlarged tonsils and adenoids)

I want to know though, is she ok to go to june whilst she is breathing so bad in the night? It scares the hell out of me. Last night she stirred and woke herself up because she couldnt breathe and when she went back to sleep i was watching her and she was holding her breath for as long as 17 seconds! Breathing, holding, gasping.

When she had the oxygen teat we attached a little to her toe at homewhich read her oxygen levels in the night. I checked on her and he machine at 2.30Am and she was breathing soooo bad. Her oxygen levels at this point were between 77 & 88. This is not good, right?

Should i call the hospital and ask for a sooner appointment or is she ok to go on like this until June??

Is there any experience with this?

Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jojo,

That does sound quite bad. I think she'd probably be OK to go till June as she's been like this for quite a long time already, but I also think it's a good idea to try and get an earlier appointment. It might be that your GP could pull a few strings for you too.

In the meantime, have you tried positioning her so her head and shoulders are a bit higher? Either by putting something under the head of the mattress or by propping her up with pillows. I know this isn't always easy with little ones as they tend to wriggle down flat again.

Another temporary measure that might just improve things slightly would be to try her with a humidifier in her room. It won't make a big difference, but sometimes dried-out nasal secretions can cause a further problem in already restricted airways.

Maybe you should try posting in the children's section too. There might be someone there who's had a similar problem and can offer more specific advice.

I hope you soon find a solution for your little girl.

• Posted

Thank you lily 😊

I will post in the child section.

She has a humidifier, and she is propped up. I always try to move her onto her side too in the night which seems to not be as bad. But she moves & i cant stop that, obviously.

Urgh im just really worried for her. I guess all i can do is see if i can get an earlier appointment. Thank you x

• Posted

You really are doing all you can for her, but I know how hard it is to keep a small child in any particular position. Does the hospital know the results of the oxygen saturation test, btw? That's really very low and I honestly don't think they should make you wait another three months. (I'm a former nurse, btw, though not a mother myself.)

Do you know, I'd be tempted to bundle her up and drive her to A&E in the night while she's still sleeping, so they can see just how bad her oxygen levels are. Or even to call an ambulance. I know that sounds drastic and would be a misuse of the service but I've seen people do far worse than that.

• Posted

It wouldn't hurt to try for an earlier appointment jojo.

My son was the same when he was younger, they didn't have the same type of tests but he had to have his tonsils and adenoids removed and grommets in his ears (all in one op).

He was fine after he had it done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.