300ml phleb - feeling short changed

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my second phleb this week and looked at the blood bag. I mentioned to the nurse that it didn't look like a pint.She replied that it was 300ml and that was the normal amount.I always understood that it was 450-500 ml.My GP couldn't find anything when he looked it up,so does anyone know? Also,at SF of 1,300 I expected to be going more frequently than every fortnight.Some people go every week for a year,but I have been told I should be on maintenance after 6 months.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Eric,

My levels were at 1440 when I was first diagnosed and I had a pint out every week for a year until my levels were down to 36.

At 1300 I would have thought you should be having phleb more than once a fortnight.

Regards

Dillinger

• Posted

Hi Eric

I put a posting on here some weeks ago, 7th venesection I didn't drop

At all,8th venesection they could only get 250m out,blood just dried up,

Then to further insult me my levels went up 179,

9th venesection 26.9.16 my levels dropped by 219,I have been having a

Lot of really bad muscle pains moving around, neck,shoulder, hip and

Down my leg,whether this is due to venesection I have no idea????

But I'm told any inflammation can affect our levels.

I have conditioned my self not to expect to much from any venesection

Then I'm not disappointed, it will take as long as it takes,

We are much better off than glyn who's levels seldom move.

Come your chin up

Cheers philx

• Posted

Hi Philx, I gave a pint yesterday and the nurse took a sample to test for next Wednesday,  Last week when I got the results it had gone down which was good, but only the ferritin level, the transferrin saturation percentage was still 92% and the Hb 122.    It thought if the ferritin level went down, so would the other two results.     Not the case it seems.   The nurse said, dont' be surprised if the ferritin level is up again next week.   I hope not.   But, she seems to think my severe arthritis is preventing the iron level reducing.    I am just wondering what effect giving a pint of blood every week for a long time has on the body and how do I get the TS% down to between 20 - 50.     We just have to keep going, regards Glyn

• Posted

Hi Glyn

Have you contacted other Hemotology departments around the world

Presenting your medical case,one of them may just have an answer

To your condition??? It cannot hurt to try anything,

As I stated since starting venesections I have definitely started getting

Muscle pains ,so could venesection be making your arthritis worse.

I have another venesection on 13.10.16 then see the hemotologist

The following day i will most certainly be asking if it venesection that's

Giving this joint pain???

Very best wishes glyn I do hope you manage to find an answer to your

Dillema???

Cheers philx

• Posted

My TS% did not reduce until I continued to have 3 monthly venesections when my ferritin was less than 30.

I have never read of any bad effect on the body from giving blood every week as long as your Hb is not <12.5 (125) when you give it.

• Posted

Thanks for yor replies.I'll update if I find out more.Just to be clear though.The bag was full.It was just a smaller bag than the "pints" everyone talks about.

• Posted

Check out the Iron Disorders Institute website - Helpful Forms - Hemochromatosis Reference Chart.  Print it off and take to your dr.  That will give him something to go by.  It is 500cc per week if you are up to it.

I did weekly for about 3-4 months (it was a blur) or more then dropped to fortnightly, then monthly, etc. till I was totally 'de-ironed' (i.e. ferritin level of 13) then moved to 3 monthly maintenance.  Not so straight forward as that, but that was the aim.  Had some ups and downs.  Trying four monthly brought me back to 2 monthly for a couple of years.  It was not a good idea.  Now I stick to 3 monthly no matter what.  I won't let the haemotologist change it again.

• Posted

Thanks Sheryl.I'll use that to ask him why I didn't have 500 taken. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.