30mg Mirtazapine - So angry - Mood swings. Help

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I am new to this but need some help from people in same situation. 

I have been on/off different anti depressants since having my son 3 years ago. I have been taking 30mg of Mirtazapine for 5 weeks now and have been suffering with mood swings, I get really angry at the flick of a switch. Things that would never bother me make me fly off the handle. I'm a real joy to be around (NOT). I have many other side effects too incl night sweats, vivid dreams, lack of energy and complete loss of get up and go. I am seriously thinking of stopping these with immediate effect. Any advise?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have to say I'm feeling exactly the same although the dreams which were initially nightmares has tapered slightly.

I still get the night sweats though and switch between being a sobbing emotional wreck to almost overly happy....

I hope things change/improve for you, go see your GP for advice x

• Posted

I'm sorry you are suffeing with the side effects too, and hope they improve too. 

I have called my docotor and hopefully when they call back they can help. 

Just cant cope with this angry feeling all the time. x

• Posted

I advise you NOT to stop suddenly. Reduce gradually if your doctor agrees. Even after only 5 weeks you could get withdrawal symptoms and they are worse than the original depression in my experience!
  • Posted

I agree with Pixie. Do not just stop taking this medicine. Take 3/4 of a dose for at least ten days and then cut down by another quarter and so on. You may have to go even slower than this, but hopefully not as you haven't been on them long.

Regarding the rages; this seems to be a common problem with mirtazapine. I thought that I never got them but when I think back I did have episodes where I just couldn't bear to be around other people. Like a full on panic attack of severe irritation. It didn't happen too often though. It might be something which settles down for you. I hope so.

• Posted

Hi bianca

I too succumbed to severe moods swings, but couldn't work out if it was my old antidepressant withdrawing or mirtazipine starting! I stayed on mirt only six weeks. Then due to my anger/rages, the gp stopped mirtazipine abruptly. Please don't just stop without tapering off. You may become very unwell if you just stop. I and many others have ended up desperately unwell for just stopping without tapering. I am on day 25 of cold turkey and have only had two good days over this period. The rest of the time, crying, depressed, chronic fatigue accompanied by utter hopeless.

Speak with your doctor and taper whist considering a replacement antidepressant.

I feel for you, as that anger shoots up from nowhere!

Wishing you well bianca ♥♥

God bless

• Posted

Haha i feel like that with out mine i feel much angry and stressed it's well bad sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.