35 years with high cholesterol

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed 35 years ago with cholesterol which was off the scale and still is ,i,m now in my late 60,s and was advised to take statins so I decided to take them ,big mistake taking the first one I had severe pain and vomiting  so threw the rest in the bin ,so my thoughts are I have had high cholesterol  all this time and do not have any heart probs ,I had a scan on my heart and it showed nil calcium build up which is good for a man of my age ,so my thoughts are to not upset the balance of things.and would not touch those statins again ,but dont take my advice everybody has different reactions to drugs

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

wow, you had a reaction that quickly, unbelievable, well i was on crestor since jan 2016, and on and off had sore muscle, joint issues, dr thought arthritis, and i have had those problems, on and off for years, but in last few months, started to have pain, discomfort, in glutes, hamstrings, went to massage etc, dr still thought arthrites, then about 6 wks ago, shoulder pain , discomfort, started, bout month ago, dr decided may be tendonities rotator cuff problems , had xray, ultrasound done, didn,t show enough to contribute to pain, then 2 wks ago,in like 2 days,went to absolute excruciating pain, shoulders especially, but glutes, hips, hamstrings, could hardly dress, brush my hair, raise my arms killed, etc., i am convinced crestor triggered this condition, last 7 days, dr treating me for polymyalgia rheumatica, 40 mg prednisone, pain has subsided, but heavy duty drug i don,t like, another whole set of potential health problems, i had taken myself off crestor, a wk before he started me on pred, he said i did the right thing, although i don,t think he agreed with my theory about what crestor did, anyway, had several bloodtests done, of course shows inflammation now, could be pred, but referred me to rheumatologist , see her next tuesday, i am in shock kind of, never had such a serious potential diagnosis, and if it is polymyalgia, no cure, treatment could be 18 mos or longer, and could relapse, just a real nightmare,

• Posted

Cheryl I have started to use bioceutical muscleze on my neck which still cramps months after stopping statins. You will have to google and hunt around for it in the chemist but I find it really helps. It is magnesium based.
    • Posted

thank you julia,are you kidding me, how long and what type of statin were you on
    • Posted

I think about 5 months now I have been off them but my memory is shot as well have blanks for no reason. Had an MRI but brian looks fine so no tumour or anything like that. Just another side effect of Crestor which is apparently one of the most dangerous statins. Was only on them for 18 months but they have done a lot of damage.  dont think we are allowed to put up links but if you cant find the cream PM me and I will tell you where to look. Sorry but be careful on  prednisone it can send your blood pressure sky high and is really hard to get off, you must be in Aus because GPs in the US now rarely prescribe it due to the dangers.

Are you taking CoQ10 ? and Magnesium ? you need to do that. Look for magnesium that has high Magnesium Chelate and stay away from Magnesium Oxide.

• Posted

thanks for all that info Julia, i am in Canada, i asked my dr about CoQ10, he just brushed that idea off, but then most dr,s don,t agree with natural products in my experience, rather write a script, anyway, i have a lot of questions for the rheumatologist, hope she is co operative in answering them, some dr,s, don,t have the time or don,t want to answer all your questions,your health and well being is up to ourselves these days,
    • Posted

If you are on Statins or have taken Statins you should be on CoQ10 and Magnesium. Google the 2 suppliments and statins, you will find it really interesting. I have given up with doctors though i have to say for a few months I saw a "Canadian" GP who was here on exchange and he was one of the best GPs I have come across his parents were compond pharmasists in Canada and he was willing to listen and look at alternatives. You are right you really have to do a lot of research yourself these days, then just go to the GP for a big of guidence but basically go with what your gut tells you.

• Posted

thanks again Julia, i did read on the CoQ10 bottle,could raise bp, although i am on diovan for high bp, and has been controlled for 10 yrs now ? it,s a very hard thing to figure out, you take one pill for something, then end up with something else, so another pill for that, it,s frustrating, i am 68 yrs old now, so am realizing as you age, a lot of these health issues start to creep up on you, but i am a person who researches everything, sometimes i don,t know if that,s a good thing, you read so much, some of it is contradictory, and scary, but i am not very trusting of dr,s as it seems most want to push the prescription medication, and nowdays, hard to find another dr, for second opinions even, thinking bout getting opinion from a naturopath, but so expensive, 
  • Posted

I feel exactly the same,very reassuring your still here .I was diagnosed 6 years ago but had no other risk factors GP still wanted me on statins.i refused as saw my younger sister have a heart attack whilst on them and my dad crippled with pain from taking them until he died(bowel cancer). I like you will take my chance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.