3rd time septic in 2 month span. Help please.

Posted , 4 users are following.

My mother was admitted to the hospital about a month ago, after fainting in our home. She woke up very weak that morning, but had no prior symptoms before that day. She was diagnosed with sepsis, from a bladder infection. She spent 3 days in ICU on anti-biotics, and was then released.

Week and a half later. She wakes up with the chills and is shaking like nothing I've ever seen. This goes on all day until I finally convince her to let me call an ambulance. By the time the EMT's arrive, she's delirious, but able to answer simple questions. She refuses to go with them. An hour passes and she becomes non communitive and socially unresponsive. I call them back, and they take her out of here on a gourney. A tempeture of 105, and again, diagnosed with sepsis. Only this time, they find some kind of e-coli. 11 days in the hospital on anti-biotics, and then released.

Another week and a half later, to the current date. My mother wakes up acting strange and not herself, so I take her temperature. 102. I immediately call an ambulance and she is taken to the hospital. After spending 3 days in the hospital, she was diagnosed with a severe bladder infection, but NO sepsis. Ultrasound done on bladder. Retaining 20%. But nothing growing on urine tests.

TODAY. Blood shows to be septic and e-coli was also found again.

I appogogize for the long post, but I'm at my wits end. They are treating her infection, but it just keeps returning, and quickly. It seems the infection could be a symptom of something else? If thats the case, treating the infection wont last without finding the source.

Someone please help. Any input is so greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hyperinfection syndrome/Disseminated strongyloidiasis

• Posted

I'm big on that one also, as I am try to control that very conditions atm, just didn't want to narrow the spectrum right off the start.

• Posted

Is something like that possible in kentucky? Google says tropical regions.
    • Posted

Yes, strongyloides are endemic as far north as NY.
    • Posted

Google is not very smart. There are thousands of cases in the United States each year. And not just this one, take elephantiasis for example. The last US cases were in South Carolina, did Google share that info?

Yes of course it's possible in Kentucky. Especially if she has been given steroids as part of her current treatment.

• Posted

At least Google doesn't insinuate one a dilussional drug using mutilator. The real problem is within the health/medical system.

Just last week, my Dr (a good Dr, from the Phillipines) gave me a referral to Infectious Disease, to which (by phone call to verify referral) was told straight out that the treatment I would get through them would be antibiotic, only. It is surreal the (lack of) response given.

• Posted

Parasite testing?

Parasites that breach the walls of the small intestine can bring with them bacteria from the GI tract into the blood stream.

• Posted

So if I suggest hyperinfection syndrome to my mothers doctor, who is apparently from the CDC, he should know what the heck I'm talking about?

• Posted

CDC isn't exactly forthcoming with 100% accurate information about Strongyloides. But that's a different conversation altogether.

If they don't respond to a dress hyper-infection, at least push the parasite issue insistently.

• Posted

Unfortunately, their only interest seems to be treating the immediate infection and sending her home. They even brough up sending her home with an IV and anti-biotic drip today. No GI tests have been done, even though they were requested, and they barely acknoweled our requests for a parasite test. I have no idea what to do at this point.
    • Posted

And that is the exact same reason the majority of us have ended up here. It's beyond bazaar how the medical community responds to this.

• Posted

imo, I would ease her into a gentle anti-parasitic diet. The problem seems to come from the GI, start your battle there. Fresh Garlic is powerful if she can handle eating it. Pineapple, fresh or juice, has 2 natural anti-parasitic enzymes, papaya, pumpkin seeds, apple cider vinegar mixed in water, yogurt helps restore balance in GI. It goes on and on. There is dietary information everywhere to be found.

• Posted

Dear brit I'm sorry for your mom and saying gayers u are so many of us being diagnosed wrongand teeaeso any thinstatcountry e te urlining erect one suggestion many people are coming to that are more realityas opposed to us all feeling like we're crazy have the doc do full blood work and stool samples for possible parasites don't take no for an answer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.