4 Weeks 2nd Hip Update

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all just an update for interested people I am now at four weeks.

This is my second Hip Replacement and at the moment all is going very well.

I can walk about indoors with no stick, and make the stairs normally now, not one step at a time, and using painkillers sparingly. It has been a quicker healing than the first one.

It would be nice to know anyone's thoughts about that. I am using a stick on the street still.

I can lie on the right side for sleeping, my first one, but not on the left, second one.

I do practice just for a change of sides but 30 mins is enough at the moment.

At last my legs measure up the same, calves and thighs, my left had lost quite a bit but has grown back quicker than the right one did, I am beginning to feel my old self at last.

Two weeks on sick left, then a 3 day working week, 2 days off, then back to normal 5,to 7 in a row, getting my life back ....It has been quite a year.

Thanks for looking in again.

Cheers for now will update again soon.

Few shots from Blackpool, hope you like them.....

Ian.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ian what great news I bet your pleased that it has gone well,I am 11 weeks in and now going to the  Gym hard going but getting there,nice to see Blackpool in the snow ,very rare,I use to have an Auntie who had a Boarding House in Albert Road,back of the Tower,happy days. You look after yourself and take care Best Wishes Michael.
  • Posted

Hi Isn,

I read your posts with interest as I'm a few weeks behind you on hip number 2. I often think that I'm not doing as well this time around but tbh, I'm struggling to remember what stage I did what last time around. I'm a week post op yesterday and still getting quite a lot of pain and stiffness and I'm afraid to say, sort of clicking and cramp type pains. Am I worrying over nothing? I really can't remember where I was at at just over a week. I hit on the idea of looking over my posts on here from last time but I didn't register until I was 10 days post op so that didn't help much lol.

I'm inspired by your recovery this time around and as these ops are generally successful, I see no reason why I shouldn't follow in your footsteps, so to speak.

Keep posting as of course we are interested and all of posts help someone, somewhere.

Ali xx

• Posted

You are doing great! I am 2 months post op and not as far along as you are. I still use cane when walking - I feel unsteady when walking or something. When going up steps I can't raise op leg up step height yet. I use cane on the steps and go one at a time-slow.

When did you have first hip done? I am afraid that I will have to have other hip done eventually as it is starting to act up now but I can still reach my foot to put on it's shoe and sock so all is not bad,haha.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

HI Catania It was done on 16 may, so three + Half months ago, just a little pain on the bottom of my right heel when I start walking but it goes away. think it might be different bones inside feeling weight for the first time. othersise I am fine.  Ian.
  • Posted

Well done you are doing very well great to hear you are so active so soon. I'm 14 weeks sick leave just finished as recommended 12 weeks by consultant for my job and now have three weeks a/leave will do phased return for 2-3 weeks then my back is the problem though still very stiff and sore in mornings discharged by physio today although could have been earlier but was away for five weeks waiting to see musculoskeletal team about my back think it's a manage it type of pain I think I've done some permanent damage with limping and also job related and being four stone over weight isn't helping but back walking and joined gym will swim and aqua aerobics and Pilates started diet also well healthy eating can't afford to to have it replaced too early as only 43 also will need the other one doing in a few years he said so would be good if I could be fitter for it. Was walking with no crutches by about 7-8 weeks fully just crush if long walk. I am very motivated today kids back at school so good to have to do school run and going for extended walk at that time! Anyone also have hip done young and needed it replacing if so how long I know it's difficult to judge BUT NOT thinking about that for a long time the fitter I am the longer life it will have I hope!
  • Posted

Hi Ian.

I'm just behind you with 2nd hip replacement (3 weeks tomorrow). No daytime painkillers now, just paracetamol at night time . using one stick indoors and walking a mile with two sticks daily round the park. After a horrible year the future is seeming brighter - just feeling a bit down for no real reason - but hoping that will pass . hope your recovery continues well.

• Posted

Thanks for the update.  It's always interesting to hear how people are getting on, both for post hippies and those like my myself for whom a THR is approaching.  Glad to hear you're doing so well and I hope your recovery continues to go well.  Good luck at work x
  • Posted

Great to hear how well you are doing. I'm 9 weeks post op with number one and still find stairs hard. I also can only do a see secs on operated side. Was your Charnley hip replacement or uncemented being a younger hippie.
  • Posted

Good news on your recovery I've finally managed to make the decision to have a THR today after deciding I'm between a rock and a hard place and the situation can't improve on its own. I think the frank way consultants tell you the risks of surgery makes the decision much harder and somehow although a possibility, we probably face risks you are unaware of every day. So I'm now waiting for the date for my op and going to hopefully get on with life. Hope your recovery keeps going well & thanks for sharing it with us.
    • Posted

Dont worry Alan, it is easier than going to the Dentist, just takes a little longer to come right but after its been done, and the pain is gone, life is so so much better, not getting it done is not really an option...Keep posting and best of luck... Ian.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.