4 weeks post hernia mesh repair might have damaged it from running

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am now 4 weeks into my inguinal hernia repair recovery has been fine started walking after 1 week couple of miles a day on week 2 i was up to 6-7 miles a day week 3 i was jogging/running, week 4 i started to get more intense running and turning when i got a really big dull pain from my testicals stopped straight away and iced it 2 days later i am very sore and tight feels like am back at week 2, could i have ruptured the mess repair

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have a similar issue, with a bit of pain and discomfort in a left ingunal hernia repair, which was  done on Feb 22nd using mesh. I got pain while walking on week 6. Did your problem resolve itself?

• Posted

Webt and got another ultrasound done which came back fine the doc reckons it was scare tissue ripped which took 4 weeks to heal! I am now back fully training (sprints contact turning) you will feel pains while doing it but recovers after a day, it will be sore once u start walking but be positive everyday will make a difference keep walking everyday hopefully u will get better, my problem was I went to hard to soon 👍
  • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I'm taking it really easy just now, and hopefully the problem will subside. I'll start walking again once i think everything is ok.
    • Posted

Yeah best, but you will always feel some bit of pain and discomfort am 3 months in and still do, but you know your own body hope all goes well for u
  • Posted

Cheers, yes, there will be a bit of pain and discomfort for a while.
  • Posted

Hey paul/callum - I had a mesh hernia repair on Feb 23rd.  LHS of my groin. First week was sore and swollen in the area but a few weeks later this had decreased considerably.

I'm 49, massive gym fan and do lots of running and cycling - or at least - I did.  I went back into the gym 2 weeks ago and started running on the treadmill just for short distances - 3 km.  Then I tried light weights to do some maintenance.  All seemed fine, until this last Wednesday, when 7 weeks after the op, I simply sat down in a chair at work and all of a sudden got pain in the wound area, felt all knotted, heavy sensation in my left testicle and just generally an uncomfortable feeling.

Do you reckon I've done the same and torn scar tissue?  I'm really down about it as I lead a really active life and am thinking I wish I'd never had this op done now!

Don't think I've popped the hernia again as no definitive bulge other than the scar tissue behind the incision line, which I guess will disappear in time.

Any thoughts?

• Posted

Same happened got the feeling in the testicals too I took it easy for 3 weeks then started back again played my first match last week still be sore but bareable it will take about 6 months to properly heal! You will be fine if it hurts just stop

Good luck

• Posted

TBH i think you're taking a risk doing all that gym work after a very recent op. I doubt if any of us will have anything like full strength back in the wound area after just two months. I think you will have to see your GP, get his opinion, and maybe an ultrasound scan if neccessary. I had a previous inguinal mesh repair on my right side in 2009, and it does take a while to really heal. I had twinges for a long while afterwards, and two years ago, i strained or pulled something when lifting stuff at work, and have had a bit of pain and discomfort in the repaired area ever since, though an ultrasound scan showed the repaire to be fine...or "competent" as they say. Personally, i think we will always have a weak area in these repairs, and i am going to be a lot more careful what i do from now on. But, as i had pain from both my hernias, causing me to lose days at work, doing nothing was not an option.
  • Posted

Thanks guys - got an appointment with the consultant tomorrow. Hopefully just strained!
    • Posted

It's sounds the same as mine you will be fine I was panicking like mad as well but everything turned out well keep positive

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.