4 weeks post op- knee is going well but my anxiety is crazy.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone else experienced the anxiety I am feeling?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Barb

Why do you feel anxious? Is it from the pain?

• Posted

Debbie thanks - initially I was shocked by the pain and second guessed everything. Then I had a melt down crying at 3 weeks after getting off the pain pills- I think the whole process just overwhelmed me since I've never had any surgeries before. And of course just not being able to do anything for all these weeks - I hate being so confined. I'm going to start driving tomorrow - and my knee is not painful and I'm doing well in that regard. I think the whole thing scared the you know what out of me!

• Posted

Personally, I think you are pushing it way to hard and expecting too much too soon. I have been through this rehab game 5 times and had 11 surgeries plus radiation. I think you are trying to be a super woman and your body is saying, " I'm going to get even with you". Don't even think about driving till you talk to your Dr You can not only hurt yourself but others. Crawl before you walk. This is a process that we all go through and although its different for each of us it's the same for everybody. The bad part of getting out there in the car especially if you are by yourself, you could get strandedvor really foul things up if you are in an accident. I don't know where in the world you are but in some locals the insurance is void withoutout Dr's written opinion. My Dr required 6 weeks but made a little exception in my case because my wife is in advanced Parkinson's disease and I am her caretaker so I had. To make pharmacy runs for her meds. Just be awfully careful. A small setback can really make a mess of your rehab and delay things for months. You will hear this often......it's a marathon NOT a sprint..you won't really own the knee for a year.....up to then it owns you.

• Posted

Thanks - you are exactly right it isn't even 4 weeks yet and I am frustrated I can't do more. I realize my job now is to heal. I am calming myself - thx for your kind words!

• Posted

Do you feel like you aren't progressing according to someone else's timetable or is the feeling of being overwhelmed by pain?

Don't let someone elwe set goals for you.

Do the basics....

Pain meds on schedule, hydration...lots of water do your excercises but don't put yourself into pain...rest, rest, rest....The body just needs to heal and it takes time. Don't even look at numbers till until 6 weeks.....then 13 weeks. You will heal as you body allows. You Obviousily have to work at it but you can't avoid the process by cutting corners and hurrying. Take every step slowly. If you feel you just can't handle it on your own that's why you have Dr's. Talk to your primary care doc. They can help you get through it.

• Posted

I had HUGE anxiety!! Not sure if it was the meds or the pain . . . Or maybe the "what ifs" ! I ended up on anti-anxiety meds and anti-depressants!! It really has helped!!

• Posted

Thx joy - I have appt with my primary on Monday - like you I am not even sure why I am so anxious ! Sucks!
  • Posted

My anxiety was due to sleeplessness. Also, it seemed that the more tired I was, the less I could calm down enough to sleep--vicious cycle. If this is the case for you, ask your doctor about a sleep aide. Amitriptyline is working well for me.
  • Posted

Hello,I'm just 4 weeks I find my self in my room having melt downs. And not really knowing why..My anxiety at work 4 weeks has peeked.I'm told it's normal your cutting back on pain medication and I belive we start to expect more of ourselves.I'm a go getter always on the go I'm 58 years old still work full time always cleaning in side and out side of my house .Run Run Run so to be laid up its brought on anxiety for me..So your not alone.I did have my doctor give something to help me..Good luck

• Posted

Hi - I'm not quite 4 weeks and you sound just like me . I'm older but own my own company and am never not busy - so this has been a real blow to me ! I feel like everyday is "Groundhog Day" if u saw the movie. I have appt with my primary tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some relief. Hope you are doing well!

• Posted

Hiya. Check with your insurance company before you drive. I've been told I have to wait 6 weeks.

• Posted

Yes. It is 6 weeks for definite.

Thanks

• Posted

Thank you I will check. My doc said I could drive - it was my left knee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.