4 weeks post tkr

Posted , 10 users are following.

4 weeks ago today I had tkr. Have been in constant pain ever since.  I was told to expect pain but it would be of a different sort and not the same as before. Well it is in exactly the same place as before but worse. Feels like something is twisted. Am really worried something s not right.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you tAking pain meds on a regular schedule? A reg schedule of pain meds, excercise , ice and elevation should start showing improvement. If you are doing this and the pain hasn't eased you should contact the surgeon. It could be in and aligned perfectly but a pinched nerve could have you in pain. Insist on the proper meds. There o s something available g hat can get you out of pain.
    • Posted

Thank you I am taking meds properly but nothing stronger than dihydrocodeine. I can't take tramadol. Not icing enough though so going to do more of that today
  • Posted

I would say TRUST YOUR GUT and go see your doctor RIGHT AWAY. There COULD be some major issue that needs attended to NOW!

• Posted

I had severe pain until 12 weeks and was on strong medication until then. The pain I experienced was unlike anything I ever imagined. My leg is far from perfect though and I have various on-going issues. I would agree with everyone else though, if you are following a regular routine with medication, exercise and rest then you should expect the pain to gradually improve. Better to get it checked to make sure all is ok.
  • Posted

It's always best to get it checked out.

I am still in worse pain than before my knee was replaced, & waiting for a revision.

You have no idea how many of us on here wish they could turn the clock back - & then the majority of them turn the corner & it starts to feel worth it! You may well be one of those....it is such a brutal op., that I believe nothing can mentally prepare you for it.

Make a fuss & get looked at asap.

• Posted

I would get this checked out if the pain feels the same as before. It may be in the same place but still feel different.

I had TKR 3 years ago. Ofcourse it was painful but the actual arthritic pain had gone, so it was a different pain that I could cope with.

If it feels something is twisted, go back to the consultant who did the TKR.

Have you been given a follow up appointment with them? Moine was 6 weeks post op. Hope this settles down.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Go back to the consultant who did the op, ring his sec...the hospital should have this if you can't find the letters.   The op is supposed to give you a better life but pain is not something that can give this.  I can't imagine how I would have coped as I had only pain from the op for maybe two days then no more.  Maybe I am one of those lucky ones I know I feel it when I read the posts.

Are you having physio?  If so, maybe they would have an idea and help you.

• Posted

Thanks Hazel. My next physio is in 2 weeks as he is on holiday. But I shall ring up hospital today 
  • Posted

It has been 4mths for me...I had issues with the pain meds but finally found one I could take.  Go back and let the MD know you are having issues. My knee still hurts but it is different then the pain I had before.  My pain is coming from swelling which they can not get under control. I think once that is under control then my exercises would work for my ROM. Not sure I would do this again, if I had known how long this would last getting better. I wish you well on your recovery and pray it doesn't keep going on like mine.
    • Posted

Thanks Emma. Hope you feel better soon
  • Posted

ya i was told the same but not so for me either i was thinking maybe they felt like it was like having a child you forget the pain well i havent thats for sure  id say your fine  everybody is different and to be out of pain at 4 weeks is rare and i still think most people are but tell you they were not  try not to worry and keep up the excersises and more important take meds maybe you are not taking enough no need to be brave take them till you dont need them good luck
    • Posted

Thanks Linda. I guess I try to go as long as possible without the meds. Had a count up the other day. I have taken over 250 pills in 4 weeks. That's a lot of meds. If they had told me the truth I would never have had it done. X
    • Posted

well id be afraid to count up how many pills ive taken over my time since the begining and i really dont want to know ,dont put pressure on yourself to take less take all the meds you need and maybe if your not taking anti inflamatorys you should as they help with the swelling  no point saying you wouldnt have had it done there is no going back and if your honest with yourself you know you had no choice ,ive been where you are and its so hard but slowly it will improve sounds like your abit depressed which is part of it try to get out if you can i didnt go down the road of anti depressents maybe i should have but im not a fan of taking anymore meds but its helped loads on here so keep chin up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.