4 yrs after a THR I have pain getting into car and climbing stairs

Posted , 8 users are following.

4 years after having had a THR, I feel my muscles have deteriorated around my hip and have pain getting into the car, climbing stairs and if I suddenly jar my hip.    My hip has also started to squeak but doesn't cause me pain when this happens.   Has anyone ever had these symptoms?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

May I ask if you are sedentary all 4 years?
    • Posted

Hi Debbie,  I went back to work, playing golf and would walk regularly about 4-5 miles at a stretch.   It is only when I do these particular activities that I have this pain.   I have had an xray and there is no problem with the hip replacement.  I am scheduled for an MRI in the next few weeks.   I was very good six months after my THR and did my exercises religiously during that period but then stopped.   The consultant said he didn't think that any physical therapy would help it which I find hard to believe.  Was thinking about doing Pilates to help strengthen these muscles.   Has anyone taken up Pilates since their Hip op?
  • Posted

Maura61696,

I had hip revision 3yrs ago I still have trouble going up stairs. Unfortunately i got sciatic nerve damage from that surgery revisions are alot harder to recover. I also have pain at the ball socket area

Wasn't s able to go back to work still on disability

Trying to stay positive

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Jackie,

Sorry to hear that.   I shouldn't be complaining!    Keep positive!

• Posted

Hi Maura,

Just don't ignore your pain go see different doctor if you need to. I had to find doctor who specializes in hip revision he's wonderful. Staying positive is very hard I wish you the best this forum saved me

Take care

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Maura, 

Warm welcome to our friendly forum of hippies -

I am afraid that i cannot answer your question as I am not that far along yet -

When was the last time you saw your surgeon? 

I would make an appointment to see surgeon or at least GP - maybe get a referral to have x-ray taken - did this pain come recently or has it been there for a while  ... 

good luck and please let us know how you are getting on, okay ?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Maybe when they told you this new hip would be good for 10, 20 or 30 years...really lied and it's 4. To be serious, I hope someone on the board can help w an answer, I'm only 5 months post op. I've still got my aches and pains when I do certain things...

I hope they find a quick fix and you don't have to go through anymore surgery.

• Posted

HI maura,

Could you maybe start doing the physio exercises again, to see if they help. But I think maybe you need to get back to your doc, to have it checked.

• Posted

Thanks Lynn,  We'll see if the MRI shows up any soft tissue information.
  • Posted

Hi Maura,  yes I am doing Pilates have been for a while. I find it helpful. I'm only 14 months post op. I do get strange aches and pains every now and again I've not had any of our specific symptoms but I do sometimes feel that my leg is weak - if that makes sense. Hard to describe. Maybe you should resume your post op physio exercises to see if this helps?

catrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.