40 Y/o Male - 10 Weeks constant pain - no diagnosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I've had 10 weeks of constant abdominal pain. It started with nausea and abdominal pain, and has gotten progressively worse. The first few weeks I was told it's a stomach bug. Then I was began to get constipated about week 4. Then week 6-7 started to lose weight -  lost 12 kg in 3 weeks. GP referred me for a colonoscopy at week 7. However they only did a flexi stigmoidoscopy for some reason and found nothing in that. He referred me back for a full colonoscopy and they have scheduled an outpatient appt instead. Pain just getting worse and no pain killers work. GP mentioned possible obstruction, which can only be one of a few things. Before this I was healthy, maybe 4 or 5 kg over ideal weight and balanced diet.

Any thoughts appreciated as this process has been slow and painful.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You really need to press your GP to put some urgency on the endoscopy examination and make sure that it is carried out from both ends - gastroscopy as well as colonoscopy.  You might not have bowel cancer but there is obviously something wrong and it needs to be sorted as soon as possible. 

Did your GP carry out a blood test as part of his diagnosis procedure?  One of the markers for bowel cancer is the CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) level in the blood.  If a blood test has not been carried out then ask that one is done with specific reference to the CEA level.  If such a test has been carried out then make sure that it did include an appropriate test. It has to be said that while this level does not provide an absolute indication of the existence or otherwise of bowel cancer, it does give a good initial indication.

Good luck and I hope your problem is one that is easily cured.

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply. I've had 2 blood test but I'm not sure what they were for. I'll folow that up.
    • Posted

Spoke to GP this morning who said neither blood test tested for CEA levels. But said if they did, they would refer me on same path they've referred me on anyway. Thanks for the tip. I'll find out more wednesday.
    • Posted

I'm a little surprised by your GP's response.  If the CEA level is low (2.5 micrograms per litre or less) then I would expect the tests to be looking for something other than bowel cancer but if it is high (greater than 5 microgram per litre) then you should be being tested for bowel cancer with a higher degree of urgency than seems to be happening.
    • Posted

Getting tested for CEA levels this morning and will take those results to consultant on Wednesday. Many thanks for your help.
  • Posted

The results of my CEA levels test were normal at 2, so hopefully that's good news. Seeing the consultant tomorrow.
    • Posted

That is good news!  I hope that the next series of tests will sort out the source of your problems and that the treatment is not too onerous.
    • Posted

Just thought to update you. Consultant has scheduled endoscopy and CT scan. Pancreas a possible concern at this stage. Bowels less so, so no colonoscopy scheduled. Was helpful to go there with CEA results so thank you for the tip.
    • Posted

I'm glad to hear that things are moving at last.  Best of luck wth the tests I hope all goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.