40 years old and 7.5 cholesterol

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 40 years old, fairly active (I practice jiu jitsu twice a week and swim on weekends) I'm quite fit and eat healthy most of the time. I just had a blood test and my cholesterol came up very high at 7.5. Both my parents have high cholesterol and they are both fit so I think it is mostly due to genetics. My doctor asked me to follow a strict diet and test again in 3 months to see if I can lower my level. If not he told me that I have high risk of having clogged arteries and will probably need to be on medication. I've read lots of horror stories on statins and their side effects. What should I do if I can't lower my cholesterol levels? I eat fairly healthy (lots of vegetables, chicken, fruits, oats, sometimes red meat and low carbs) so I have a feeling I won't be able to change anything just with a better diet. What do you guys think? Thank you

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I recently had a cholesterol test and my result was borderline but when the GP put my exercise, diet and other factors into his computer it came up with a 12% chance of having a heart attack, etc, that's also 88% likely not to happen.  He said he'd only prescribe statins when the score got to over 20%.  You might want to ask your GP about your risk factor and then make a decision if your cholesterol remains increased.  It is your choice, your GP can only recommend to you.

• Posted

Thanks Twiglet, I will ask my doctor next time if he can calculate my risk factor. Cheers
  • Posted

Hi Nico, 

?Not sure what you would do if you can't get it down. I think you have only two choices. Take the meds or take a chance.  I had a high cholesterol level of 295 and I'm sure it was genetics. I'm not sure of your numbers of 7.5 as compared to mine.  I tried to do the diet that the doctor suggested and did cardio but still nothing brought it down.  I went on medication Liptor 20mg. for several years.  Within the first year I noticed lower calf pain a couple times a month on only one leg. Then as time went on it was both legs and more often.  Last year it was driving me nuts as the pain was nightly and my lower calfs and knees when resting or trying to sleep. I decided to stop the medication just to see if there would be a difference and if not than I would go back on the medication. I noticed a difference in the pain being reduced within the first week and every week after just got better and better and less pain. Within a month all seemed normal and I have not been back on the meds.  It has been a couple of months and my doctor does not know I went off the meds but I plan to tell him next week. I will be asking him the same question you asked. What do I do if I can't bring it down because I cannot live with the pain in the legs. It was really driving me nuts.  Try the diet and hope for the best.  Let us know what happened. Hopefully you will be a sucess story. smile

• Posted

Thanks Karla, let us know what your doctor says as well. Cheers
  • Posted

Around 25 years ago my cholesterol was 8.5, it is now 6.4, what brought it down I have no idea.In November I had a mini stroke and was put on statins, I was only on them for two weeks but in that time they caused so much damage that I thought I was on the way out, no idea at all that it was the statins until my sister started investigating  and I stopped takling them. I am still suffering from the effects two months later. Prior to the stroke I was fit and healthy, didn't drink or smoke and had lots of exercise. My GP in the past had said that a cholesterol level of 6.4 was nothing to worry about taking everything else into account.

We were brought up on a very fatty diet but it did my parents no harm, they lived until 86 and stayed in reasonable health until then. My sister and myself have also had no problems.

A GP I saw recently said it was impossible to lower cholesterol by diet alone and tried to persuade me to try a different statin but I refused and will go on refusing as I do not want to go through that nightmare again. I have changed my diet drastically, cut out all chocolate, cream cakes, biscuits, sugar (all of which I loved), processed food and I am trying to eat more fruit and vegetables, oats, oily fish and go for a walk each day. That is all I can do really and so it is in the lap of the gods but no more statins for me.

• Posted

I think stress is a major causes.  Exercise also is known to need muscles repairing by cholesterol, if there isn't enough you make more.  Not at the moment due to minor surgery but I cycle average 80 miles per week and am only eight stone 11 but Dad died of heart attack.  I tried statins and in another thread I explained I had muscles wastage throughout my whole body and lost pounds in days.  I can't go on these.  Fruit also can make cholesterol rise because of sugar.  I just try my best like others can my mother in law used to say little bit of everything.

• Posted

Hi Nico, i'm the same as you 7.5. I was told by my doc that i am a heart attack waiting to happen. He put me on statins and i went from an active heathy happy person to a grumpy old man all in six months. I felt like i had aged 20 yrs.

The doc wouldnt listen to me. I took matters into my own hands and threw the statins in the bin. It took me a year to recover and become myself again.

That was three yrs ago, i am happy and healthy and still running in the red at 7.5 exercising daily and i fired my doctor for not listening to me!

I have also as a precautionary measure been to a cardiologist and my heart is in perfect health with no narrowing of the arteries.

i was first diagnosed with high cholesterol at 40yrs old. I am now 50 and in perfect health.

Hope this helps with your decision making.

• Posted

Thanks William this is very helpful. Do you mind giving more details on what you mean by feeling grumpy and old? were you depressed? did you have any physical discomforts? I'm also planning to see a cardiologist as I think they would have more knowledge than a GP. Thanks

• Posted

I was also told a few years ago that it is the ratio as well.  Someone with for example 4.5 reading could have worse ratio than a higher reading.  A few years ago mine was 6.5 and good cholesterol was 2.8 my husband that 4.5 reading and only 1.2 good cholesterol so in fact I had a better ratio.  Interestingly since exercising so much mine has gone up overall.  I don't understand how some people weigh more, do no exercise, eat like...... And have low cholesterol

• Posted

My recommendation would be to do everything you can to avoid taking them. Diet, exercise, meditation, eliminating stress in your life are all helpful ways you can reduce cholesterol levels. I was on 20mg of atorvastatin for 5 to 6 months and i had all kinds of serious side effects. They ranged from severe muscle cramps in neck/shoulder area, dizziness, confusion, memory loss, short temper and anxiety just to name a few. I quit on my own as Drs kept saying it's not the statin. After 6 months almost all of those symptoms are gone but it did take that long once I quit them for my body to heal. They recommended trying a different one but I'm not ready to take that chance yet. If you do decide to take them start off w smallest dose possible and if you notice any of those symptoms tell your dr right away and don't wait 5 or 6 months like me as it almost ruined my life. Don't let them tell you it's not the meds because it very well could be. Good luck..

• Posted

Totally agree with scott. I was on almost every possible statin for 10 years and went through the muscle and joint pain and finished up with Peripheral Neuropathy. Haven't taken taken statin for 2 years and won't ever take another but too late to make a difference to me.

• Posted

Thanks Scott that's very helpful. Looking at this forum it seems that you're not the only one who experienced bad side effects from statins.

• Posted

We all should fill the yellow card system in uk for letting pharmaceutical companies know of the side  effects.  I did.  I think if I had stayed on them I would be dead now.  The calcium in joints my body has made since them due to the muscle wastage at the joints is irriversible.  I now have very large calcium deposits on the rotator cuff.
    • Posted

Sue, the yellow card is excellent advice. Hope evryone reading this will do it.
    • Posted

Great more that do it the better.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.