43 years and TIA please help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm totally scared. Last Sunday I woke up and noticed that my right eye didn't function properly.

It was like I lost 50% of my vision on that eye. I went to the ER. By the time I saw a doctor my eye was fine again. The symptoms lasted a bit more than an hour. The vision came back gradually. Because of my age the doctor said everything was fine. When phoned the day after with a friend who is a neurologist, he told me to come in because it sounds like a TIA. Nothing major was found, except that I have a valve prolapse and an Lp a of 140. Because of the symptoms, the report says TIA or migraine. No test can tell. I'm totally down. What will be my future, I have two little children? What is the risk to get a risk for a real stroke? I have to take daily Asperin now.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Stress is silent killer,are you stressed out about anything.stroke is real thing,i was at work just felt good and bam hemmorgic stroke lost right side for 4 months but got back with work out and pure will power, sound like warning for you remove stress if you can stop smoking if you smoke cut down on drinking

Work out,go swimming,pray to god ..😉youll be alright

• Posted

Why not contact the Stroke Association's helpline and ask them to send you some information on stroke prevention or just have a look at the resources on their website? There is so much that can be done to reduce stroke risk, so in some ways it can be considered lucky to have had a TIA warning (if indeed it was a TIA) as you can now address those factors. Were you also given advice on reducing your cholesterol as your LPa was high? This can be done by dietary changes and through taking statins. You also need to monitor your BP. By the way are you a migraine sufferer anyway? The daily aspirin will also help to reduce your risk of stroke - so hopefully you won't have any further episodes. Are they following you up any further? All the best and try not to worry too much -- having a TIA does not mean you will go on to have a stroke especially as you are now doing something about it. Take care.

• Posted

Thanks for your support. As I understand, TAI doesn't show up on MRI. Echo, doppler.., everything was ok. Are there specific blood test for TAI testing? I did have headaches before but not migraine.

• Posted

Tanja, a shot in the dark here but has anyone suggested or checked you for Temporal Arteritis - for instance did they carry out blood tests for inflammation, particularly the CRP blood test.  There are often other symptoms such as headache, jaw pain on chewing involved but not always - occasionally just vision is affected.  If Temporal Arteritis hasn't been rule out, I suggest that you seek immediate investigation to rule it out.  It needs emergency treatment with steroids to prevent the possibility of permanent loss of vision..  And in case anyone says you are too young for temporal arteritis,  you are not!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.