45 and Afib

Posted , 5 users are following.

Recently I went to my annual treadmill test to put some stress on my heart. When in rest they said I had an Afib rythym. So I went again a week later and same thing. I've seen my own doctor and now a Cardiologist. I've been in and out of the rythym but showed a 7 hour episode when I was on a monitor.

Now a little history. I'm a wildland firefighter/endurance athlete that has been on the job for 25 years. In that time I've ran 4-5 days a week with a day of labor intensive hiking with gear. I played sports all through high school Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Running.

Last but not least I've consumed alot of alcohol in my lifetime and the day before my treadmill test I consumed a lot. Rum and Coke. Caffiene and Alcohol. I believe that I have pushed my heart into Afib based on lifestyle and history. Also I have a 4 month old son that doesn't allow me to sleep. Anybody think I'm crazy to think that my Afib is temporary. I stopped drinking alcohol and caffiene the day of my treadmill test but I still haven't had any sleep. Any suggestions. Any help?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Are you taking a blood thinner ? Has your doctor prescribed any other medications?

Sleep is very important because lack of it causes stress which can trigger AFIB .

I understand the need to function on lack of sleep with a baby but you have to be careful and at very least take a blood thinner.

Hope this helps ?Best , Didi

• Posted

Not on blood thinners yet. I'm taking aspirin. I'm stressed out because I'm studying for a Chief's test. That hasn't helped and either does my son's feeding and crying at night. I watched some youtube videos. Great information about magnesium, potassium, hydration, vegetables, and many other things. Thanks again.

• Posted

I'm a little sceptical, but think that it's not I'm possible for you to be lucky if you address all h AF risk factors.

I think you'd  benifit from watching the interview that will comes up if you google search 'legacy Pi throws down the gauntlet to US physicians.

Hope this helps with some of your thinking?

Good luck!

• Posted

Sounds like my biography. I started getting a goofy heartbeat after heavy drinking and the doctor told me it was "holiday heart", which is atrial fibrillation brought on by alcohol. I also was a marathon runner and triathlete, pounding my heart quite vigorously. In the beginning the episodes were brief and far apart, like a year. They began to be longer and closer together and finally I graduated to chronic (all the time) afib. It took maybe ten years and now I have been chronic for about twenty years. I am guessing here. I fear there is a natural progression from paroxysmal to chronic, but it can take a long time. I went into full panic mode and doctors gave me many varieties of medicines, some of which worked for a while and none of which worked long term. I now take Warfarin, a blood thinner to lessen the risk of stroke, and nothing else. Your afib is very unlikely to kill you, but there are times when you can feel like that extra flight of stairs might as well be Everest. I am now 78 years old, take a bicycling vacation each year (cargo shorts, not spandex), exercise regularly and mostly put the disease out of my mind as much as I can. Anxiety is your real enemy insofar as enjoyment of life is concerned, so get some yucks as often as you can. Your child will start sleeping. I recall when our kids were born, I became convinced I would never, ever, sleep a whole night again.  I was wrong. Well, I still get up at night, but it is not for kid duty. You are going to be fine - best of luck to you.

• Posted

I loved your reply ! Made me smile !!

Am I correct that all you take is a blood thinner ? Wish I could do that . I take TIKOSYN & ELIQUIS .

Your attitude is inspiring - THANK YOU , Didi

• Posted

Didi, I assume the Eliquis is your blood thinner and the other one works on your rhythm. If it works for you it's all good. I still have afib - I just disliked the rhythm meds so much that I asked the doctor and he let me quit. But then at the last I was on amiodarone, which has scary side effects, so quitting was easy. My self assigned task, in my dotage, is to come on this site from time to time and encourage people to mock this rotten disease by living a life as joy filled as possible. Seems like a good idea.

• Posted

I loved that reply even better ! Keep it up - and again thanks for upbeat words - a comfort to anyone with this nasty disease.

Ps My worst problem is that I also have panic attacks and one feeds off the other !!

• Posted

Thank You everyone for the kind words. I love the attitudes and advice. I feel the same way. I'm going to live my life. I've been lucky to marry well and have a handsome son to raise. I've had this issue now for one month as far as I know. I really never noticed any of the symptoms so I cant say that I didn't have it before. I'm super active still hiking and running with my young firemen at a high level and they are the folks that keep me alive. At 45 I feel great. I never thought my drinking and carrying on would catch up to me this way. I've also heard of Athlete Heart as well as the Holiday Heart. There finding that a lot of athletes are coming down with Afib as well...very interesting. I just hope I can get back to full duty. Currently on light duty.

• Posted

It's a wake up call Arnold - that's all ! Life will change a bit but you will adjust and be able to live a normal life - just takes some getting used to ! Attitude is everything as is keeping well informed and up to date on new medications and procedures .

You are active and young - you'll do fine ! Perhaps cut back on alcohol ?!?

Best, Didi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.