46 and down for THR - so confused!!

Posted , 20 users are following.

So I returned to the hospital yesterday as my arthritis pain has been continual most of this year. I had been told when initially diagnosed 3 years ago that I would need a THR at some point but they wanted to delay it until I was 50. This year I've felt it's detetiorated a lot and have had to give up the gym (pain still the same though). Saw consultant again yesterday who spent first 15 mins trying to put me off however my gp has put me on pain meds (2tramodol, 2 naproxen & 2 paracetamol at night which should knock out a horse but doesn't touch my pain for more than an hour at best). My concern was that if I'm on that much high dosage pain meds now what am I looking at taking over next 4 years. Anyway had the obligatory xray at which point he just said THR was only option as it had deteriorated so badly. Great I thought, let's do this, get my life and fitness back. Now a day later my head is buzzing with doubts and questions and I'm driving myself mental with research! Would rather hear from people who have had it done. I'm a single parent- 2 kids 18 and 13 at home, I do everything including working full time which is not salaried, I cannot afford to take 3 months off (also mentally this would do me in) so if I'm up and about would I be able to go back to work (I sit down all day not a manual job) after 2 weeks? How much "looking after" will I actually need on returning from hospital? (I'm an independent bugger and hate asking for help of any kind). My kids are at school and college and my 2 older ones work and dont live at home so I feel like I'm pretty stuffed. Am I ok to rest then just get up to make a brew or a butty? I've read stuff that says you can never cross your legs again? How is this possible if it's habit? I'm scared of what will happen if I can't bring in a wage plus I love my job!! Head is spinning sorry for all the questions- I know it needs doing but practicalities are scary!

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kirsty

Nice to hear from you.

It sounds to me as if your only option is a hip replacement wow so many painkillers!! I personally don't think they help but like you they have to be taken re the pain.

All those questions ....do what's right for you ...but you know you can't go on like this .... I felt my world getting so narrow ..no gym no shopping no social life and such pain!!

I had my op 5 months ago and oh boy am I back on form I have my life back. I live on my own and for the first couple of weeks needed help with domestic things but could Cook and shower etc.

Do what's right for you get your life back.

Let us know how you get on ...you aren't on your own all of us hippies understand.

Julie 🖒

• Posted

Aah thanks for your reply. So good that you've got your life back - I can't wait for mine!! I'm not even bothering with the painkillers anymore as they just don't work so just living with it. I think if it was a constant pain or ache it'd be easier but with it being sharp spasms it makes me squirm! Not a good look in work ha ha. I'm going to rally the kids but reading all the replies here I'm feeling a lot more confident that it's doable! X

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,  I had my right hip replaced almost two years ago. I was 54 at the time. I won't lie to you it's a big operation BUT I now have my life back. I can do everything that I could prior to the arthritis starting. I go to the gym, I'm active and I do occasionally cross my legs (but not often). 

To  be honest it took the best part of 18 months to feel totally normal but that's just me. Some on here recover much quicker. There are lots of restrictions at first - six weeks or so but t depends on the surgeon and the aproach you have for your surgery. The hospital gave me lots of tips and aids and I had lots of physio which helped a lot. My children were 23 at the time and one lived at home. I would have found it hard to cope without her and my husband in the first week or so but people on here do manage alone. 

As regards work work I work from home and didn't start till week six and very slowly. You have to keep getting up for a walk and I would get VERY tired very quickly. Everyone is different though and it's hard to say how you will be until it happens. You can deffo make a cuppa and a sandwich once you are home. Surely you would qualify for sick pay in your job? Are you in the U.K.? 

Its a a big step but ultimately one you won't regret. 

C

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I'm in UK but my work is sessionally paid - I'm a counsellor so unsure if I qualify for anything! Plus I don't want to be leaving my clients for a long time (I work with quite badly damaged young people so takes ages to build up any sort of trust). I'm thinking of ways I can make it work and I'll speak to my bosses when I've got some idea of when it'll be so I'm feeling confident I can sort it. So looking forward to not having this pain! Glad yours has worked out too. Fills me with confidence. I can do this I'm too bloody stubborn not to but love this forum and so glad I discovered it. I feel better already!! X

• Posted

Hi Kirsty

I am in exactly same position as you, 46yrs old and facing THR. I have bilateral hip dysplasia diagnosed too late, so now I have too much cartilage damage and a very painful labral tear. Was also told I would need to wait until I was at least 50 but it has deteriorated so much this year that I now take oral morphine every day and walk with a stick. I have no life outside of work, but its office based and about the only thing that keeps me going.

Not sure where you are, I'm in Lincolnshire but under The Royal National Orthopaedic hospital at Stanmore London. I've basically told them that I can't take anymore and have asked for a cancellation, even if it's xmas eve! Like you, I just want my life back.

After reading how most people have coped on here, I think we will be fine compared to how life is at the moment. I'm scared too, but more scared that life is slipping me by.

Sorry I cant answer any questions but maybe we can give each other a bit of moral support when it gets a bit tough 😷.

Best wishes

Kay

• Posted

Aah thanks, yes I've also agreed to cancellations including xmas eve (sorry kids!). I'm off for 2 weeks so would take the stress off a bit! I'm in Stockport. Had my pre op done day they decided to do it just got an occupational therapist meeting on Tuesday then I'm good to go. Definitely would be up for some moral support both ways, already feeling better after reading some replies and actually I will make this work! Don't have a choice ha ha. Shame we can't pm and exchange numbers really as looks like we're in this together! Xx

• Posted

Hey Kirsty sounds like you are good to go....hopefully you will get a call quickly and get it over and done with. I will keep everything crossed for you.

I am so frustrated as I have been mucked around quite a bit. My surgeon was originally hoping to save the hip for a bit by just repairing the labral tear. However, when I saw his registrar a few weeks ago, he did a further xray which now shows a considerable pelvic tilt. Added to the cartilage loss, they are now thinking a THR will be better option.

So now I am waiting for the final decision, which will hopefully be next week. Hence me telling them I would take a last minute cancellation.

I don't care what they do, I just want to be pain free and get back to walking my 3 labradors!

Keep me posted, and I will too 😁xx

• Posted

Thats good to know. Who was your surgeon?

I am under Mr Khan. I was originally referred to him for a PAO consideration. Unfortunately he ruled that out fairly quickly, but has decided to keep me under him rather than refer me back to a local surgeon.

So relieved as he's my third different surgeon to treat me and finally take my pain seriously.

• Posted

Ill keep it short X 1 the quickest THR to recover from is an anterior approach. Posterior is more common as its a cheeper operation for the NHS . 2 the fitter and healthier you are going into the operation the quicker you will recover. 3 you will deteriorate fast (sorry ) but from what you have said you need it done . I'm 35 they made me wait, far too long because of my age . I'm a mess now and will take an extremely long time to recover. If you have a anterior approach you will still need some help for the first 2-3 weeks but could be back to work 6 week easy. Hope that helps X keep in touch xx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I've given up the gym as hurt too much but to be honest it's not made any difference to it so do you reckon I would be ok to go back to restart my fitness for op? I'm feeling so sluggish not being able to go and know I've put a bit of weight on! Not been for about 3 months and miss it (well not exactly miss but know I need it!! Ha ha).

• Posted

Yes please keep as fit as you can , strong thighs and gluteus are extremely important for a fast recovery 👍🏽👍🏽. There are specific exercises to do beforehand you could look into . And push for an anterior approach if you possibly can . Xxx

• Posted

A bit of a dilemma for you, but remember that you won't start healing until you've been operated on and at the moment your life will just get more painful.

You must take time out to do this before it takes over completely. We've all done it and are coming through on different levels, but ultimately the result will be a pain free, normal life.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! I can't wait for that!! So excited/scares- not of op just of limitations after! X

• Posted

Hi Kristy,Poor you! Please remember that your op Isa major one.None of us are the same.I had my hip replacement last year,& although they say six weeks.I had no choice but to get off my butt! As I am a carer for my Hubby.But to be honest I suffer from tension & the op has failed with me.As I have had to guide my husband as he's severely sighted,as well as having awful mobility issues.He too has oa of hips,& knees.Like me.Hes on medication which over a long period of time has caused ulcers in his stomach.I had a care package for my Hubby,but no one took care of me.And yes I could scream at the social worker.I have reflexology once a fortnight.I hope this hasn't put you off.But you must have help for the first 2 weeks.regards Amanda H

• Posted

Aah thanks for your reply, sounds like you're having a tough time. Hope it gets better for you. From all I read I'm not put off. We are all different with different situations and bodies so nice to be on here to get all the perspectives and scenarios. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.