5 mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Since I started on 5 mg. 2 weeks ago I cannot function  Totally exhausted and  moving very slowly. No pain   Not sure it has anything to do this with this or being in the hospital  3 weeks ago with a virus. Any advice.   Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

At 5 mg your adrenal glands are being called on to do the heavy lifting re cortisol production.  They can sometimes be very slow to wake up and a lot of people find 5 mg one of the sticking points.  Try to get a bit more rest and give it a few more days, as long as there's no return of PMR pain as such.  Best wishes!

• Posted

redface

I'm sure the virus hasn't helped, but hopefully you'll feel better soon.  I remember feeling completely "flat" for want of a better word, at 7 mg almost exactly a year ago.  I've not felt completely exhausted for the whole year but it's only been the last few weeks that I've begun to have slight memories of my long ago energetic self!  Nothing about PMR is quick!

• Posted

They are working on it.  That's why you have to be extra kind to yourself while they remember what to do!

• Posted

7mg or so is about the point at which the adrenals are really being asked to contribute again by producing the body's own corticosteroid, cortisol, and the lower you reduce, the more it has to make. You need it in stressful situations - and being in hospital is a stressful situation on its own, you had an infection as well, another stress. You really shouldn't have reduced again at all until you were fully recovered - and unless you are in Australia, the cold weather won't help either! Some doctors even say not to try to reduce in the winter!

I don't know how long you were in hospital - but a week in bed results in a relatively big depletion of muscle mass. It takes longer to recover from that than just a week or so. Be kind to yourself - possibly even go back to the previous dose for a couple of weeks until you are sure you are really over it all.

And the other question: how are you reducing? At this level, the amount you reduce is a far higher percentage of your current dose and the body will notice it more. Top experts have said for years that no reduction should be more than 10% of current dose - and at this level this is 1/2mg. If you are trying more, your body will notice more.Another option is to use the Dead Slow approach we are always on about - then your body gets used to the new, lower, dose one day at a time. 

• Posted

Eileen,

A bit confused why i would go to a higher dosage if i have no pain. Please explain  Thanks

• Posted

You said you felt unwell and couldn't function at 7mg and now again at 5mg. That suggests that your adrenal glands haven't caught up yet - and the answer to that is also a bit more pred. Then when you feel better again you can try reducing more slowly to give your body a chance to keep up with the reduction in artificial steroid.

• Posted

Hi, I have had pmr since February 2016,started at 20 mg then went up to 30 mg of pred, but reduced slowly . Since my diagnosis I have had difficulty walking and suffering with severe pain in my hips down to my knees. Crutches

have been my best friends since then. I am now on 7.5mg, since 24 November,no pain in my top half but still unable to walk without pain in my legs or without crutches. My rheumy told me on my last appointment in October that I have problems in both hips which probably will lead to 2 hip replacements! I have found being on 7.5mg I have no energy,wanting to

sleep all the time. If I do go out,it takes 2 days to get over it. I am also confused with the lack of mobility

and pain in my legs,not sure if it's the effects of

withdrawal or my hip problem. Confused and frustrated!

• Posted

What sort of hip problems? Is it OA or other damage? 

lodger will tell you that when she had similar problems and could barely walk even with a zimmer frame she eventually went for Bowen therapy. She struggled in with a walking stick and a friend (no room for the zimmer in the car) - and an hour later walked out having forgotten her walking stick! It doesn't do anything for PMR iteself - but it can help with the "add-ons" that many of us suffer. It is definitely worth trying a few sessions, if it is going to help you will generally know within 3 sessions, it isn't an open-ended committment. If you feel it is a bit expensive - Christmas is coming.

• Posted

The rheumy said it was probably OA due to there being no space between the hip and leg joints. Yet saying that , I do not get

much pain in that area at all compared to my thighs and knees

so will definitely try the Bowen treatment!

Many thanks Eileen

• Posted

I think it is worth a try - and I do hope it does work. I like the relaxing effect - as good as a massage and far more gentle!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.