5 months down the line!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Good evening to all my hippy friends

Hope you are are all getting there on your journey and in a good place at the moment

Where have these last 5 months gone? It was May when I joined the forum, had my RTHR on 10th June and the rest is history!

Just thought you might like an update on how things are going -

been back at work now for 3 months and can do more or less anything I want to - my hip feels as if it is my own. Been signed off by my wonderful surgeon and don't need to see him now till my year post op is up.

The difference my THR has made to my life is miraculous. I am so happy with the outcome

I am now having more intensive physio which is hard work but apparently very important to avoid problems with the hip long term. I can feel my hip getting stronger all the time - people who were used to seeing me hobbling around with a stick are amazed at the difference in the way I now walk. Still get a few aches in the muscles from having to retrain them - apparently I have been using the wrong muscles to walk with for years,but no joint pain whatsoever.

To anyone worrying about having this op, all I can say is to go for it and get it done asap. I was in denial for some months but I can honestly say I wish I had had it done sooner.

I feel and look so much better now that I no longer have that awful pain that drags you down

This op is life changing and will give you a bright and happy future

Just be positive, be prepared for some post op pain which is manageable with pain meds, rest, eat well and take your time. This isn't a race and everyone is different. Every day is a new day and you will show some improvement all the time

Good luck to everyone

Kindest wishes Linda xx

5 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Such a positive post Linda. Glad you're doing so well. Like you I can't believe the difference from how I looked & felt from pre op (7weeks ago) to post op. People are complimenting me every day how well I look & how well I'm doing. I'm in for other hip January 29th next. 4 months after 1st op. Just hope I recover as quickly. Keep up the good work. You're a great ambassador for us hippies x
  • Posted

Hi Pansycat,always interested in how you come to your special names?I must say we are very similar as I had the op at the same time,everything you said is so true and will give others hope and strength to get through their hip problems,good luck to you too Best wishes Michael.
  • Posted

Dear Linda

What a wonderful inspirational post.

Thank you so much and best wishes for the future

Linnet x

• Posted

dear friend Linda. 

Wow, so good to hear from you and how well you are doing !!! Yeah, where did time go ... all those days in pain, post-op when time just did not seem to move ! 

I am 9 weeks post-op of 2nd THR !!!  one year ago I was still so in denial (all the way until February !!!!) - 

Still in the process of recovering and healing but now without OA pain - 

big warm hug and 

love

renee

• Posted

Hi Pansy,

Like your posting - just add to all awaiting op to be prepared for setback days, plus days of extrordinary achievements: An Extraordinary well worth while  journey - and different for all!

happy healing

Mic

x

• Posted

So supportive to those thinking about a THR, and to those of us recovering.

Thanks so much.

I can only echo your comment about not delaying - it is so much easier to recover if your hip has not completely worn out and damaged your muscles.

Graham

X

• Posted

Great to see your progress.

Ive not posted for some months now,probably because there's not much to report,apart from to say after having both hips replaced since February 2014, I can honestly say it's the best thing I've ever done,it's given me my life back.

Even to the extent of being back on my MTB and cycling 18mls twice a week,weather permitting..It was really hard at first as the muscles had badly wasted after years of under use..but 9months in they are at last showing signs of full recovery,the hard work is paying off and my general health has improved dramatically too.

As said anybody worrying about having a THR,don't delay,it's a life changer for most people.

• Posted

Hi Linda

I'm so glad you're going well - I can remember your posts from when I had my operation back in June.  

I was going to put a post up but thought I'd ask you first - do you get a sharp pain down the front of your quad or down the side of your leg or groin?  I'm still walking with a significant limp 5 months on and some days am in pain from what I am assuming is muscular pain.  I was seeing a physio for a few months and was doing all the exercises she gave been but wasn't improving so I stopped going.  She also said that I had to relearn how to walk but I think I was a mystery to her - she really couldn't figure out why I wasn't improving.

I'm so disappointed because I'm only 47 years old and thought I would recover quicker than this.  In saying that I do work full time and have two children to run around after.  The physio kept telling me I was pushing myself too hard and that was why I kept having pain but I haven't even been able to go for my morning walks.  

I started swimming last weekend and actually felt better for a couple of days but the pain returned pretty quickly and unfortunately the pool is busy with squad training and swimming lessons during the times I can get there during the week.

Do you know of anyone else experiencing similar pain to me or have any pearls of wisdom to share? 

Gaylene

xx

• Posted

Dear Gaylene, 

So good to hear from you again, eventhough it seems that you are not feeling that great ...

I understand your disappointment though - but please don;t be discouraged and absolutley do not compare your self to others .. working full time and taking care of two children is not for the weak !!!

I had my 1st R THR in March 2015 and the 2nd one September 10, 2015 - good Lord, what aroller coaster ride ..

i am learning how to walk properly - there is a video with instructions on You Tube given by a chinese doctor/PT (not sure) - 

the PT I have now has been showing me how to walk too - the first one just told me, but she, bless her young heart, seemed to have no clue as to how ...

it is very well possible that those aches and paind are from incorrect walking, unbalanced, limping etc - 

I can only imagine that you are rushing through life right now and it is so easy to walk sloppy !!!!  

The other thing you might consider is to see your GP or surgeon .. just to make sure that the hardware is in place - 

sooooo, sweet gaylene, slow down, you move too fast - take your time, be mindful and aware of how you are moving and walking -

take deep breaths .... it will help, i promise -TLC for gaylene !

you know that it might take 12-18 months to compoletely heal right (Depressing, isn't it )

big warm hug and please let us know how you are getting on 

renee

• Posted

Hi Gaylene

Good to hear from you!

​Recovery from this op is a rocky old ride.

​My walking pattern is pretty good and I have no limp whatsoever, but I know that my muscles are very weak and must have been for some years. Obviously, the 6 months prior to my op were dreadful and I was lurching all over the place.

​I am going for intensive physio now, which causes me quite a bit of muscular pain, lots and lots of butt squeezing exercises, clam shell exercises etc. I get burning sensations down both sides of my hips(even non operated one) and sometimes I feel as if i have been kicked by a carthorse. When I use the exercise bike my operated leg turns inwards, due to weak butt muscles.The muscles in both my thighs are tender to touch. I have been told that the body will try to walk using the easist way possible and sadly that is not always using the proper muscles for the job. Hence you have some muscles wanting to go one way and the weak muscles you are trying to develop going the wrong way.

Like you, I work full time, from home thankfully, but I do get tired and have to rest now and then.

​My physio says that 5 months down the line is very early days and it will take up to a year to get right and get full mobility in the joint. I feel that my joint is very mobile, but when the physio tests my range of movement she says it's only 70%.

​So, whilst  there is no comparison to how I was before my op, the rehabilitation is a long process. I would see someone about your limp as personally, I would have thought that would have gone by now - you may need some different exercises or different help with that.

​Keep cheerful, we have had a big op and expect to be running around like spring chickens! You are much younger that me, I am 63, but have always been very active. Maybe speak to your surgeon.Mine is very helpful and said that if I do not feel right at any time to go back to him. I am sure that your surgeon, after doing all this great work on you, would feel upset if you did not tell him how you feel. You have nothing to lose!

Keep in touch and I hope you start to improve soon

Kindest wishes Linda xx

• Posted

Hi Linda,

That's great news, so happy for you...I had my left THR on June 30th, doing wonderfully, back to playing golf 7 weeks post op, then had my right THR on October 28th, doing very well with the exception of overdoing it, too much walking, too many stairs with cane or crutch, doctor told me to slow it down, take it easy, this is a marathon not a sprint.  

You speak of 'intensive physio', can you elaborate on exactly what this entails, my understanding was that after the 6 week timeframe, physical therapy was no longer required or needed, I live in USA, does insurance cover therapy after the 6 week mark?  What type of exercises / stretching are you doing, if you could provide me with a little more information, I would really appreciate it, thanks...!

• Posted

Hi I am 5 months post op,and my Physio said a few weeks ago I need to get my hip much stronger before I think of playing golf,so I have been to the gym,swimming etc,but you have done so well,how did you start back,I am 72 next and 9/12 months ago I played off 13 handicap.I am going out to Tenerife in Jan and intend to start then I would love some advice,all the best Michael.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.