5 months post achilles repair now re-injured, experiences?

Posted , 3 users are following.

5 months ago I completely ruptured my achilles and it was surgically repaired, slow recovery but in the last month was going really well.  2 days ago I was forced to run (my 1 year old ran off at the pool towards the big pool), whilst running (5 steps or so) I felt a pop and immediate pain, could still move foot and didn't feel like it did last time but still went to A&E, they have done an ultrasound which was inconclusive due to the previous scarring and surgery, couldn't see anything definitive.   Back in the moonboot till I can see the ortho next week, anyone had something similar?  Pain is very minimal and only significant twinge when I move it a certain way, swelling has started coming down already, maybe it was just a strain or scar tissue tearing?  (fingers crossed)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Maybe just scarring. I am same time frame since I had my rupture repaired last August. Just started running again nothing serious one city block day off then two city blocks. Still feel slight numbness of heel but otherwise getting stronger. My calf is at about 75% compared to other. Other than fearing re-rupture what's been your experience? My biggest fear is re-rupture hopefully this is not case for you. 

• Posted

It's been slow, has taken a long time to get up to single leg calf raises, luckily I had a creative physio and we have been strengthening calf with minimal loading of tendon. And I have been compensating with my gait and stretched another tendon in the process, so like most people find, a slow and tedious recovery.

am glad I opted for surgery in the beginning though.

how did you do yours?

• Posted

Wow! So sorry to hear this. That is my biggest fear! I teach PE and I'm going back to work next week. It has been 6 months and I worry about the same thing. Hopefully it isn't completely ruptured. Good luck.

• Posted

A friend of mine built up hers again running on a sprung floor to begin with if you have access to one through work might be helpful?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.