5 weeks after thr

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had my right thr done 20th april, which is 5 weeks ago. I also need the left doing in the near future but i am really struggling to walk as my pt suggested. As my left hip is still so bad, she said to try walking with 1 crutch but supporting my left hip not the operated 1. Have tried this a few times this week without success. Pain in both hips after 20 minute walk & feeling very depressed and vulnerable that i can't manage this.

Op went really well and mostly pain free which is amazing especially since i don't think i realised how much pain i was in until 1 hip no longer has arthiritic pain so all this has been very positive.

Am due to go back tto work in a week on phased return but feeling really anxious about it. I don't want to use both crutches but feel this is what i will have to do. (such a pain when trying to carry things around!)

Has anyone else had 1 hip done & waiting for the other to be done?

I don't have an appointment with my surgeon until 8 weeks post op. Want to know if once the magic 6 weeks is up i can have a bath/sleep on opposite side?

Before having issues with both of my hips we used to go dancing 3 times a week (latin & ballroom) would kike to know if others have been dancing after thr.

I know i am rambling hut i seem to have so many questions buzzing round my head & would appreciate feedback.

Thanks

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had my left hip done 7 weeks today, went to our local community hospital yesterday who did little exept to tell me to keep doing the exersises then asked why I was still using a crutch.I said as I still need support when I am out so he gave me a stick!!!I pressed him to let me come and use the gym so thats in two weeks time.....today I went for my 6 (7) week appointment saw a nurse who asked how it was going ...I told her about the physio or lack of it and she said a lot of hospitals dont do physio for hips and to just do the exersises!!!!

She says I can drive so long as I can do an emergency stop, I can sleep on the operated side, I have not to try to put my sock on yet  and she gave me another stick to see if this would stop me waddling....

I mentioned severe back pain she said this may be due to the aformentioned waddle and if I am the same in eight weeks when I go for another check up they may put a insole in my shoe to make both legs the same...

I know I have not really answered your question Dancing but yes the hip pain has gone and I am walking further and easier everyday but I tire very easily and the back aches really bad...I forgot to mention the bath to the nurse but Im going for it right after I have finished this...

Cheers

• Posted

Thanks Polly, let me know how you get on with the bath. I hate showers! Good luck.
    • Posted

Sorry for this late reply Dancing..re the bath well I sat on my shelf got my legs over the side and into the bath sat and thought about it and chickened out!!!! .....thought if I sat in I would be unable to get out while keeping the leg at a reasonable angle so I got onto my knees and had a good wash that way...think I am just worried incase I pop....Oh Dear .. 
    • Posted

I know exaactly what you mean. It scares me that I might go pop! I have waied for so long for this op I have decided to check with consulltant on my 8 week visit.

I am now managing to walk further but still using 2 crutches due to pain in un-operated leg. I haven't had much contact with the physios and all they say is keep doing the exercises.

Good luck with your next appointment & if all goes well you will be feeling more confident & might be ready to brave the bath again.

Keep in touch.

Jx

• Posted

Dancing, glad you got the one hip done. Going back to work at 6 weeks is hard for most people with THR's, never mind having severe pain in the non-surgical leg. Sounds impossible! I was still suffering from THR energy drain at 6 weeks. Was feeling much better by 10 - 12 weeks. I have needed to use walking aids since my THR in July, 2015 due to a complication that I will have surgically repaired this August. In the meantime, I use a rollator walker all the time in the house. I carry everything all over the house on the seat while holding on to the handles with both hands. I get plenty of support and can carry amazing amounts of things on that seat. If you have to go back to work, perhaps you could have a rollator walker there, that just stays there, for you to use at work. I don't even like using just one crutch, unless I am walking outside and won't need to carry anything. It's not fun carrying things in one arm either, unless it is small and light. Best of luck figuring this out.
    • Posted

I really support your comments Annie - excellent advice. The Rolla tor really helped me -esp to smooth out my gait and gain confidence walking distances.

I am also waiting to get my 2nd hip done, so I truly appreciate Dancing's dilemna and I can not imain returning to work after 6 weeks although I know that many who have had an anterior THR recover quicker than those with the posterior approach.

Good luck to both of you!

• Posted

Hi Dancing, 

Welcome to our hippies forum where we share our personal experiences and stories and find the best support group ..

I was in the same position last year as you are in right now and it is not fun ...

The new hip cannot heal properly because the othe one has gotten so bad that it has to already support while still son fragile - In that sense it is difficult to figure out which leg needs the support - 

Like AnnieK , I also had a rollator - wheels and a seat where I can put things on - very handy - one can hold on to the handles, straighten your posture and take the steps -

The months in between the 2 surgeries were hell - to be honest  ...  

Do you already have a date for the surgery? 

What kind of job do you have ? to got to work on 2 crutches? 

you will know a lot more after your follow up appointment - - usually the restrictions will be relaxed, depending on how you're doing - 

I knwo that we have a member here on the forum who went back dancing and one dear member who took ballroom dancing lessons after his 2nd THR.

Come back here anytime when you have a question or concern okay? 

We all ramble - it is so overwhelming sometimes -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hello Dancing,

I'm brand new to this forum - so hello everyone, you are all amazing and give such good support to fellow members.

In answer to Dancing's question, I am in the same position just opposite side. I had a LTHR a week before Christmas last year and am waiting for the right hip to be done in August.

So far I have had two cancellations, one February and one June because I have heart problems which have to be addressed first

Like you I am having excruciating pain in my old hip and can only walk short distances. My new hip is wonderful but I'm worried that it's bearing too much of the brunt of pressure 😕

I use a cane on my bad side to help and it does, because I have tried walking outside without it and it's almost impossible over any distance. Indoors I do quite well.

I waited until well past the six week period to attempt sleeping on either side because for one thing it hurt and I was worried about dislocation. I can now sleep on both sides comfortably.

As for dancing, my surgeon did say at the start of all this that I would be able to and I can believe her if my next hip is as good as the one already done.

All of this is a very slow process so be kind to yourself and be patient.

Gwen xx

• Posted

Hi Dancing,  I had my right hip replacement in February 2015 and at some point I will need the left doing but not yet. I had a number of physio sessions on the NHS which were really helpful. The physio told me that the reason I was limping was due to the muscles on my operated side being weak. He said I should use a crutch until the limp had gone and recommend using a static bike to strengthen my legs. A week after I started using a bike the limp was gone. I still use it now.

As regards dancing I don't go formally but I have danced on a number of social occasions and have had no problems. You are very early in your recovery so please take it at your own pace and don't compare yourself to others. Every recovery is unique I believe. 

Take care,

Catrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.