5 weeks post op

Posted , 6 users are following.

5 weeks has passed already from my spinal fusion/decompression laminectomy L3-S1. I am feeling AMAZING!!!! i am a tiny bit sore and the pain is less and less. Don't make fun of me (lol) I downloaded the Pokemon Go app on July 6. I started walking around July 7 and since then i have walked 29 miles. I feel phenomenal!  I'm not a huge fan of the heat and we had a few days of a het wave and i just walked around in my house  but i notices if i just sit on the couch from hibernating from the heat i get stiff. But once i walk around the block or something i feel much better. I am so happy i did the surgery. I also cannot wait to swim, lol! August 2 is my next post op appointment to talk about PT. I just wanna swim!!!!! The difference i see just from alst week is amazing. I hope everyone else is doing well! I'm sorry i havent been on here for a while! :D

This whole thing was mentall draining and there were days i was sort of depressed because i can't do much, but i know that it's only temporary. There were days i would cry because i have to depend on everyone else.  I'm a really independent person and love to do everything on my own. I still can't drive and everyone has to drive me everywhere. I have a 15 month old son and it's hard that i can't pick him up and my father has to pretty much watch him 24/7. My dad is retired so i'm lucky i have him here with me. My weight limit has moved up to 10 pounds.  

Thing's are looking up. I'm so happy!

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello DevilwearspaulAm happy to read such a positive report.

Mine was T 1 - S 10 am not doing as well as I have Been due to vertigo starting 3 weeks ago, making me lose all my confidence etc and therefore progressing forward has Been held back the pain level is pretty high and ( now) can't sleep on left side due to the vertigo

• Posted

oh my!!! i hope you feel better!! i hope the vertigo passes and you will start to feel better! Just think positive <3 feel better!!!! 

• Posted

Glad to hear you are doing so well!  I had L4-L5 fusion and L5-S1 revision 4 weeks ago.  Not doing quite as well - my pain increased the past week. I am hopeful for a full recovery though!  I am heading back to work Monday, fingers crossed!
  • Posted

I am so glad to hear a success story - thank you for sharing.  My surgery was June 27th and I am not experiencing dire extremes but I just can't seem to get over a hump.  I end up with 2-3 "good" hours a day but tire extremely easily.  What pain medications are you on? I don't go back to the doctor until August 8th but feel like I should be "doing something".  What would you suggest?

• Posted

Hello Lorilee

I am on TARGIN 15 MG TWICE POORER DAY I have upped the night dose because of the pain it helps me sleep good old fashioned panadols help so does voltaren for inflammation.

• Posted

Hello again Lorilee

excercise in bed I was given some to do in bed, like lying flat on back but turning lower half of body to one side of the bed, and then turning the rest of the body to other side of bed, keeping top half straight on bed.

Also flat on back ,bring left leg up to stomach keeping other leg flat on bed do the same with other leg do those sort of exercises ask a Physio and walk and rest

• Posted

I had my 6 week checkup yesterday after spinal fusion and 2 disc removed.the Dr told me I am a poster child for this surgery.  The bone has started to go together.  I can do whatever I want now.  A week after surgery I started walking and it took me 30 min to do 1/3 of a mile.  I now walk 5 miles every day and spend half an hour in the morning doing exercises.  He told me I really did not even need PT but I told him I already made appointment. I am on no medication,  the trick is to walk walk walk.  I am 65 and doing a 1/2 Ironman in September so I was excited that he said I can now swim and ride my bike,  the 2 months before surgery I spent probably 22 hours a day in bed.  My spine was,so unstable that when I stood or sat the pain was unbearable. I had had 3 epidurals that did nothing.  Passed out once from pain while waiting .  Low point was getting oil changed and lying down on a service station bathroom floor.  Had a woman give me a walker in a parking lot.  Went out for Mother's Day with family and had to leave because the pain was so bad.  Lost my job because I could not work.  Now I feel great!  I truly think 1/2 is surgeon and 1/2 is what you do after.  I am now after 6 weeks with no restrictions,

• Posted

i am so happy for you!!!!! That is SO AMAZING!!!! I just had my 6 week post op and i can't drive yet because i'm being weened off of my pain medication.  The pain isn't that bad now, i love walking and i take my son out for walks so i walk a lot! That is definitely the reason why i am not in as much pain, keeping myself active! they gave me the OK to swim so i have been swimming. it was really awkward the first time because you're like weightless and it was kind if painful when i went in but after that it felt great! it is definitely 1/2 surgeon 1/2 you! they do their part and you have to continue to do your part!! I am so happy you are doing much better :D I'm so sorry you lost your job! sad

• Posted

Hi,

Im glad to read that you are doing so well. After reading your and Helens post I def need to change for this next op, when I get a date!, no lolling about the house. I can still take things easy but I must try to walk, walk, walk! I do love walking normally but it's so painful now, there is no pleasure at all in it. I also want to get off all this medication, I'm hating it all right now, especially the morphine! You keep on walking and keep letting me know how you're doing, you are now my inspiration.........

Linda x

• Posted

I start physical therapy September 7 and I'm a little nervous! I am being weened off of the pain medication. I'm still on percocet 5 mg. The osteoarthritis though, is no joke. That's been a big issue for me lately. We celebrated my sister in law's 25th birthday yesterday and all i did was sit and walk around a little bit and i woke up this morning like i just had surgery yesterday! I know it's gonna take time for the pain level to go down. Other than that, I can't believe it's been 2 months already. Walking is the best for recovery!! I have been walking probably 1-3 miles a day! Do you know when you will come off of you pain medication? Hope you are doing well xoxo!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.