5 weeks post op following disectomy. Feeling ill

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi

I had surgery 5 weeks ago.  I did have an infection on my would and was placed on a high does of antibiotics for 2 weeks.  Was feeling great however over past week I started getting severe pain down my leg and back throbbing.  For the past few days I've developed flu like symptoms.  I have a temp of 38.6, hands and feet cold.  I woke up last night and my clothes were soaking wet.  Now feeling sick and sore head.  Not sure if linked to surgery.  Any advice.  I hate bothering GP and to be honest don't feel I could make my way to surgery on my own. My hubby is at work 

jackie

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jackie,

I cannot believe you are worried about bothering Doctors. Ring your surgery straight away and explain you symptoms, not been a Doctor but it maybe the infection is not fully cleared from your system. As with all things you got to nip it in the bud so please please phone straight away- maybe just need stronger antibiotics

• Posted

Absolutely agree with the above Jackie!

You need to contact your GP as soon as possible. Please take no chance with your health, especially after having gone through major surgery with complications. Your health and wellbeing is paramount! Good luck

• Posted

Hi Jackie,

Sorry to hear how you are feeling. 

Please do not delay in getting further medical advice. It is far better for you, and the medical people to treat this now, before it gets worse. 

Please do not worry about bothering Doctor's they are there to help you. 

I hope you get it sorted very soon.

Gary  

• Posted

Thanks everyone.  My husband contacted NHS out of hours last night and I was seen by out of hours.  Then seen by doctor at A&E as my temp was so High.  Bloods taken and came back that infection has returned.  Prescribed high dose of oral antibiotics 500mg Penicilin four times per day and 100mg Flucloxacillin 4 times per day.  To see my GP on Friday, however if symptoms get worse will need to be admitted for IV.   My concern is this is the second time I have been placed on such a high dose of antibiotics in the last 5 weeks.  Can't be good for your immune system.  But needs must.  

Was hoping to get back to work next week doesn't look like that will be happening.. Climbing the walls, demented being stuck at home.  I have never been off work as long as this in my 35 years of employment.  Been off since end off May (although did return for 4weeks in September then was called in for my surgery).

Anyhow thanks guys for the advice and fingers crossed this dam infection is killed off.  

• Posted

Take your time going back to work and when you do try and work standing up leaning against a stool, if you are desk based.

Also go back part time for the first month.

I am 10 months post op and still rather stand than sit, as my back stiffens up: (yes I said my back !)   

• Posted

Hi Jackie,

Thank goodness you rang. As I suspected the infection was not fully cleared.

It is quite common post op. but key thing is you have got to let your body have the time to heal properly, you have just been through a major op.( I know, I had one 4 months ago) so do not be so hard on yourself and it will be better to worry about work once you healed rather than going back and having to take time off again.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Jackie.

How are you doing now ? Did the 2nd lot of antibiotics work ?  

I'm due a disectomey in February. One of my biggest fears is infection because I know this can have an overall affect whether surgery can be successful. My consultant has given me 60% at best for a good outcome.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi

I required a 3rd dose of oral antibiotics but a smaller dose think it was to kill the infection off. thankfully the infection appears to have cleared. I am feeling much better although still getting sow discomfort in my leg and foot. nothing like I experienced prior to my surgery may I add. It is definitely about listening to your body and slowing down, something I have struggled with.

I am attending physio 1 day per week and following the exercises I have been given.

I returned to work last week on a 6 week phased return, however, I have a lot of annual leave to use so will be doing a 2 day week until the end of the year.

The biggest challenge at present is trying to come off medication. The side affects are awful but almost off the nuproxen and gabaphentin.

I hope your surgery goes well and remember lots of people get the surgery without infection.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Jackie

Thanks for your update. I'm pleased for you and your progress is sounding positive which is great and may it continue.. My stenosis and disc hernia problems have been rapidly degenerating over the last 10 weeks. I hope to report similar success after surgery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.