5 weeks post op LTHR

Posted , 11 users are following.

5 weeks post op today and my operated hip feels great. If my left hip wasn't so bad I would be walking unaided and off all pain meds. The surgeon wants to wait 3 months to schedule my left hip so I'm not able to enjoy my new hip completely but I am in half as much pain as I was.

I just get lonely during the day. I list my job 7 months ago and have been sitting at home alone all day and I don't have a car.

My daughters get home from school at 3 and my girlfriend at 5:30 but usually has things going on after work like tonight she has choir practice and wont be home until 9:30 and play rehearsal other nights.

Now I have to figure out what I want to do for a living after recovering from my second surgery. The surgery will be at least 4 months from now so I have time. My car needs a new transmission so I'm also considering fixing it and giving it to my oldest daughter , (she'll get her license in a couple weeks) and bying something else for me. In the mean time it's more hanging around the house all day talking to my daughters pet guinea pigs.

Well, that's my story for now.

4 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Chris, that's good news that your surgical hip is doing so well! So sorry about the pain from the other one and your loneliness. And you have the other hip due to be done soon, and have pain from that. Glad you are posting here for support! Enjoy those guinea pigs - they can be so sweet. Hope you can find some things to do at home that will occupy your time and make you feel better!
  • Posted

Hi Chris,

I'm 10 weeks and still use my stick, now and again, so wouldn't worry too much about that. I suppose it will be a good thing , getting them both done in the short term, will be all over and done with, then you just have to get yourself healed. My second one will possible be about 3 or 4yr.

Aww, I am sorry about your job.  Do you see anyone when you go for your walks?

When I was wandering about the town I would stop and talk to anyone, that broke up my day a little. But I do have my hubby around, actually my son and hubby out this afternoon and I love it lol. But suppose it is different when it's for longer hours.

So if we hear squeaking and chirrups we know what it is then, you should be fluent in no time.biggrin

Take care

Lynn xx

• Posted

Glad that all is well with the first hip op, i cn sympathise with you about the pain in the 2nd hip,my surgeon waited till 4 months before i had the 2nd one done, this to give the first one a chance to heal.  Has he said wether or not you can start driving again yet, also how far are you from your village or town
    • Posted

At my 4 week appointment last week he cleared me to drive.

I live about a mile from town. I don't run into anyone when I go out for a walk so I wait until my daughters or girlfriend comes home to go for a walk just to be safe. I feel like a dog waiting for someone to come home to walk me. Lol!

Soon I should feel comfortable going for walks by myself. I just stopped using a walker Tuesday.

• Posted

Definitely feeling for you - I am 10 wks post LTHR and waiting to get my second done later this summer. The wait and pain are tough but the wait is sensible (I cannot get my head around several patients who had both hips done at once - cannot imagine recovery).

I am very sorry for your job loss. I imagine this just amplifies the feeling of vulnerability that this experience engenders. Job loss seems to be all too common for our group (perhaps our age and company doubts about our ability to continue to do the job play into these decisions in hard economic times). I am lucky as I retired a few years back and only work as a volunteer while supporting my parents who have dementia).

No matter how you look at it though, it is hard to lose a job though and creates even more uncertainty while you are recovering. A few members have chosen to look at this as an impetus to look hard at changing fields. Perhaps, this is something to consider as you have more time to think through how you would like to spend your work life in future. I would consider an HR firm to help think this through and market you once you are ready to return to the workforce. And consider whether this might be an opportunity for some training that might help you move you into your ideal job.

All this to say - this whole rollercoaster experience is hard, even without losing your job. I really hope though that you will end up without the limiting pain, and that this period will give you the time to think through next steps for your future.

In sympathy but also hope.

Linda

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words Linda.

I have a great opportunity now to figure out what I want to do next and even going back to school is an option. I'm not in a rush since I'm on temporary disability until I'm completely recovered and I will get paid for vocational rehabilitation. I just have to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Lol!

• Posted

I know how lonely it can be I am talking to two cats who don't talk back😥Glad your first hip is doing so good I'm sure you will feel like a new person once you get the other one done ! I've been having aching ninths leg and thighs still swollen making some exercises challenging but saw surgeon today to alleviate concerns and he said I was doing great for six weeks and X-rays look great snd my range of motion for that hip is good . I had no range of motion in it before. Wish I had not waited so long to have it done I could've back to new by now.
  • Posted

Hi Chris...You get a vote just keep in touch... from me....it is difficult to adjust, and you will do so in your own way and it will change the way you see your life, and give you a subtle different confidence.
  • Posted

Hi Chris, 

It is good news that everything is okay with your right hip - Range of motion, the hardware in place and your surgeon happy with your progress - 

I am so sorry that you lost your job - I was laid off from a job I loved and have not been able to get passed it - too old (experienced) and thus too expensive - so I found myself forced into retirement - 

I  have been a similar route - first right hip and then 6 months later the left one - 

your priority the coming months is healing, darling - you can't do anything else right now - 

did you like your job and is it anything you would like to go back to? 

so sorry about your car too - 

I  wish I could help you with the lonely hours - 

you know you can always come here, right - not only when you have a question or concern, but also share your stories and experiences - we learn so much from each other - not only that, but this is the only place where we are understood and supported - 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I know the feeling with regard to the 2nd hip, I had my first done in November and looking forward to getting the second on done in a few weeks. I started recovering from the first but then started going downhill and in more pain than ever again now.

I was lucky in respect of work, I was made redundant from a heavy industrial job a few years ago, rather than try to find another job in that field I retrained in the computer industry. I worked for a few years as a field service engineer visiting clients to repair and install computer systems, when i was no longer able to do that I started working from home dealing with clients over the phone and if I was unable to fix them I would arrange an engineer to go out to them, If I had not had that option I would have been out of work for several years now.

Hope you soon get your second replacement and then start rebuilding your life. It is not easy changing careers as you get older but it can be done.

• Posted

Chris I can tell by your writing that you have a positive attitude that will help you recover and return to work. I've been jobless, too, and decided to go back to school. I don't regret it. You might consider it. My son is the hippie and 7 wks postop. He's finding it difficult getting back into working on his dissertation as he has little energy and stamina. 

Whatever you decide, I wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.