5 weeks post TKR - shopping trip - not ready yet :(

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm now 5 weeks post surgery - Surgeon is very happy with me and doesn't want to see me now for another 12 months, so I thought, yep I'm fine, ready to go out and be normal again ... I'm not on meds anymore so off I went.

Drove into town, went to the supermarket, Target, Post Office and a couple of other places, and went home again and crashed on the couch for the rest of the day.  I was out for a couple of hours and this was the result?! Slept until dinner time, hardly ate, felt like I'd been hit by a truck and felt aweful!

Anyone else experience this on their first day out?

Maybe I'm just not ready for this yet.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Huge difference between Dr as u ing you are o.k. and your body saying it's o.k. ease back into all your activities. People will think you are fine and the next thing you will really be sick. Rememer the theory most docs use....a year for you to be back, now look At it this way. 5 weeks is 10% of a year. So who's the most dependable, the doc that wants you out of his hair or your body that wants to be nurtured back to health
    • Posted

Welcome back!! How was your surgery??

Thanks for your reply ... yeah it was a terrible day yesterday. I am soooo nt ready to be 'normal' again yet. I really paid the price. 

Back on Panadols again, think I'll rely on those and ice for a while ...

Cheers!

• Posted

You are doing amazingly well to be off pain meds and driving at five weeks!!  I wasn't allowed to drive until after six weeks.  I'm thirteen weeks and still can be done in at the end of the day if I do too much. Going back to work tomorrow and dreading how I'm going to feel at the end of my shift.  Only have two shifts then three days off so shouldn't be too bad.  Rest and ice and hopefully you will feel better tomorrow and don't beat yourself up if you have an off day here and there.  It's happened to all of us.
    • Posted

Thanks Helen, I've been told since I had the TKR how wonderfully well I'm doing and I suppose I must have started to believe it ... I've been told so often that its been hard to believe I am anything BUT a freak of nature! I'll have to start reminding myself that I AM only in early days and not let everyone else's opinion drive me to do more than I can ... sad
  • Posted

HI, I'm now 7 months and still have soreness every day in the muscles, tendons etc.  If i dont do any exercise i suffer, if i do too much, i suffer.  It's a L>O>N>G journey!!

Take it slow and easy.  No one can comment on how you should feel unless they have had the op!  :o)

• Posted

Thanks Suzi ..

Really! 7 months and you still have that pain sad

Damn! So I can still expect to do knee/leg exercises that long! Wow!

• Posted

Hi Suzi

I'm the same as you, but 9 months now.  Began to struggle at about the 5 week stage and then knee got stiffer an stiffer.  Manipulation in March, but still cannot straighten.  This knee has been far more painful than my first knee and everything is such an effort!  Thank God that I can drive OK, as all other normal activities are very restricted.

Let's hope that we can get back to some normality soon.

Take care.

Patsy

• Posted

Totall agree, I too am 7 months and it is the same.  Long journey and no two days are the same.  Slowly does it!
    • Posted

Everyone tells me it takes about a year. I guess compared to the first few weeks we're pretty good. My bend is good. No idea what it is now. I gave up measuring - but is still not totally straight as the other one. I can do most things so I shouldn't complain. Just the tightness above the knee and the sore muscles - especially after sitting for a while (desk job)

You're brave having a second one done. Needs must I guess! Hope it improves for you smile

• Posted

Same as every one as said, . Surgeons only do the op, . Five weeks is nothing, I only had pkr, and now at eight weeks can only drive comfortably for ten minutes , I constantly over do it, and pay heavily , my knee is still really tight, and uncomfortable, most of the time, you really need to slow down or you will be in bother, it is a slow return to normal, , but you are doing very well, so you don't want to start going backwards, because you pushed your self to hard, I now it's boring , believe me I'm dyeing of boredom, but I am learning the hard way constantly , and it hurts, so not a good idea. Good luck😀
    • Posted

Thank you Mandy, and yep I hear you! I am scared of going backwards and undoing all the good work I've done so far. But I do get a lot of encouragement from hearing that others, with far longer post surgery time than me, still saying they have to deal with each day as it comes, because not all days are good. I suppose having a few good days in amongst all the not so great ones is a good thing and I should be happy for that.
  • Posted

Well, my first day out wasn't quite as packed as yours and I didn't drive until 6 weeks. You did a ton!!! You probably need to ease into it and not try to take on the world all in one day. cry Often, the day after an outing, I'd have to take a little extra rest. Definitely use more ice and give it some time. I like your spirit and attitude though.
    • Posted

Thanks Moandrieu! I must say today isn't one of the 'good' days .. wondering if I really should be off all meds (other than panadol) already. I just want to be 'normal' again. I feel that all eyes are on me to 'get better' and 'get on with it' ... probably just me though. Even hubby who tries so hard to understand, says to me 'why you so gloomy lately?' ... dahhhh because I'm always sore and stiff! ... Thanks again smile

• Posted

I have to admit, I waited a little longer with my Ultracet. I had an international trip from India to Thailand and Myanmar 9 weeks after my surgeries and I took it during parts of the trip...the times when there was extra walking involved. Don't be afraid to remind people that it is a long process. There will be good days and bad days mixed in together. Give yourself permission to not push too hard all the time. And remind people that it could take up to two years (maybe you'll be a lucky one who really does do well quickly, but if people are aware that it can be a long difficult road, they may be more willing to extend extra grace to you.
    • Posted

Wow! I'm impressed! I look at all my recent trip photos and just dream of being able to choof off again ... you've made me think it IS possible!! Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.