5 weeks today!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello lovely hippies!

5 weeks today I was setting nervously off to the hospital!

Yesterday drove my car for the first time, went and filled up with petrol and bought a few essential items - yes wine and crisps!

can get in and out no problems. Walking without stick or limp!

managing stepping up stairs with my operated leg once I have got moving. Down to one anti inflammatory a day (for my other hip!)

no painkillers

Walking up to two miles most days. 

Still have some discomfort, butt pain and soreness/ tenderness around the wound site. So when I rest I get my feet up and apply ice. Think lounging on raised sofa binge watching House of Cards on Netflicks!

Back to cooking for the whole family, washing and a bit of half hearted cleaning. Have told husband I am not allowed to use the vacuum cleaner for at least three years!!!!!

I am so glad to have had the opportunity of this surgery and will not hesitate to have the other hip done as soon as it needs it. 

Even the Spinal which I was worried about ( thanks for all your reassuring comments!) was brilliant. Will have it again. 

To be honest the whole thing has been easier than I thought, although I have had my moments it has definitely been worth it. 

Thank you all, I am so glad I found this forum. 

Thank you Graham for your Laymans Guide. It is a realy good resource. 

One more week of hip precautions/ restrictions and I realy don't mind. 

Take care all new hippies, go slowly and steadily we all want our brand new hips to last as long as possible. 

As mine is uncemented I felt I needed to give it time to "bed" in and for bone to grow, I don't think you can rush that. 

Think I am rambling on a bit now. 

Healing Fairy Dust to all. ??

Kris. X

4 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So good to read your post Kris, you give such hope! you made me smile, I read your post to my husband telling him I will probbly have a 3 year limattion on vacumning as well! LOL i am struglling with the idea of the spinal, I am 2 week pre op from tomorrow Aug 9th. So glad you are doing well! Cheers, one day  one step at a time. Annette xo
  • Posted

Hi Kris,

Loved your report - progress and sense of humour (does you husband realize yet that the vacuum ban is not a joke and that you just forgot to include the windows)?

It is super to hear how well you are doing. May I ask whether you continue with any exercises?

Go forth and ... have a fabulous life.

L

• Posted

How wonderful. That really inspires me. I am 2 weeks post op today and feel I have turned a corner. Getting in and out of the car is still difficult and your lovely message gives me hope that it will get easier. All the best for your future.
  • Posted

What a great post, Kris!  We are just about hip twins -- mine was June 17.  I'm hoping to drive this week.....I think I'm going to head out early some morning before much traffic and get used to driving again!  I'm certainly able to get in and out of other cars easily so I expect it won't be a problem.       Are your hip precautions for just 6 weeks?  Mine are for double that -- 12 weeks.  Anterior approach?  I am the uncemented type also.   

Don't tell your husband, but I actually vacuumed yesterday and it went quite well!  Shhhhhhh!    

Keep up the great work!  

Leslie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.