5 year old son with chronic constipation. Please Help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Okay so here's a little back story on my son's situation. Since he was an infant we have been battling this issue. I'm talking formula changes, diet changes, suppositories, enemas, miralax, added supplements, warm baths, back and tummy massages, etc. I feel I have tried close to everything. I have taken him to the doctors and the ER and all they do is say diet change, or tell me how to get him unplugged...I know all this I need a solution to the problem not how to fix it everytime it happens because that's a constant. My son refuses to poop because he is terrified of the pain... I am now starting to worry that he is impacted from how much he is holding it...Any other methods I can try... I think I need his poop to literally liquify until I can retrain him to realize that it doesn't hurt... 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have had fissures for a long time and even after surgery I had some new episodes.  Diet is the only way out.  It's a slow process but a successful one. If you are all focussed on making his stools liquidy, then feed him juices that are loaded with Vit C.  Carrot (no pulp), Watermelon (with pulp).  Should be on empty stomach though. For lunch,fish or boiled cauliflower and rice.  All you have look for are easily digestible foods.  It took me a while to understand that broccoli is hard to digest while cauliflower isn't.  Plain rice is easily digestible while brown rice isn't. Please ignore if you are already aware of this.  You probably know better than what I have researched.  However, would still like to write just in case.  No gluten and dairy for some time until he passes all the backed up stuff. Feed him the same food everyday for at least a week.  Miralax should be the only OTC helper at the moment.  No suppositories please.  They actually damage or make healing of the area slower.  You could instead apply some olive oil to the area just few minutes before a bowel movement.  This is the time when the opening is widened to the max due to pressure.  The oil will prevent the tears. Consume warm water only.  Consume one-half  Magnesium Oxide 250 mg, a temporary relief for stool impaction and Vit E supplment everyday until the tears are healed.  Check his cereal or any food if it is fortified with iron and calcium.  Iron constipates and calcium contracts muscles which is why he is able to hold it so well.  As I am writing this, I have several questions on my mind.  You are dealing with a 5 year old boy so not sure how you would manage all this.  I know you must be tired of listening to the diet changes but I got healed with diet changes only.  Neither sitz bath worked nor exercise.  You are right about softening the stools to the extent where it is watery.  And the best way to get that consistency is by loading him up with vitamin C. Also please make sure that everything he consumes is soluble fibre.  No insoluble fibre until he eliminates all that is hard.   Hope he gets healed faster and the pain becomes history. 
  • Posted

My 3 year old son used to struggle to pass stools every 4 , 5 or even 6 days .

The doctor gave us Lactose base syrups , totally useless . 

He has a good diet with fruit and water but never helped .

A hospital consultant prescribed MOVICOL PAEDIATRIC .....AMAZING  !!!

We started with 2 packets day 1  , day 2 same dose ,day 3 stools passed .

Now we give one sachet every 2nd day and stools are smooth and passed easily. We mix powder in apple juice but any suitable liquid will do. 

Its expensive so your doctor may prescribe a generic product , insisit on MOVICOL its made by Norgine.

Good Luck

• Posted

Oh poor thing. Get a nutrient extractor and make him a mixture of fresh spinach, kale, mangoes, pineapple and add whole flaxseeds to the mix before blending. Don't use a blender, it doesn't work the same as a nutrient extractor. Add his fave juice. Even his fave Frits but always make the base spinach, kale and whole flaxseeds. Unfortunately making his poop liquidy will mean causing him to have dioreaah type poop,and you don't want that. You want loose poop but not dioreahh. With this mixture his poop shouldn't hurt. Get him in on the fun making his smoothie with you. It could now be psychological. His fears of going may be manifesting as physical pain. It's not surprising. Poor thing. Reassure him. I went through this and suffered for over a decade until I started making fresh smoothies. Incorporate lentils and baked potatoes into his diet.they help a treat. Avoid constipation remedies like tablets or suppositories. You want his Bowel working and doing the work. If you give him constipation meds then over time his weakens the bowel muscles and colon. Been there done that. 

i hope this helps your little one. Keep me posted 

• Posted

It may take a few days to take effect and it may take one depending on how his stomach and bowels are. With me it worked pretty quickly and I had been suffering for a long time. I tried countless other food mixes. Oats, yogurt etc... And this is the only thing that doesn't fail.you don't want to be stuck giving him meds for who knows how many years or him having to continue this cycle as he grows up. Try the natural food method and see how that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.