5th Metacarpal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

Just under 2 weeks ago i broke my 5th Metacarpel bone, I went my nearest A&E department who x-rayed it and put me in a back slab until my appointment with the fracture clinic. When I saw the doctor he said he was going to keep the back slab on for a further 3 weeks, after speaking to a retired nurse she informed me that this should not of happened and i need to be in a full cast to Immobilize my hand. Do you think i need to go back to the hospital or stick it out for the 3 weeks ? I just dont want the bone to move and have to have it pinned. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I googled your problem and this is what I found. I can't advise any further. 

"Nonsurgical Treatment

Most of the time, the bones can be realigned by manipulating them without surgery. A cast, splint or fracture-brace is applied to immobilize the bones and hold them in place. The cast will probably extend from the fingertips down past the wrist almost to the elbow. This ensures that the bones remain fixed in place. 

A second set of X-rays will probably be needed about a week later. These X-rays are used to ensure that the bones have remained in the proper position. 

The cast will be worn for three to six weeks. Gentle hand exercises can probably be started after three weeks. Afterward, the finger may be slightly shorter, but this should not affect the ability to use the hand and fingers."

• Posted

I broke my 5th metacarpal on May 25th, at the head, and it was displaced, so I needed two pins. Pins and splint were left for 3 weeks, then the pins were removed. I unfortunately fell and rebroke it 1.5 weeks later. It was re splinted, but treated conservatively without a second surgery. The splint was on for 3 weeks. I am now in my 7th week of physio therapy and am only at 50% knuckle movement compared to my other hand. It is painful all the time (like arthritis pain) and my wrist is also very week and arthritic.

I hope you have a speedy recovery. All the best.

• Posted

In all honesty, I would go along with the doctor who actually saw the x-ray of your hand rather than the retired nurse that didn't. Every fracture is different and the doctor would have made the call based on what he saw on the x-ray.

It may be that it is only a tiny hairline crack that is unlikely to move or break further with just the back slab on. It is also worth noting that having the back slab removed and a full cast put on may actually make the break worse, which is why the doctor decided to leave it, particularly if you had to wait a day or two to see the doctor at the fracture clinic since the bone would have already started to heal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.