5th metatarsal fracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

I broke mine 14 weeks ago and still in a boot .Was told 2 weeks ago I needed surgery then got a phone call t say iit had been cancelled due to a cat scan needed.needed . feels tons better and can put weight on it but still has odd feeling about.it.It has been an absolute nightmare having to chase and ring up for answers to what next.Have got an appointment to see doc to discuss scan results and my.name is still on list for operation.what is going on.here ..is it a scan to see bones before op or to see if it's healed .Have had enough now

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jackie80595. It sounds like your doctor wants to confirm it is healing. Once he/she knows they can move forward with surgery or cancel.

Mine ordered an MRI before he scheduled me for surgery.

• Posted

Thank you i wondered that .i. hope no surgery as i need to get back to work
    • Posted

Yes Jackie80595. The MRI showed partial healing non-Union. I now have a 2" (US measurements) in my bone.
    • Posted

How long was you waiting for op and how long was you in boot before decision x
    • Posted

Jackie80595, I originally broke it back on January 7th of this year. My doctor gave me the option of surgery or a walking boot at that time. I chose the walking boot for 11 weeks. Week 8 (March 6th) is when the MRI was done. I went back to the doctor on March 9th. That is when he decided I needed surgery. My surgery was done on April 2nd. Approximately three weeks after the MRI was done. I think that was because he was out of town for a week.
  • Posted

I am so sorry, Jackie. The medical system has become a nightmare. I have only been 4 weeks now, but continue to have discomfort and some numbness in the bottom of my foot and toes. Did or do you experience that? The boot is very uncomfortable on my entire foot, not just the area of the break.
    • Posted

I guess you need another boot .I changed mine .That is probably why you are feeling discomfort on rest of foot.it will get easier but dowwhat they sayas you might end up aas long as me.i hope mines healed.never again
    • Posted

It's sounds like it's to tight also pat .It should not be like that at all x
  • Posted

I questioned the boot size, I should be between the small and med., but it's the best offered. It is a (very expensive) air boot and I play with the pressure.  In reading more in this forum, I think it is normal swelling and my foot is sensitive.  I have been removing the boot when I am sitting with my foot up, that is helpful. Yes, I am doing as told. NWB for 8 wks!
  • Posted

I did not have surgery. At 3 wk ck/x-ray he said it looked good. 5 more weeks NWB w/Airboot and an addition 4 wks Airboot light walking. smile
  • Posted

maybe that reply was for a question asked of  someone else.  I am new to forum etiquette and process.  Sorry. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.