5th metatarsal fracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

i fractured my 5th metatarsal 7 weeks ago. Had a cast put on and it was taken off at the fracture clinic last week. Doctor just discharged me, no follow up or X-ray.

it is now very painful when I walk and still swollen. Feels like it's still broken. Today I bandaged it tightly and it felt slightly better, do you think it's ok to put bandage on.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I would phone fracture clinic for advice as putting on a bandage could affect your circulation . I would insist on an X-ray how do they know it's healing . I had cast on for 6 weeks and was given an X-ray when it was taken off , doc said it was healing but these fractures are notorious for non Union this can then cause problems so I would contact fracture clinic or doctor to help your peace of mind. Also continue to elevate and apply ice pack( not directly onto skin)and take painkillers and anti inflammatory for pain and swelling. I have been using boot with crutches for a week after having a non weight bearing cast for 6 weeks and I've got swelling and pain but there's no way I could walk on it without them . Did you have a non weight bearing cast too ? 
    • Posted

Yes had non weight bearing for 3 weeks then cast where I could put my foot down ffor next 3 weeks. Should I take ibuprofen?
    • Posted

I would I am taking it when I'm in pain and I'm still on crutches with boot, I'm also taking co coda mol if it's very painful . Do u still have crutches for support? 
  • Posted

5th metatarsal fractures are usually only one part of a more wide-spread injuty which could be called an "ankle sprain". This means that a number of soft tissue, and not readily visible structural tissues, can be damaged. Do not think that an "ankle sprain" is a minor injury. At times it can lead to a persistantly unstable ankle.

If bandaging (which is commonly used) makes you more secure and stable, and less painful, go ahead and use it.

Stationary cycling is a big help in reducing recovery times.

• Posted

I had thought about using the excercise cycle but didn't kno if pressing on the pedals would do more damage.
    • Posted

If you are in severe pain and feel it's still broken phoning up for advice from fracture clinic may put your mind at rest. The nurses I had asked me to phone if I was unsure or worried about my fracture it's not wasting time but maybe avoiding further problems. It could be that doc could tell by examination that it was healing but a phone call to nurse at clinic provides reassurance on pain bandage and weight bearing.
  • Posted

There is practically no chance of an ankle bandage interfering with circulation of the foot. Stay away from anti-inflammatories if at all possible. Demanding additional x-rays is usually not helpful - additional radiation and wasting NHS resources are to be avoided.
  • Posted

I'm week 21 weeks after fracturing my 5th metatarsal and my ankle, had new x-rays four weeks ago, Dr hadn't wanted to x-ray my ankle, but I insisted, the one 10 weeks previously showed it hadn't healed, and they'd promised to x-ray it this visit. New ones showed no improvement the ankle has joined but no bone growth and the 5th metatarsal hasn't healed at all, as it has a screw in it the Drs hope that full weight bearing will aid bone growth. I go back in two months and if the foot and ankle hurt as much as they do now, will expect both to be x-rayed again.
  • Posted

Update on previous post. Ankle and foot are much better. Swelling is going down and pain and stiffness is improving. The strange thing is I have very bad pain in my knee on the front right hand side of knee cap. It seems to be the muscle that straightens the leg which I probably wasn't using when leg was in plaster. It is ver disabling and I can only walk slowly and I am taking ibuprofen tablets. Do you think I should see my GP about this?
  • Posted

Hi pam I am in my ninth week still wearing boot using one crutch. I have pain in my knee and bottom of my back when walking or standing for any length of time. Like you I m assuming it's due to lack of muscle use . I have a return visit to hospital on Wednesday hope to be told everything's healing nicely. My foot still has a little swelling and slight bruising but the pain is now minimal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.