5th Metatarsal Fracture Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I broke my 5th metatarsal at the tip. It is slightly out of alignment and in a few pieces. I was non-weight bearing in an air boot for 4 weeks and went for a return X-ray this past week. I was given permission to use weight in the boot for three weeks (when I will be evaluated again) with the instruction to stop if there was "unusual pain". Here's my question- will I know? I haven't used my foot or leg for over a month so it's naturally very tender/sore. I assume that is usual...I am noticing after resting and getting back on my feet, there seems to be more pain than when I initially step on it in the morning. Also usual? Has anyone experienced the cracking/popping feeling when walking? It doesn't happen with pain, but as you can imagine, it scares me! It's more like a "cracking knuckle" feeling...also usual? Thanks for any help!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

oh, that does not sound good to me but, I had a screw put in a non displaced so never had pain. I am finding on this site that each physician has a different way of diagnosing and treating this fracture. Is your doctor an orthopedic surgeon? 
    • Posted

A podiatrist actually...initially I was told 2 weeks no weight and then she added two more. But since the last x-ray showed progress and she told me to gradually add weight (15min/hr to start)
    • Posted

Also, I did not require surgery...but on top of all that, I am pregnant...
  • Posted

I dont think you should have pain. I broke my 5th metatarsal Nov 15, so I am 6 weeks post injury. I was non-weight bearing completely until Sunday. When I went to my last podiatrist appt (last week) he took another xray, the bone is not healing completely. So he wants me to add some weight bearing walking (up to 2 hours per day). I have been walking a bit on it (with the airboot) and have no pain at all, and my bone is not even healed. So if yours is healing I dont think you should have pain or discomfort. Mine also does not crack. I would call your doctor and ask! I got back on the 3rd and Im hoping that this new strategy has helped my bone heal. 
  • Posted

Hi , I am in the same boat . I too have the clicking/ popping soundwhile walking .di have a follow up next week (6 week follow up after toe fracture).did u outgrow of the popping sound . I'm very much worried .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.