5wks post lthr op,not happy with progress

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,i'm 5wks post op,dont thnk i'm makin a lot of progress,still cant put full weight on left op leg,tryin 2 use just 1 crutch,but right shoulder is rlly painful,any advice welcome x

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pauline,

If it's any comfort, I'm 7 weeks today and equally as frustrated. I've learnt that there is no rushing this recovery business and no way to compare against others. I had a long chat with my physio about expectations for the first time this week (I'm in the UK so no regular visits or therapy until now) She explained all the muscles that were involved and other structures. Did you know we counted over 20 different structures that need to get their strength back after healing takes place!!?? I certainly didn't and it put everything into perspective. I went from 2 crutches to a stick only last week. I had dreadful shoulder pain using one crutch. I think I was leaning too heavily which meant I wasn't ready to come off 2, so I went back on them. I try and listen to my body now....so one day I will do more walking, the next I will add some exercises. I mean you wouldn't go to the gym and then not have a rest day after would you? I have a feeling our hips would heal quite naturally with minimum intervention anyway ??

What I'm trying to say is, if you're not ready for one crutch or one stick then that's ok. Use what is comfortable, you don't want problems later on down the line. I am no where near walking without my stick as I lean too. It's not something that will get better if you force it, it just needs time.

I stop looking for improvement on a daily basis now and do a weekly review. I write things down so I can see how far I've come, that helps me no end when I think I'm not progressing!!

Take care of you and please message me anytime you want to ??

Jacqui

• Posted

Thanx Jacqui,i 2 am in uk,my follow up is not til sept,feel a bit abandond!! I will take all ur all ur advice on board,i nd 2 stop being so hard on myself and look at the bigger picture many thanx xxx
    • Posted

Yes, it's how it is here it seems.....consultant follow ups are 3 months post op. But hey, we have each other here, so we don't feel so isolated!! Like I say I've only just seen a physio and that's because I asked because I was worried about not walking unaided. All is well though ?? 

There is no comparison to judge by, your surgery, pre op condition, health status are all unique to you, so your recovery will be unique too!! 

Keep coming here though, it's a great source of comfort.

Keep smiling, this is the beginning of your new pain free life!!

Jacqui

• Posted

Super great post Jacqui! 20 different structures ... hhhmm. No wonder we have a few ups and downs along the journey!

L

• Posted

Good mental shift Pauline!

While the first two weeks are tough physically. I think the following weeks are harder on us emotionally and mentally as this operation is not a quick fix, and being dependent on others goes against the grain for most of us.

I thanked the gods every day for this forum - and the opportunity to get advice and encouragement from others who have 'walked' this journey and really understand it's frustrations. There are so many wonderful, generous souls here - with wonderful advice and encouragement. And the beauty of it is that sometimes you get to help others through these discussions.

Hang in there Pauline. It will get easier and the end goal is wonderful (and at 5 months, I feel confident enough to tackle my second hip).

Big hugs,

L

• Posted

Excellent information, Jacqui.  It's a lot of healing going on -- and it all takes time.  

My shoulder hurt for a while -- my left shoulder and I'm right handed.  I think it might have been because I was doing so much with my left arm.  Normally it just hangs there, perhaps giving me balance!  I am a strong right-hander.  But now I use the cane/crutch in my right and do everything with my left.  It wasn't used to working so hard.  Feels better this week.  Maybe a plus of all this is that it will be a bit stronger.

• Posted

Wonderful post Jacqui. I am going to incorporate the weekly review versus measuring my progress daily as that doesn't help. Thanks again.

Have a good week.

Cathy????

• Posted

Rome wasn't built in a day , you are still very early on in you're recovery, I will be 11 weeks post op on weds and still don't feel 100% , it takes time so don't get disheartened it will come in time ?

• Posted

Many thanx 2 my fellow hippies 4 some sound and sensible advice,nice 2 kno i am not alone xxxx
  • Posted

Lots of good advice and support from other hippies Pauline. Try not to get discouraged or alarmed. Great advice from Jacqui. Helpful  for me too.

Its hard to stay patient. If you go to the physiotherapy, he/she may suggest a cane as it seems to put less pressure on your shoulder. 

Warm Hugs,

Cathy

• Posted

Hi Pauline:

All of our progress is different. A lot of it depends on age, overall health, any complications during surgery etc....5 weeks is still fairly early, and so many of us think our progress should be better than what it truly is. If you are concerned or having extreme pain you should contact your GP and ask them to make sure everything is ok, if for nothing else but peace of mind for you. Wishing you well....Barb

• Posted

hi noplaybarbie,i am 52,no other health issues and norm walk everywhere,no probs with op,surgeon said it was a breeze only took 45mins!! Think thats why i expected a quicker recovery....thanx 4 ur support much appreciated xx
  • Posted

hi pauline, 

wonderful comments and I ditto the responses - 

it is frustrating sometimes as our expectations somehow are not met - we hit the darrn plateau, or so it seems - 

I has a rollator, trolley or 4 wheeled walker instead of crutches since I live alone as they (home health care - no OT here ) thought it would minimize the chances of me falling - maybe you can get one of those  - you will be leaning on your arms ... Strange how we feel abandoned - I felt the same - like nobody cares anymore how we struggle - there is no cast or bandages or anything visible and a friend who just had a cold got way more sympathy then me cry -

you are doing great - and come here anytime - we care 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Oh Renée - just want to wrap you up in a great big old hug! You are such a lovely and generous person that it truly is impossible to understand that you are not surrounded by a loving network in the Netherlands.

Where exactly do you live - Amsterdam?

I had one business trip to The Hague (quite lovely); and Amsterdam was wonderful. But a day spent at Hogue Veluwe (sp?) was truly the highlight.

Big hugs and write back anytime you need another one.

Xox

L

• Posted

Thanx renee,i agree folk dont realise how big the op is,it seems 2 b "well,u have new hip now,so u must b fine" Grrrr thats why this forum is a much needed lifeline!!!! Xx

• Posted

Isn't that the truth Pauline?! I am 10 weeks post op from rthr and going in on the 12th for my lthr....I keep hearing and being told "soon as you get your other hip fixed you will be good as new" etc...or something similar...A lot of people don't understand what a long road the recovery is. xx Barb

• Posted

Wow! Thats quick 4 2nd op,i also nd rthr,but i'm putting it off 4 as long as poss,yours must b pretty bad if they r doing it soon aft 1st op. Good luck,keep us posted on ur progress xx

• Posted

I know, right ?  and when you had 2 THR surgeries you really should be fine --- not conducive to feeling good about oneself when you are still trying to balance your body when getting out of the chair or pause before taking first step , or a wobble when walking ....rolleyes

• Posted

Holland is lovely Linda ... I live in the east part of Holland (Drenthe) in a Bungalow Park - Originally I grew up under the smoke of Amsterdam, then moved to Los Angeles and lived there for 34 years !!! Returned to Holland 2 years ago( WHY??) and because things didn;t work in my hometown , I took an invitation to spend a week with my ex sister-in-law - and never left --- 

if I could I would move back to L.A. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.