6 days after hip replacement -really stiff and sore is this normal

Posted , 22 users are following.

Feeling quite low such hard walk doing everything I have been told to. Sleeping is a nightmare is this normal??

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Barbara,

It's absolutely normal.  Of course you're sore, you've had a big operation, and the stiffness will last a little while although it won't always be painful.  Sleeping, yes a universal nightmare for all of us. 

Get these two weeks behind you, they're the worst and I'm sure you'll be seeing a difference.

Hugs,

Cels Xx

• Posted

Good morning Barbara, 

Warm welcome to our hippies forum where we share our personal stories and experiences - we have been there, done that, are about to, or still on the fence, so to speak - and we are an international bunch as well - good company to have while you are on the road of recovery -

Like Cels mentions here: it is absolutely normal - surgery was major and not merely a procedure -

please refer to :

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

scroll down and wyou will find a Laymans guide , created by our valued member graham, aka  Rocketman - 

of course you are very welcome to come back here with any question or concern you might have - 

you are so early in recovery, so please be gentle with yourself 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Barbara as Cels said it's normal. No one tells us about this it was a very low time for me the 1st 2 weeks and then things improve.

Sleeping I'm assuming on your back is pants. Try using pillows to elevate your heels of the bed and to raise you up abit like a hospital bed. I found that helped. Also tell yourself you are resting and if you sleep it's a bonus. This worked for me as I was unable to relax in bed worried about not sleeping. Catch up through the day when you can.

On a positive note it does get better you will soon feel the benefits of your new hip and your life will improve .

I'm 6 weeks post op now and pain free 1st time in years.

Best wishes on your recovery.

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Barbara 

It seems as if this is normal.  Everyone including doctors kept telling me it's too soon to tell.  You will keep having these feelings it always seems it's one step forward two steps back.  Keep your head up and keep thinking at least the hip pain has gone.

Brenda X 

• Posted

Babara, you get days when you just want to cry, scream swear chuck things, I remeber I wanted to put a pair of boots on, and couldnt first the anger - boots went flying over the other side of the room, then the tears.  Its lack of sleep, the whole operation read what they do, you wonder how you will ever recover, its all part of this roller coaster ride, next week it will be better.

Suexxx

• Posted

Hi.....yes sleep is a nightmare. I used ice every night . I'm a stomach sleeper and was told stay on my back. Some people use a recliner and lots of pillows. Take you pain meds when necessary. I'm 5 weeks out and it does get easier....
    • Posted

Catherine, I hope this isn't a silly question, but where do you apply the ice? Right on top of the incision? (Stitches)
    • Posted

Wherever it hurts, incision etc...make small bags of ice so you have them at all times..I wrapped it in a pillowcase.
    • Posted

Frozen peas are the best, they mold to you. Put them in another bag,  you are never going to eat them. wrap them in a teatowel or handtowel for application purposes, you do not want freezer burn on your skin.
  • Posted

Hello Barbara,

Yes, sleep is a nightmare at that point and the pain is normal. There will be good days and bad days and periods of depression. Hang in there. It will get better.

• Posted

Hi Barbara,

'Welcome' doesn't seem adequate when you are deep in the tgroes of the first 10 days. But ... I hope you do fel wlcomed by members of our fabulous community.

The first two weeks are just plain tough - no way around it it seems. But then it is a very invasive procedure that affects not just the hip but all sounding soft and connecting tissues. So you get the pain from the incision, bone, nerves, etc that are all 'irritated' by the surgery and 'gentle' manipulation of your joint to uncouple and then 'reassemble' it. Silly me, but I simply didn't dwell on the specifics of the procedure and to be fair, my surgeon didn't go into great detail either. And, I somehow could not bring myself to take advantage of the videos available showing 'highlights' of the operation that are available in various resources.

You have already gotten lots of excellent advice - I hope it helps you.

You asked about where to put the ice pack - look for the most swelling but avoid the actual incision as the scar tissue is at more risk and be careful to respect the 10 min on 20 min off rule (don't want to complicate your recovery).

Graham (aka Rocketman) has assembled great resources (see link on first page of this forum) and summarized advice for most frequent Qs and As. He also gives a very useful timeline for symptoms during an average recovery.

Many contributors helped reassure me during this phase with help re sleep positions, suggestions for elevating my leg 9I like a pillow lengthwise under my leg and a small cushion under the pillow at the toes to elevate it further). Just remember that there is a balancing act once you start sitting or standing for any length of time as the swelling will pool to the lowest point and your ankle and foor will get quite swollen (a good place for ice packs).

And, sleeping is really a challenge - music helped me (plugged in my favourite pieces) and so did this forum. Luckily, members come from several continents so someone is usually on line to help or simply to chat. It sure helps when you are feeling alone and staring at the ceiling quietly going mad!

But ... this stage IS the worst. Keep doing whatever exercises you may have been given - it helps quieten the nerves and muscle cramps and helps get you stronger reawakening the connective tissues affected by the surgery. Even gentle toe stretches help and one member developed a practice of tapping her foot before getting in motion - helps trigger muscles for movement (there is a whole thread on this somewhere - look for thumper in the descussion headings I think.

Good luck. I am at 10 weeks and I will have my second hip done late this summer. My husband and I are far more confident about this now that we both know what to expect of the process and how to manage the worst of it.

I hope this forum helps you - don't be shy of asking for help or just an ear when you may need to vent.

Regards,

Linda

• Posted

Short reply: it is very normal. Relax. Each week will get easier and better. Do your therapy and walk. Walk
  • Posted

Hi Barbara,

It's normal, a very emotional, uncomfortable time but it will get better, just does not seem like it early on. I have got used to back sleeping, in fact find it quite comfortable, except when my body want's to wake my muscles up, I get spasms, NOT everyone get's these. I sleep with a pillow under my calves to keep my heels off the bed because of pressure sores. I'm 10 weeks.

• Posted

When i used the pillow under my calves to ease the pressure sores I woke with severe pain in my hips. I then tried something else I had read on this forum, I purchased a sheepskin rug and put that under my feet, I have not had problems with sore heels since.
    • Posted

Oooh, not good, the last thing you need is severe pain in the hips.

My pillow is fairly flat though, so maybe that keeps my body flatter. I have heard about sheepskin too,it has to be natural doesn't it? At the time I couldn't get one and then forgot about it. Thank you Dennis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.