6 days post TKR = HELL

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I'm the 32 year old who had right TKR last week, it went great and recovery has been going good.

On day 1 I was walking well, physio even had me up and down stairs!!!

Been home a few days now and the bruising and swelling is here, it's totally restricted my bending and movement, my quad is rock hard and very painful.

What's the best way for quickly passing this to get my bend back on track?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I feel so bad for you.  I know just how you feel.  I'm almost 8 weeks out from surgery and can honestly say those first 2-3 weeks were pretty rough.  I honestly questioned why I did this.  Assuming you have daily physical therapy, they will know if something looks unusual and needs further attention. It all sounds pretty normal, especially being the first week out.  It's an invasive surgery with impact to nerves, bone and muscle.  Keep doing those exercises, as much as you can, even through the tears. Don't miss your pain meds and ask lots of questions. I can honestly say, this week has been a total turn for the better for me.  And I had serious doubts just 4 weeks ago.  Hang in there...good luck.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 2 weeks out from TKR and I'm really suffering with stiff, rock hard quads. I'm finding that the only thing that eases it is to massage. All over the quad itself, back of the knee and down the calf. I use either Tiger Balm or Arnica Massage balm (which is more of an oil), although I guess any massage oil would do. Does it hurt? Yep, like the Devil. But it does work the stiffness out. And the best exercise I do for bend improvement, I put my TKR leg on either the 1st or 2nd step.of my staircase, and really lean into it. By doing this I've gone from 85 degrees to 90 just since Monday.

It's so frustrating isn't it, having such good results at the beginning, only to get thwarted further on........

Oh yea, and I really rate Arnica cream for bringing out the bruising - mines all but disappeared, apart from a couple of bits that I missed with the cream.

• Posted

Compression (anti embolism stockings) really help. Feet raised above the heart and foot pumps to increase circulation which takes the extra fluid away. Hope this helps, think good thoughts and you'll be up dancing in no time.
  • Posted

Hi....sounds like you are doing well, ..

Ice Ice and more Ice, every 20 minutes on 20 minutes off and elevate your whole leg

• Posted

Hi,

In my case, I am in week10 post op, my knee was swollen and very tight above my knee cap area a few days after the op and remained so for about a week or so. I think what you should do is take it easy and do gentle flexes don't force the knee to do what at this moment it can't. Gently stretch and flex dont over do it. You have just gone through a major op your body and knee have now got to get used to having foreign objects where once there was your own bone. I was able to do the all important 90degree flex in week 3 with the help of an exercise bike. You will feel tired again your body needs rest. My advice is donot rush things, all will be well. Oh, use ice packs round the swelling for about 20 minutes a go. I am 68 and very fit but the operation was still more of a shock to my system than I anticipated. If you want more details re your op have a look on YouTube. It's not pleasant viewing.

Good luck

Blee83

• Posted

Wow, you're so young for this!  All the docs kept telling me I was too young to have a replacement so I suffered until I'm now 58 and just having it done.

I just had my right knee done 8 weeks ago and my left knee will be done on Dec. 17th.  My surgeon is a stickler for being on a walker for 6 weeks!  No crutches, no canes, strictly walker.  Only 50% weight on the surgery knee for 6 weeks.  He says he treats it like a broken bone because it is!  As hard as it was, I did what he said and at 8 weeks, I'm really doing good.  

Don't rush it!  Let it heal.  Keep up the exercises and the bend will come.  I had my doubts at first!  I think the best thing I have done to get my bend back is using my stationary bike.  I still have a lot of stiffness around the knee.  Not unusual to feel like you're tearing something inside.  I keep hearing that this is normal and lasts a long time.

Good luck to you and hang in there!

• Posted

Hi guys, I'm now 11 days post TKR and I'm getting another few degrees of bend but nothing to get excited about, I feel I should have been able to bend a lot more by now, I know it's early days but I was doing so well last week and this rock hard muscle above knee is really holding me back.

I exercise every hour, quads get a good work out, I Ice for 20 mins every hour, I massage every couple of hours. Will this rock hard muscle go on its own or will scar tissue replace this which may also restrict movement?

• Posted

It will loosen up.  Each week you'll see improvement.  Keep exercising!
  • Posted

Simply put, the quickest way is Don't be in a hurry!  Think Major Surgery - they really hurt you.  And, the knee is one (I think the most) complicated joint you have.  I don't know how much ROM you are starting with.  I used a measured slide board to maintain steady, but NO pain, improvement.  7 days out and it was 115 usable and 125 passive (I don't really worry about extension  --if it's close tostraight, I'm happy.))  

I also use a system by Michelle Stiles, PTMS  -- the TRACK system as an add-in.  Allows slow, measured, progress and encourages SAFE progression.

You are young for a TKR (I'm 70) and might tend to get in a rush.  Don't!  

Swelling usually starts to noticeably go down after about a week.   Can take months --more-- to be gone I hear.  So far, swelling is waay down from week one.  Pain is intermittent.  Bruising is diminishing rapidly.   But, there is still swelling around the knee, pain that is easily managed.  

Elevate, Ice, Movement.  Slow, steady progress.

Good luck, youngster!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.