6 week check today

Posted , 8 users are following.

Well i went for my 6 week check today.

Been told im healing well but still have to use atleast one crutch at all time so no full weight baring. Still not allowed to bend but other than that I can do as I please.

Had my first bath tonight and it was literalling the best feeling ever.

Im going to go to the local swimming baths on Friday with my fiance. Not going to swim per say but i am going to try water walking and maybe gice a little swim a go. For the first time in my adult life I finally have adult muscles after the doctor lengthened them for me so have a lot of physio and exercise to get in to strengthen then. Im now awaiting a letter to attend physio aswell.

I did mention that the feeling hasnt came back in my left leg properly (operated one) it feels like i have pins and needles and im dragging a tooth pick over the skin whenever i touch it or anything. It is literal torture to feel it. Anyone else have this problem?

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sarah, I'm so happy for all the positives - bath, the prospect of being in a swimming pool - and hopeful that the sensitivity will lessen & physical therapy helps.

Best to you on your exam results, too.

Aloha, Soos

• Posted

Thankyou.

Its annoying me because my right leg feels completely fine now but the leg feom my ankle up to my knee feels so awful to touch haha

• Posted

Sarah, I wish I knew more, but perhaps someone else here experienced this. I'll be watching you here, so as Japanese say, "Ganbatte!" - fight on!
  • Posted

Sounds a little like mild nerve damage which usually heals by itself but can take a while to go completely. Had something similar in my arm from a completely different procedure and it took a few weeks to improve but a few months to disappear. 

Hope you get a good physio ptherapist and enjoy your visit to the swimming pool. Has been a lifesaver for me doing hydro exercises in the pool, like walking forwards, backwards and sideways and Aldo cycling (with a float holding up your hips so you don't sink) and some very gentle front crawl (been told not to do breaststroke) and then a lovely shower after. Bliss!

• Posted

I hope it goes because iv got quite bad berve damage in my knee that i have had since my surgery before this. I literally freak out if anyone touches my knee because i hate the feeling and i dont want it to be the same with my whole leg haha.

Yes i think being in the pool will be an excellent way to build muscles up. I cant wait

• Posted

That's great news Sarah, it sounds like you're doing really well. Did your surgeon say anything about your leg going out to the side ?

I'd love to have a bath but scared of getting stuck in it, how did you get out ?

• Posted

No he didnt. He didnt really answer many of my questions.

Seemed to be in a rush to get out of the room.

I literally just pushed myself up with my arns till i could put all my weight on right let to ait on the side of bath then lifted my legs out. Took seconds haha

• Posted

I'm still on 1 crutch because of the leg length difference so yesterday I put my trainer on my shorter leg & left my op leg foot bare and I could walk without a crutch and with no strain pain on op hip. Have you tried doing that? It was pure bliss to walk around with no crutch and no hip pain.

Good plan with the bath, I'm scared because my hubby said "well if you get stuck we'll have to call the fire brigade out" 😱😂

• Posted

Im not supposed to full weightbare yet. Atill only allowed parcial haha. Managed to walk to the end of my street with on crutch but got tired so went back to two sticks. Currently sat in the swimming baths waiting for the Nr to bring my stuff as its quite and want to give it a go haha. Nervous though.

Glad you have found a way to walk without pain though. Thats fantastic

Haha my dad said the same thing but it was a lot easier than i expected and it was pure bliss x

• Posted

Sarah so glad your feeling better, isn't the first bath wonderful? stay positive love, it will all sort itself out smile

Love Gillxxx

• Posted

Yr'll enjoy that Sarah, I bet it's lovely to walk around the pool weightless.
    • Posted

Haha im nervous now because my pre op letter has came for my collar bone syrgery. Its on the 7th of june. Bit worrying if the surgery is going to be soon.

Yes the first bath was amazing. I was in for 45 mins xxx

• Posted

I managed to do 4 laps and my hip exercises in the pool.

Walking there and back was the hardest though.

Im shattered now though and iv got to sit through 4 hours of maths which i really struggle with after 10 minutes because of the pain xx

• Posted

4 laps!! You did amazing!

I've got my pre-op on Friday for my next surgery! We both had our hips done at the same time, wouldn't it be weird if our next ops are at the same time! I know what you mean about having surgery so soon though. Have you got a date yet? Mine is 28th June.

How will you manage to sit for 4 hours!! Can you keep getting up & having a walk?

Ive just had a bath! Omg it was amazing. It was you that gave me the final push to go for it so thank you Sarah.

• Posted

Its odd how i do better in the pool then i do walking.

Hahaa will be spooky. My next surgery is on my right collar bone which will effect me using my crutch to walk as im only partical weightbare which makes me nervous because i have to use my crutch on the right side.

Yeah i am allowed to get up in class whenever i need to but i get paranoid about doing it because i hate people looking at me haha.

Aw glad you had a lovely bath. How did you find getting in and out? Xx

• Posted

Oh no, I see what you mean. Surely they won't do yr collarbone until you have fully recovered? How would it even be possible?

Will it be the same surgeon?

I know you don't like people looking at you 😟 you just have to do what's best for you and what makes it easier to get through.

Getting out of the bath was easy, I built it up in my head way too much! I've been thinking about having one for days now! You gave me the final push. It was heaven. X

• Posted

I dont really have a choice. Ill have to get it done when i can and becareful i suppose.

No this one works specifically on shoulders and my hip doc works specifically on hips haha.

Aww glad your bath was good. But it is scary the first time xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.