6 weeks after Tkr

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm just wondering how the progress should be after 6 weeks Tkr. I'm still waiting to get more sleep at night. My knee still feels really stiff,hot & "burning". Which doesn't encourage me to go out much as when I do symptoms are worse, am I being too impatient? Would love to hear others experiences . Thanks

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Unfortunately you are being too impatient Eileen.  I am now just over 10 weeks and it does get better but progress is slow.  I felt very despondent but read posts here, especially Chico's and it helped me keep going.  The hot burning feeling is now much better than it was at 6 weeks.  The stiffness goes on for quite some time but we will get there, just taking a lot longer than any of us would wish.  Hang on in there it will get better, x

• Posted

Aww, thank you for encouragement Lmnda its just I guess I am impatient, so long as I know it's 'early days' I feel better. It's just that some folk on Chico so age seems to be better, I guess they're younger than 78. I don't know. In theory we're told driving is possible at 6 weeks but I'm not ready . Thanks for reply , take care x

• Posted

Hi Eileen

You must accept that you are in this for the long haul... so yes, you are being too impatient.  My left TKR was done on 21/01/2016 and right TKR on 11/08/2016,so roughly 13 and 6 months respectively and it takes time.  I am pleased with recovery overall but we experienced a cold, damp spell last week and suddenly I had two 'log legs' again! Take care and good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Thanks Meraai, yes am afraid I am a bit impatient. Unlike lots of folk with the dreaded arthritis my problem was an injury & I wasn't in agony for years & not use to struggling. I certainly will take care as the surgery is amazing. Thanks for text . Best wishes x

• Posted

6 weeks today for me and I still have not been able to sleep in my bed.. knee is still hot to the touch and of course stiff.. Am out of PT but doing my exercises at homes daily.. Trying to get back to normal life if nearly impossible for me.. I am exhausted all the time and a few hours up and about just do me in.. I know everyone says be patient,but before this was done the  Dr said  give it 4-6 weeks and you will be as good as new!     
    • Posted

Sounds to me as if your doctor didn't have a knee replacement wink  I also had severe fatigue and just felt that I wasn't able to 'catch up'.  Turned out that I had a low blood count and was prescribed iron for some time and vit B12 and B complex injections every second week. I started to feel more like my old self by 12 weeks post-op.  Maybe you could have some blood work done and see if there is something amiss.  Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Bak, took me longer than six weeks....closer to 5 months, but we are all different.  Rest when you feel tired.....your body heals when resting....keep doing exercises.  At six weeks being up for a few hours was all I could do also.  1 yr now....it gets better with time.

😄 Pam

• Posted

What an idiot doctor!  Obviously, he has never had a TKR . . 

• Posted

Thanks Bak , in my ignorance that's what I thought, I didn't know that anything could be this bad , I'm in the same boat as you . We have to keep positive rest & do the exercises. We're not alone , sorry for others too but it's comforting to know it's normal . Can only get better xx

• Posted

Eileen,

six weeks is very early.  I am now 1 yr post TKR.  Doc told me 12 months for body to own this metal and 18 months to totally heal.  Everyone is different....reason for surgery, waiting time prior, age,...etc all play factors.

time will heal all.  You have to keep doing what your body allows and do your exercises and stretches.  Rest when you can but push too.  It does get better.

good luck in your recovery,

pam

• Posted

Dear Eileen,

As you have seen other people coments, its very true 6 weeks are to early to be impaitent, I had for four months sleepless nights after by Bilateral TKR. Excercise and iceing will help you. Iceing do not do for longer duration, at a time not more then 30 min. If required then increase the frequency

Do not over exert your knee.

• Posted

Yes I'm learning now that 6 weeks is early days. Ithougjt once I could leave the stockings off I'd be out & about almost there. I know otherwise now so will definitely take care x

• Posted

I guess it depends on the individual. I am 10 months post TKR and I am always in pain. Not trying to discourage you. But there are some folks that are doing wonderful that had the same surgeon that I had. Just keep doing what you you need to do and my prayers are for you to have a speedy recovery.
  • Posted

Eileen it has been 12 weeks and i am just beginning to sleep i still have pain so it is different for every one mp pt told me not to compare myself to others because there are people who had their surgerys since me and they were able to do exercises that i could not. So be patience good days will come. I hope this helps a little

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.