6 weeks into citalopram and now feeling like my old symptoms are back

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everybody...wonder if anyone has any advice for me please. Started on citalopram 6 weeks and 2 days ago..felt an instant relief in the first few hours of taking my first 10mg tablet. 5 days later felt the old symptoms coming back...unbearable head ache...wanting to sleep all the time..agitated...feeling sick and frightened...rang my doctors and he told me to double my dose to 20mg instead of the 10mg. Worked a treat! Had no side effects at all what so ever over the last 6 weeks! Woke up yesterday and didn't feel right again...felt disoriented...anxious...spaced out! Feel the same again today!! I am thinking should I up my tablet to 30mg..or reduce it back to the 10mg. Or jus stick to my 20mg and hope it will pass! Gutted I am getting my old symptoms back after doing so well over the past 6 weeks. Hope someone has been through the same and can give me some advise please x

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Could also just be a "blip" as they say, the story I've always gotten with anxiety is that it never goes away good times for a bit then a hit of anxiousness for a small time but it'll pass changing doses for only two days of bad after weeks of good seems to only be asking for side effects as you've been so lucky up to this point I'd say give it another day or two then if it's still bad up the dose or reduce whatever you and your dr feel comfortable with

• Posted

Hi 33cody...and thankyou for your reply! Ye...I'm going to take your advice and stick with the 20mg for a few more days! I'm thinking maybe in my subconscious I'm getting all worked up because today should be my mums birthday and she passed away last year..and I'm also wondering if your hormones also affect the medication as I am also due on my lady monthly! So I'm gunna hope it's a blip and work through it! If not...I'll give my GP a ring and see what he says...thanks huni...sometimes it just helps to feel like you are not alone in this battle x

• Posted

Strangely I posted similar yesterday as after six months of being on 10 mg I have had a blip myself

. However today I have felt better again. So obviously am hoping this lasts. Hope you find the same.

• Posted

Thanks Lesley 78762...I'm hoping this is just a blip also and I'm gunna try and work through it on the 20mg...I'm going to give it a few days and see how I feel then! Today I feel a little anxious...but today should be my mums birthday...she passed away last year...and my girly monthly is due...maybe a combination has set me off again!! I feel a little gittery and on edge...I'm gunna have a hot bath and try and calm myself down!! Thankyou for your response...it's good to feel you are not alone x

• Posted

I have been on 20mg citalopram for anxiety and depression for just over four months now. The first day I felt like I was on "drugs" followed by the worst couple of weeks of my life with the side effects. Then gradually, I became better, I felt better, and I could take each day and be "normal." I have had a few blips that have lasted a day or two but for the past two weeks, my anxiety had been back big time. I usually take my meds in the morning but I was tired during the day so the doc suggested taking them at night. This is about the time I started feeling ill again. My anxiety was so bad - the inside of my mouth was completely shredded with me clenching my teeth, my body aches so much with being so tense, my palpitations came back, I couldn't sleep and when I could, I couldn't sleep for more than 2 hours and my mind started to go a million miles an hour again. I also have no energy and completely exhausted all the time. That was only after 3 nights of taking my meds So I went back to taking them in the morning. I'm still exhausted but the other effects have subsided. This big blip could also be due to the change in seasons. So what I'm trying to say is, you're not alone. I would keep taking the 20mg for a bit longer and if you're still having bad side effects go to the doctor. I was all ready to get a sick line from the doctors to take time off work but I gave it a week and I was actually laughing and joking at work the other day. That's when I thought, I can beat this. Hope my story helps!

• Posted

Thankyou fairydust777 and your story does help Luvy...sometimes it's just soothing to feel you are not alone in this battle!! I don't feel as bad today so far...although I haven't been awake long...my life is run like a millatary operation with alarm clocks and rotas so I switched off my alarm clock last night and slept till I woke...that was 10 hours sleep I have just had 😳 I feel a little shakey but I don't feel as disorientated as I have done the last 2 days...so fingers crossed! I'm hoping it's just been a blip and I start getting back on top of it again after today! Today is my mums birthday...that I lost last year...so although I think to myself I have accepted my mum passing away...I'll never accept it!! I'm also due on my girly monthly...so maybe that hasn't helped either! Thankyou for yur support and advice huni x

• Posted

I am a bit the same - alarms and schedules and routines - mostly ones I put on myself. I bet that long sleep you had has actually down you the world of good. You body will be exhausted with the side effects you feel and if you're like me, it will make you physically hurt ie sore tense muscles. I never really understood how "blips" could happen when on meds but they are real and can be scary if you have no one to talk to. As one of the other posts said to you, keep taking them same time of day and don't think about it when you take it. I used to but because it's part of my morning routine now, I don't think about it.

I am sorry to hear about your mum. Today mustn't have been easy for you. I haven't been through losing anyone close to me yet but I think it's something you will never accept. I hope you managed to do something to take your mind off it. Haha, yeh, Aunt Flo isn't going to help erratic thoughts either.

I searched for a thread about blips and I'm so glad I came across yours.

• Posted

Sorry Claire I dont think you will find any definite answers anywhere for this kind of situation.

I will say this though...take your meds at the same time every day, dont give it much thought, just take them and try to get on with your life.

Thinking and wondering about whether or not an ssri med is working will drive you nuts.

Just know this...there is definite evidence now that explains that ssris have neuroregenerative properties...they make your brain greater plasicity...so remember to do your part too...new experiences, changes in thought patterns, cbt and new experiences thats what you should focus on.

It can take a while, so just take the meds, gradually increase it under profesdional supervision and be patient.

Thats about it.

• Posted

Hi guys...still don't feel right!! 6 days in now of feeling like I'm on a different planet!! And the headaches have started again!! I don't feel as bad as I didn't before I started the cit but deffo don't feel as good as I have done for the last 6 weeks!! It's somewhat confusing as to why I've only just started feeling like this...when everyone else seems to feel awful when they first take them!! Not 6 weeks in!! But like David said...I'll drive myself mad keep thinking for answers!! I guess it doesn't help the fact that I work 2 jobs...and 1 of them jobs is working night shifts...then I have a job doing days!! Maybe I'm just exhausted and that's why i feel so dizzy and disorientated!! 😩

• Posted

Quick update...so I lasted a week trying to work through the confusion and disorientation...and finally rang my GP for advice!! I went in to see him the same day (I do think a sympathetic doctor is a god send) and he agreed to up my dose to 30mg! It's very bizzare how after just a few hours my confusion and feeling like I'm on a different planet just disappeared!! I'm now on day 5 of my increased dose...and although I have a banging head ache and I have gone from sleeping like a baby to being lucky if I sleep for 3 hours...I feel back to normal...I'm hoping the headache and insomnia will subside with time...as I've never had these side effects before! Hope everybody else is good too 🙏🏼

• Posted

I am new to this whole forum thing and I am only posting, because I haven't found any discussion leading to how I am feeling.

I started Celexa almost 6 weeks ago. One week 10mg and I have been on 20mg since. After I had my period three weeks in, the following week I felt like a million bucks. This week, I am experiencing insane heartburn, stomach pain, cramps and nausea. I can eat if I need to, but at the the same time, the thought of food makes me nauseous. Just wondering, is it normal to feel like this? I know it takes time to fully be in my system, but the less I have to worry about the more I will start to feel better

• Posted

Hi Kayleigh,

Just wondering if you are feeling better now? Hope you are!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.