6 weeks of constant headaches - no relief / going crazy

Posted , 43 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm after some possible insight / advice on what I'm currently going through. I will go through as many symptoms as possible, although I'm aware some might be from something different entirely. I started getting a heavy pressure at the back of my head around 6/7 weeks ago, was primarily at the back and kind of felt like my head had a big weight hanging from the back and someone was pushing hard against my skull from the inside. In the next few days this was accompanied by very frequent and fairly severe headaches. These have now been part of my life for the past 6 weeks. The headaches and pains I get differentiate. Mostly it's a dull throbbing at the back of my head. But recently quite often I get what I can only explain as a very sore burning pain on a small area of my forehead and sides of head. I get pains on both sides although i would probably crown the right side for most pain caused. I do get dizzy when I stand up from a relaxed position and have noticed that my face goes red a lot now, as if I've stepped indoors from cold to boiling. I have no energy to do any exercise and feel constantly fatigued and tired. My sleep isn't great as I wake up a lot through the night (may I add that it's not the headaches that wake me up, they seem non existent as I sleep and for the first half hour in the morning when I awake. But from then on its relentless. Painkillers do jack squat, even co-codomol doesn't touch it when that used to be my saving grace whenever I got a bad head. This is much different to headaches I have had before. Last think as well. I went to watch my football team play today and tried to do a warm up with them. Since then my head ache is worse and my brow and temples feel bruised and tender to touch.

I apologise for the length of this but i didn't want to leave much out. I hope someone is able to helps with this as it's wearing me out now... Physically and mentally. Got an MRI on weds but I know results can take a while. Was just hoping for some feedback before hand.

Thanks for reading. Take care all.

Richard

2 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can't be of much help but this sounds exactly like what I'm going through (I posted here about a week ago), could you keep us updated on the MRI scan and any possible causes? I'm back off to my GP on Monday to ask for an MRI as all they keep telling me is migraines, I hope you get it all sorted.
  • Posted

Of course, I'm hoping results don't take too long but I'm anticipating 2 weeks minimum. Did anyone reply to your post? Hope someone managed to shed some light onto it. Obviously we are both anxious of something bad going on. But I'm not naive to the amount of more simple possibilities. I also know what your going through as at first my doctor put it down to tension head aches. I insisted these were no tension headaches but they prescribed me with more tablets that did no help. They knew they had to check all possibilities with an MRI for me however as my dad had a stroke and my mum had a 'benign' brain Tumor removed. I'm only 28 though so hoping it can't be that. And even if it's in your family if you read up on that sort of think its actually quite rare. How long have you been suffering with these similar symptoms? I sincerely hope they begin to improve for you.

Thank you so much for reading my post and replying.

Richard

• Posted

Hello! Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone, I've been having the same problem as well. My symptoms started since February and at the beginning of my symptoms, they were also accompanied by tingling and numbness on my head and face. That went away after a few weeks but now I'm left with the same tension headaches and can I add that recently I also have a clicking at the back of my head. I also have sleep problems where I wake up several times at night. The doctor just kept prescribing pain killers for the tension headaches and sleeping pills for the insomnia, although I feel like the insomnia may be caused due to the sympwand not so much as having insomnia. I have another appointment in two weeks and hoping for an MRI to get done on me. I can also suggest that if your MRI results are normal and clear that maybe a chiropractor might help out as it could also be due to some nerves and muscles can be pushing your spinal fluid back in the neck and causing you to have those terrible tension headaches and dizziness. It could be another possibility. Hoping for the best for you as we tend to think the worst in these situations. If you could please update us on your situation as well, it would be of great insight, thank you.
    • Posted

Hi wondering if u still get ur headaches ? I've got the same thing looking for answers thanks

• Posted

Last year I had bad headaches and other symptoms.  My neurologist said I had sensitisation
  • Posted

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you it's been a bit of a crazy week. I had the MRI on Wednesday. Took about 20 mins. Results can take upto 2 weeks but hopefully will only take half that. I will absolutely let you know the outcome. Hopefully it will put my and possibly your mind at ease a little if it shows something insignificant.

I will most definitely take your advice Yoshter if nothing shows on scan to see a chiropractor or physician of some sort. You could be spot on with your analysis. If you haven't had an MRI before and wondered what it was like feel free to ask. I hope you are all feeling better and get to the bottom of this very soon.

Take care and try to have a great weekend!

Ric

• Posted

Yes definitely let us know-we will all be thinking about you.

I've had terrible headaches for 2/3 years, so I know what your going through.

Thinking of you.

• Posted

I am curious to see if the MRI gave you any answers. I am experiencing the exact same symptoms including the lack of sleep. I feel like I am going crazy and need some answers. Sinuses and a herniated disc have been ruled out as the culprit. I hope you are experiencing some relief since you posted this 4 months ago. 
  • Posted

Did you have any results back Richard?

I have had the exact same problem for 2 weeks with not other symtoms,doctor gave me Naproxen and it did nothing.

The headaches left me but I've been left with a horrible pain in my head that won't leave me and it's stopping me from doing my usual things and I have my 2 year old son to look after. It just won't go 

• Posted

You should have them check your mri for a chiari malformation.  I have the same exact symptoms as you, and was just recently diagnosed.  I went years with the symptoms until someone finally saw it on the mri.  It is a rare condition, that you can have your whole life, but something causes it to become symptomatic.  That's when the headaches begin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.