6cm cyst so very very scared!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a scan when I got pregnant that during scan found a 5cm cyst on my left ovary. I ended up having a miscarriage after 2 other scans no baby showing but the miscarriage took ages I waited from beginning of Aug till end of sept to actually have the miscarriage. Anyhow I started having a reg period after about 6 weeks and another a month later then I'm pretty sure recently I had another period after just 3 weeks of the last so concerned I went to docs for a scan that found the left ovary cyst was still there and now 6cm. I had that scan on Friday and was told everything else looks healthy and fine but that she'll send the scan details to my doctor to see if I should see a gynaecologist and I've now convinced myself I have cancer! I've never felt so scared in my life! I'm 34 and have 2 boys I asked the dr should I be worried it's cancer and she said oh no nothing like that so does that mean I shouldn't worry if so why am I seeing a gynaecologist? Please help I'm so scared!? Xx

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I know it is easy to say, but worrying is not going to make it any better. My doctor 'red flagged' me when a routine scan showed 'shadows/cysts'. That was about three years ago. At first I panicked, but further investigation showed cystis and fibroids that seem to be resolving themselves.

They continue to monitor them and at my last visit, last week, the cysts were down to 1.4 and 1.8 cm.

Have you had a CA125 blood test? That and another couple of tests are protein markers for cancer. I'd ask for one if they have not yet discussed it. That might help put your mind at ease.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, atm I literally just had the scan on Friday and today is Sunday so I'm waiting for doctors to be open so I can ask more questions I don't know what kind of cyst it is or anything really which is making me crazy with worry and I'm normally cool about these things but have this cancer thought in my head and feel like I'm going out of my mind! Thank you for your reply and advice I'm going to ask about the ca125 test xx

• Posted

Please don't worry, its's highly unlikely to be cancer.

You will maybe see a gynaecologist to see what he wants to do. Usually the monitor and rescan every three months, and see if it goes. believe me, if anything serious was suspected, they won't leave it long.

I had an ovarian cyst removed last April, it was a simple cyst, just fluid filled, they are very common, and can disappear or they can be with you for life.

I only had mine removed as I was having surgery anyway so asked him to remove it while I was under.

They will probably just leave yours and see what happens.x.

• Posted

Oh thank you so much for your reply! It really has helped and I've stopped googling stuff as it's making me crazy, thank you it means a lot xx

• Posted

I was diagnosed November after pain down my leg and had a uti so had a scan in October. I'm still waiting to see my gynaecologist but I know mine is still there and I believe it's grown as I feel it in your bladder and I'm having issues with my bowels. I've also had irregular periods since I've had my cyst. I'm sick and tired of the pain but I totally understand how you feel.

• Posted

hi. I partly understand how you feel. I am sorry, I am male, my wife is 24 and was informed that she got a 4.3 cm cyst on her left ovary from recent ultrasound this week.

She got negative pregnancy test, her Ca 125 turn 11. Our obgyn called me and said not to worry but still we are restless since we still waiting for next appointment.

We are currently living in south korea for my grad school. I may cancel my upcoming PhD degree next spring if it need surgerical removed, since I dont have any money to perform such thing here.

sad

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your wife, but the good news you should concentrate on is the CA125 number. 11 is very low. I have been told they only start to take note if the number is over 35 and then there is still a way to go before there is cause for concern. Even then there can be good reasons for a 'false positive'

• Posted

Hi. Thank you very much for your concern. May I know what do you mean by false positive? Also is there a high chance for the cyst to turn cancerous? 
    • Posted

The CA125 test is a (protein?) marker for cancer. But there are other reasons for a raised level. I have had endometriosis and that can raise the levels. My CA125 is 27. I go for check-ups every six months. But things seem to be resolving themselves. As for the cyst, it all depends on what sort it is. we ALL have cancer cells in our bodies, but usually a healthy immune system sorts them out before they become a problem. If you have any concerns make sure you ask your wife's consultant to explain things and good luck with your studies.

• Posted

I understand about it a bit now. Thanks for the information. I cross my finger for all of us. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.