6days after anterior and posterior pelvic floor repair

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I'm new to this site,came across it looking for some answers to my recovery,hospital wasn't much help with aftercare and what I needed to be doing.So uncomfortable with feelings of pressure,took movicol to no avail then found glycerol suppository advice which thankfully worked after 5 days of pain and discomfort. Been on 2 short walks but not really sure how much/far I should be walking ,also are there any other exercises that I should be doing 

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Karen I'm 9 weeks post op for a @p repair , my advice is do nothing no walks out only around the house u must rest as much as possible for good recovery, I'm just starting to get bk into a routine hopefully going bk to work in 2 weeks but it's been hard and frustrating, I got a brilliant partner who had to take time off work to do literally everything , ur not spose to lift no more than half kettle water for 6 weeks no hoovering ironing NOTHING, so take advantage of all the help u can get , on leaving i hospital I got some pelvic floor exercises and any other advice I got from here , matron gives sound advice , take it easy
  • Posted

Hi Karen I'm 13wks post op anterior posteria repair .. I went short walks after 2 wks take it in stages don't go to far as you have to get bk I was goin every couple of days but it did make my belly hurt so take it easy ... 6 wks they say of doin nothing and if you have to just do things for yourself eg making coffee a sandwich .. Just do things for yourself no lifting pure rest if you do too much your belly may hurt or you may bleed so enjoy the rest and be patient .. I'm still taking Senna now as have trouble goin without and you mustn't bere down or push coughin sneezing be careful you take care x
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply,I am getting alot of dragging feeling at moment and alot of trapped wind ,is this common. One thing I'm unsure of is my check up,discharge letter says 3 months at outpatients but I thought it was 6 weeks,do I see my GP for this ,I'm assuming pelvic floor exercises will be after 6 weeks
    • Posted

Hi Karen, my post op was back with the consultant 6 weeks after, but reading a lot if these post shows that everyone is different depending on where they had there op, if unsure perhaps try and give you consultants office a ring. I only contacted my GP when I got an infection and to get a new sick note, that takes me up to 10th Jan 14 weeks off in total.

i was told not to start my pelvic floor exercises for 6 weeks. I've since had my post op check and was told all was going well, but still had a row of stitches that have not yet dissolved so to still take things easy and rest.

i did and still suffer a little from trapped wind but that is starting to ease off but still have a swollen stomach.

luckly my husband has taken over much of the housework and I still haven't lifted an iron, hovered or mopped but I have started to do some of the cooking.

• Posted

Thanks for that Kay think I will ring my GP in couple of weeks for advice
    • Posted

I got lots of trapped wind too so don't worry .. The draggin feeling is normal too as I saw my consultant earlier than was ment to as I was worried bout this feeling .. It does feel slightly diff from b4 the opp .. But then what is normal I can't remember as had prolapse for a number of years .. But any worries call your go ask for a call bk ... My follow up opp was for 3 months just over actually and if you feel you need to see go before then do so .. I went swimming 6 wks after very light swimming pelvic floor as in

Pullin in and lettin go shud be straight after surgery but little and often I didn't do this as I forgot they had told me ... I was told by other patients and the nurses on the ward .. Cos I had cathita fitted they said do nothing till its out as it stayed in 2 days ... Hope this helps sorry late reply x

• Posted

Hi Karen, I'm 8 weeks post op for A&P repair and I agree with Joan about doing nothing, you will see after reading a lot of the posts on this site that that is the main advice given and it really is a must, I have spent most of the past 8 weeks lying on the sofa and generally taking things very easy.

i have like most pushed it a bit too far some days and known about later, your body really will tell you when you have done too much.

• Posted

Karen I agree with a lot of the advice you've been given here. Complete rest for the first 2 weeks and no lifting. After that very short walks preferably with someone alongside. You can then gradually mobilise but at the first sign of tiredness it's back on the sofa. If you feel tired and generally out of sorts the next day then you know you've done too much. Listen to your body. If you're in the UK no driving for 6 weeks because most insurance companies won't insure until after that time if you've had pelvic floor surgery even if your consultant says it's ok. No lifting anything heavy for 6 months but a 12 weeks you'll be ok lifting light objects. If you don't feel hungry drink plenty but rest is the most important advice.
    • Posted

My blood loss has been very minimal since my op and I have been able to ditch the pads,but had blood in urine last night and on waking after BM I have bled again quite alot,is this normal,my urine is coloured with blood.
    • Posted

Hi Karen yes this is normal and does happen. It could be that a suture has come adrift. 
    • Posted

I am still bleeding 5 days on,loss varies from day to day,but mainly quite alot,no pain or discomfort or clots and feel well in myself,how long should this go on for or should I be needing to contact Drs to check it out
  • Posted

Hi Karen, I am 4 weeks post op on Thursday. I to had lots of wind and found peppermint tea good. I took 2 movical a day to start and am know down to 1 a day. I have been having lots of rest and doing my Christmas shopping online, reading, knitting and watching tv. I had a bit of cabin fever today and went out for lunch but feet up now. I was a bit uncomfortable sleeping at night as I am used to sleeping on my tummy but the physiotherapist suggested sleeping on my side with a pillow between my legs which really helped. I feel I am doing really well and with this operation patience I think is the key. I found a light travel kettle useful to make drinks and remember to drink lots of water. Good luck in your recovery and remember to take it easy😀
    • Posted

Thanks for that I will get hubby to pick me up some peppermint tea to try.initially used movicol then suppository to finally achieve a result,I stopped taking any after that but think I will start on 2 a day again
  • Posted

Yes I think it would be a good idea to start on Movicol again, the hospital told me to take as much as you need even up to 4 a day as you must not strain. 1 a day is fine for me as I found 2 made be a bit the other way as I was eating lots of fruit and veg. Pears and mango I have been told are good. Hope this helps and don't worry you will find a balance soon. Good luck 👍
  • Posted

Hi Karen, 

I just thought I would write to you as I'm in such a similar position. I am new too, had the Op 7 days ago a/prepair plus hysterectomy .

The general pain has gone now but I have got such problems with pressure, wind, bloating. I've been taking the sachets prescribed,like Movicol  and finally make me go but not enough, just  all this discomfort. So I'm reducing to 1  now.  I think it's trial and error. 

I've been going for short walks too as thought we were meant to but have found it fine and even refreshing.  The consultant just said  do what you like but  be careful when I asked about swimming he said in two weeks!

I've got to go back in 6 weeks  meanwhile how do we get more comfortable. I don't feel ever be right though I know it's such early days but you can't push much and it seems a vicious circle!

• Posted

Know how you feel,I'm drinking plenty of water and peppermint tea as of today on reading others suggestions and will restart movicol twice a day,not in any real pain just more uncomfortable but it has only been a week,good to know how someone else feels that's on same stage of recovery as me
    • Posted

Just wondered how you were getting on,I started bleeding on day 11 and 5 days later I still am,loss varies throughout the day,no pain with it though so assuming alls well, saw dr who told me this was normal and to rest,so no short walks for me other than round the house at moment,I do struggle with feeling so well but knowi I can't really do anything,still only been 2 weeks today .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.