6mths post op suffering still. help

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all.

full rupture on July 28th had surgery July 29th. Was in cast and boot up to the 9week post op mark. physio has been so in his words my tendon was stiched to tight and scar tissue is causing problems. still not sign of a muscle in the calf when I'm going up onto tippy toes can't do single ones yet. also suffering from circulation my lower leg and foot can be freezing at times. anyone suffering with this

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I ruptured mine end of April and only been able to tip toe on single leg 4-6 weeks ago... get your self a balance board and wobble cushion and literally use it daily, it really helps!

Regarding the scar you need to work it daily with oil (bio oil is good but also mustard oil) slightly warmed up. I would also work it into your foot/ calf and massage daily. I found you cannot just rely on the Physio but need to do a lot your self purely as Physio cannot be seen daily and for hours on end!

Give it a go and hopefully it helps?!

• Posted

I find that my toes will freeze as well.  Especially in the evenings.  I heat up a rice bag (bought from Etsy) in the microwave and use that in bed.  Helps a lot.
  • Posted

Sunflower,

I had almost the same timeline as you. Rupture 29 July, surgery 2 Aug. I had a minimally invasive "through the skin" procedure which left small scar. Stachilles is a bit thicker and still have a little tenderness at heel with occasional swelling (when I do too much walking). Still can't do single leg heel raises, but I can see improvement in the quality of mivrmdnt and less discomfort. I do have some residual numbness in my heel and along the outside of foot and small toes. Haven't experienced the coldness or indications of circulation issues in foot. I think everyone has a bit of a different experience and their bodies heel at different rates. Just saw surgeon last week and he says my progress is satisfactory.

It takes even highly conditioned pro athletes 8 months or more to fully recover. My approach is to TRY to be patient, follow through with PT, regain fitness, and call doc if something seems wrong

Finally, my injured leg looks ridiculous. No muscle tone due to immobility in boot. My wife broke her leg a few years back and it took a good year before her muscle tone and strength returned to normal.

Best wishes for a complete recovery.

• Posted

Hi sunflower.

Sorry to hear about your about your problem.This is the problems with the surgical route and many doctors advise non surgical which I'm doing.

What is your consultant advising you to do about this problem? Will you need  surgery again? M.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.