7 months post opp for lumber decompression

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi hope someone can help me. It's 7 months now since my opp but I now have terrible back pain when I'm active for too long. I also have cramp in the back of my legs. I'm relying on strong painkillers which help but only mask the cause. Is this a normal after effect from my operation. Or, Should I be pain free by now. I still can't bend without sin trauma and I still need to limit my walking distance. I try without tablets but I'm in agony and have to pop the pills.

Thanks Bonnie

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bonnie,

Sorry to hear you are having such bad pain. I'm in total pain every hour of the day so I can sympathise with you but I don't know much about the pain you're having. Have you been to your GP about this? I had the same op done a few years back and have been waiting for my second one for ages (a long story) but the good news is I'm having it done in September.

I'm sorry Bonnie but this reply seems to be more about me instead of you!

If you haven't already done so speak to your GP because from what I do know this doesn't sound right.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

i went to doctors yesterday and it seems this is what I have to live with. She suggested I probably got nerve damage around the operation area which may or may not repair itself - eventually. With great reluctance Iv been prescribed stronger pain killers and will be starting an exercise class via " positive steps" soon. 

Regards 

Bonnie 

• Posted

What type of surgery was it that you had? Microdisectomy, Disectomy or combination of one of those plus Laminectomy?

Have you had Physio? Followed the guidelines at the beginning with no bending, lifting or twisting? Very limited sitting for first 4-6 weeks?

How you treat the back after the op goes a long way to ensuring a successful outcome.

By 7-8 months I was back on my bike and doing most activities I had been doing before. But as I said, you need to get the first few months right if that is to happen.

Oh, and you need to have had a very good surgeon.

• Posted

Hi Scott, interesting read. I had my first fusion done a couple of months ago and it didn't take very long to be back in pain again. I think this was partly due to the fact I didn't take enough time to recover. I'm having another one done next month,only a bigger op,and I will definitely take my time to recover properly!

• Posted

Hi Linda, I am now 14 week post double ALIF surgery. I'm still in pain and I have done this one by the book. I've had 3 surgeries including this one. I still struggle to sit for longer than 5 minutes, unless driving as I have excellent sports supportive seat in my car. I can't stand long as my left leg goes numb.

Unfortunately I think this will be as good as I get. I've still got 5-6 months till the fusion is solid and will see if it has worked at that point. Fingers crossed.

What surgery did you have and what one are you going for next?

• Posted

Hi Scott, I couldn't tell you what they are called I only know the surgeon in Dublin went off plan and did a different fusion that had been talked about here in N. Ireland. Now my Consultant here is having to do a longer fusion, I will get my notes and give you the proper details, watch out though my story is a long story!! Are you in UK or USA? My son is also called Scott. Linda

• Posted

I'm in Scotland Linda, just across the water. Brave surgeon doing something different. Did it not work or not take?

My fusion was L4-S1. Two cages and 8 screws. No rods, thank god!!

Scott

• Posted

Hi Scott, thanks for taking the time to comment.

i had a lumbar decompression on two parts of my spine. Yes, I had hydro and ordinary physio. My back pain seems to be getting worse and it's only relieved with strong pain killers. I also have cramps and spasms. I went to my doctors yesterday and she gave me the nerve response test which was fine. This she says is the outcome of having back surgery and all she could recommend is stronger painkillers. I'm waiting to go on "positive steps exercise" which comes via NHS. Hopefully that will strengthen my back. 

Kind regards 

Bonnie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.